Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGamingJunkie

Allowing a foe to destroy obstacles between it and you?

I don't want to necessarily have it target the obstacle as a direct enemy, just that it tries to go on a straight path directly to you and, if it's obstructed by a destructible object, it attacks the object to break it. (Edit: Yeah, it was ZDoom)

Do you think you could make the obstacles do very little damage to the monsters that come close to them? And somehow ensure that the monster will always switch his target when hit by an obstacle. Might look goofy though (blood will appear and sometimes the monster will go into a pain state or even die for no reason) but maybe there are ways to avoid this? I just don't know too much about ZDoom editing.

ZDoom I assume?

The first idea that comes to mind it to make destructable objects use A_RadiusGive to give out CustomInvetory items to very nearby monsters, and have monsters that get that item immediately attack the object that spawns it.

You could probably also do something with Thing_Hate if you don't mind using scripting. Fine for a set of custom levels, less good for a general-purpose mod.

You could always do the old a_vilechase trick from Batman Doom and make the obstacles' raise states them being destroyed. Should work fine as long as you isolate resurrectable monsters from this enemy.

Oh man, the contrived measures you have to apply to emulate normal Doom 3 behaviour…

Someone on another forum suggested having it fire projectiles as it walks. I was thinking I could have it constantly fire invisible projectiles that die after a very short distance so it can only hit what's directly infront of it with the projectile using custom damage that only harms the obstruction. Thanks for the alternative suggestions, though, I'll keep them in mind if the projectile one doesn't work.