Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valkhorn

Doom Demos in PRBoom or Doom+ do not work

Has anyone been able to get recorded speedrun demos to work for PRBoom or Doom+? So far, I've not been able to get any that do work for Doom 1.9 to work for either of these ports.

I'd like to be able to view the demos in high resolution.

Well, what are you doing to watch them and what exactly doesn't work? More information please.

I'm launching prboom or doom+ from the command line for each demo. In Doom or Doom 2 (the original v1.9 executible) they work fine.

However, in any port I use the demos fail either in the first 15 seconds or eventually as either the strafing speed or running speed appears to be off. So, the player ends up either bumping against a wall, or killing themselves by running straight into a pile of enemies.

It'd be nice to be able to see these demos in a high def resolution.

Yes, seems like you're watching them with wrong compatibility settings. For example, Boom and plain Doom 2 V1.9 behave differently, so if you try to watch a Doom 2 V1.9 demo in Boom compatible mode, most likely you will get a desync sooner or later.
I highly recommend to get the latest version of PrBoom+ from here. It fixes many compatibility bugs that exist in PrBoom. Then associate it with *.lmp files ("open with" a lmp file, select prboom-plus and check the box called "remember this application" or something similar). Now you should be able to watch demos by just double clicking on them and in 99% cases prboom-plus will autodetect the necessary compatibility settings and you will not experience the desyncs.

Memfis said:

Yes, seems like you're watching them with wrong compatibility settings. For example, Boom and plain Doom 2 V1.9 behave differently, so if you try to watch a Doom 2 V1.9 demo in Boom compatible mode, most likely you will get a desync sooner or later.
I highly recommend to get the latest version of PrBoom+ from here. It fixes many compatibility bugs that exist in PrBoom. Then associate it with *.lmp files ("open with" a lmp file, select prboom-plus and check the box called "remember this application" or something similar). Now you should be able to watch demos by just double clicking on them and in 99% cases prboom-plus will autodetect the necessary compatibility settings and you will not experience the desyncs.

PR Boom + has the exact same problem.

EDIT: I've tried launching the demos as you've suggested and the exact same desynching problem persists.

Okay, which demos/wads? It is also possible that you're trying to watch demos recorded on a different version of the wad from the one you have.

Memfis said:

Okay, which demos/wads? It is also possible that you're trying to watch demos recorded on a different version of the wad from the one you have.

Possibly, but then the compatibility mode would fix this, and the wads haven't really changed that much from version to version, have they?

The demos I'm trying to watch are all here:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/UV_speed

As far as I'm aware, these are all for version 1.9 as they work fine in Doom and Doom 2 version 1.9

Valkhorn said:

Possibly, but then the compatibility mode would fix this, and the wads haven't really changed that much from version to version, have they?

No, the compatibility mode affects the game mechanics but it can't alter the levels. And even a very insignificant change like one wall made one pixel longer can lead to a desync.
Maybe you have old/altered versions of the iwads in the prboom folder, you can check that using these pages:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/DOOM2.WAD
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/DOOM.WAD

If what Memfis say still doesn't work, maybe you can try downloading them from doomedsda.us]DoomedSDA. Other than that I don't know what could possibly be wrong.

EDIT: I tried 3 random demos from the Doom Wiki (e1m9-029.lmp, pl20-043.lmp and u4m6-138.lmp). They work fine with PrBoom 2.5.0 (don't know about PrBoom+).

Interesting. Looks like it's fixing the demo playback. I'm going to run through a few more demos and see if this has it fixed completely.

Thanks!

Are you sure you're not using a hacked/different IWAD yourself? What's your IWAD's type and MD5 checksum?