Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bcwood16

Titanfall - impressions

Hi,

As some know I went to the London Game expo and had a blast. I have already added my thoughts on the Wolfenstein New Order gameplay in that thread.

I thought I would do a seperate post for Titanfall so if people want to discuss it they can do it in a dedicated post.

For those that dont know Titalfall is a Multiplayer only (though has a SP feel to it too) online battle between two teams playing as an on-foot pilot who can also jump into giant robots (Titans) and battle with them too. Moving around is very fast due to little jet packs on the pilots backs so you can effectively super jump all over the place along with wall running.

Check out the gameplay trailer.....and yes its just like this in game!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX4nC7JbNQI&feature=player_embedded

Anyway, onto the Expo -

Everyone at the expo kept saying how amazing Titanfall is and with all the great reviews I had to give it a shot. The queue was long, and I got speaking to a few people. After 40 mins, one of the staff came by and asked if we wanted to know anything. My friend asked what it plays like, he said COD, a few people in the line behind me sighed and walked off. I nearly did too, but decided to continue or I would have wasted a lot of time for nothing. As the queue slowly moved forward I eventually was able to watch some players from behind. It certainly looked very CODish *rolls eyes*. I was further put off when I saw the Titans running about, they looked very unrealistic, they moved about with jerky animations (as they changes from forward state to left state etc) and seemed very very floaty, almost like UT2004 style. Its as if they used a human animation system on the giant robots. However, this was a pre-alpha, so lets keep that in mind! As I neared the end of the queue we were taken to watch a little presentation about the game and how to play it. This is when I was quite impressed, it had some great ideas and the gameplay (when you understand whats happening) was pretty neat.

Anyway, I then got my chance and sat down with it, I had to use an Xbox controller so was awaiting my constant doom :( The game started and I watched as my team ran about getting into positions. I experimented with the wall jumping and moving about the map 'fast', it was actually really cool and felt fun. Then the action started, it was intense, sounds were great, guns handled well and felt fun straight away. I then got my Titan and jumped in, that was pretty awesome and did some serious damage to another Titan and killed a shed load of people, eventually I was blown up, I didn't know how to eject so I died, but ejecting is a fantastic look when you see somebody do it…very cool!

Later on I managed to jump onto an enemy Titans back, rip a plate from its neck and aim my gun down into its 'workings' Unfortunately I was shot off before killing it completely, but its great to be babe to do that. I also jumped on the back of a friendly Titan and rode about shooting people from there, awesome!

Overall, despite my lacking ability to use a controller I did pretty well and had a blast. I know there was loads I didn't do or experiment with, so I think the game has lots to offer. Im not a massive fan of multiplayer apart from the UT series. This is certainly going to spark my interest again, the fact it was so fast was great. COD players got into this very easy and did very well, it does have that feel, but it is very fun! The crappy Titan animations I saw earlier were not as noticeable when playing the game, but I do hope this gets tweaked and made better.

Basically it IS worth keeping an eye on! With its very fast gameplay im guessing alot of 'old school' gamers will enjoy this.....hence why im posting about this game here :)

I saw EA and put a boycott on it because I just know they'll ruin it with microtransactions, paid for PLC and "required" DLC (ie. DLC you need to make the game any good, like they did with Mass Effect 3's endings).

I've been pretty stoked for Titanfall since it was announced at e3. Good to know it seems to play as cool as it sounds. :)

SavageCorona said:

I saw EA and put a boycott on it because I just know they'll ruin it with microtransactions, paid for PLC and "required" DLC (ie. DLC you need to make the game any good, like they did with Mass Effect 3's endings).

OH pants! Your right....EA.....*sigh*

Oh well.....next

SavageCorona said:

One of my friends has told me Titanfall is the only game he's looking forward but since its EA he won't be playing it.

That looks actually interesting. Too bad that it'll probably cost 60 Euros, have 15 Euro DLCs and require Origin.

boris said:

That looks actually interesting. Too bad that it'll probably cost 60 Euros, have 15 Euro DLCs and require Origin.

Origin!! OMG.....OMFG!!!! What a massive, stupid, crappy, slow, buggy, frustrating, dumb looking, shity usability pile of hot steamy gooey Caco crap that is!!!!........in fact its not even worthy of being Caco shit!!

I 'had' to use it for Mass Effect 3......the problems.....oh the problems....the amount of emails to customer services to get my account to work properly and get my 'Bioware' points back! Yup, all my credit disappeared, it took months to get it back....I had to prove who I was, what content I owned, when I bought my games, what card I used to buy credit....etc etc.....

Oh no's!! The thoughts and images are flooding back :(

*breaks up into a sob, curls up in the corner and rocks slowly*

Seriously. All EA would have to do to not be shitheads: "Golly, Origin sure was a dumb idea huh? Here's our entire library of games on steam. We even discounted them at %25 because... there is pretty much no other way to say sorry for our dumbness for the last few years."