Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

Calculator Doom

Has anyone tried this? If you have a TI-83/84 Plus Calculator you can put games on them. People have attempted to put Doom on them, and it looks pretty cool. I would try it but I don't have enough room on my calculator.

Video with download link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuupoxmeQ6U

Other Doom Games:
TI DooM v1.3
DOOM
Doom: Epoch Chron

Oh yeah and here's Wolfenstein 3D: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/214/21441.html

And here's a tutorial on how to put games on your Calculator

This reminds me--I swear there used to be this site called something like "Will it run Doom?" that archived a bunch of different systems and machines that were hacked or configured to run Doom in some way. I can't seem to find it anymore, but I don't think it was that old. Anyone recall this?

Nomad said:

This reminds me--I swear there used to be this site called something like "Will it run Doom?" that archived a bunch of different systems and machines that were hacked or configured to run Doom in some way.

The closest a google search could find was our very own What CAN'T run Doom? thread.

Maes said:

The closest a google search could find was our very own What CAN'T run Doom? thread.

Curiously enough, in that thread you posted the exact same video that appears in the OP.

Zed said:

Curiously enough, in that thread you posted the exact same video that appears in the OP.

No wonder, since that TI-83/84 "Doom" thing dates back to the mid 90s -predating the Doom source code release, and of course the very first videos you'll find of it will also be the oldest one around -2008, "old" by Youtube standards.

Anyone know a way to play Doom 2 on an iPhone? I have jailbreak. I know you can download Doom from the app store but what about Doom 2?

Nomad said:

This reminds me--I swear there used to be this site called something like "Will it run Doom?" that archived a bunch of different systems and machines that were hacked or configured to run Doom in some way. I can't seem to find it anymore, but I don't think it was that old. Anyone recall this?

Probably thinking of Itplaysdoom.com, which sadly hasn't been up since March 2007, it seems. Here's the latest wayback link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070320131602/http://www.itplaysdoom.com/

Ah ha, that's the one! Thanks Xaser! Too bad it's defunct, but at least my memory was true!

Xaser said:

Probably thinking of Itplaysdoom.com, which sadly hasn't been up since March 2007, it seems. Here's the latest wayback link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070320131602/http://www.itplaysdoom.com/

Interesting, but some of the information on it is now outdated -if not actually wrong and blown out of proportion e.g. DOOMCOTT was never functional to the degree suggested by that screenshot -it was just a Java applet displaying the titlepic and a screen wipe.

Also, rather than Calculator Doom, nowadays we could also have a Doom Calculator ;-)

Maes said:

Also, rather than Calculator Doom, nowadays we could also have a Doom Calculator ;-)

OK, I read the damned thread like ten times, but I'm not a programmer and I barely understand anything (and what I understood is probably wrong). The numerous technical terms didn't help. To make matters worse, the download links doesn't work. So, a couple of questions. Can you explain me in simple terms what's the general idea? How did the final attempt (this is, the links in the final post) resulted? I know this sounds extremely n00b, but I honestly don't understand. Thanks in advance, and good day.

Zed said:

To make matters worse, the download links doesn't work.

I can at least help you out with the calculator wad, which was sitting on my hard drive. Zom-B might re-upload the others if asked nicely.

The wad's using voodoo dolls to simulate simple logic devices, which can be combined to implement more complex functions. In this case it's a simple binary calculator.

Zed said:

Can you explain me in simple terms what's the general idea?

The TL; DR version is this: someone used Boom's (not Doom's) mapping features to emulate the very basic functions of an electronic calculator, with considerable effort, too. If a calculator was a car, what he achieved can be compared to emulating a single nut and bolt or the spark from the spark plugs, so to speak.

It's mostly a proof-of-concept, which is unlikely to have any practical application:

CONJECTURE: you can emulate the functioning a complete, functional computer (electronic calculator) just by using Boom's game logic with a properly created map.

PROOF: with enough mapping effort, you can indeed re-create the functionality of a few very elementary components of a true electronic calculator using just Boom's mapping features. Once this is done, it's simply a matter of incrementally emulating more components until you get to the point of emulating an entire calculator. Hence, a Boom Calculator, Q.E.D.

Thanks Grey & Maes. I somehow understood the calculator part, but at some point they began talking about Pong and Doom inside Doom and a programmable computer, and there's where I got lost. Thanks again.

Maes said:

I completely missed this thread. Awesome! One of my colleagues actually has a Digi-Comp II, and I was thinking it would be neat to make a Doom level recreation of one. Looks like I don't need to now :)

@fraggle: It seems like you've done it, too. A quick search on idgames came up with this and THIS. I don't know how that ones compares to the other one, but they are cool enough, I think.

EDIT: missing word.

Doominator2 said:

Ha Ha you could play Doom in class with out getting caught!

Wrong on both accounts :-) What you'd be playing wouldn't be Doom except in the loosest sense possible, and getting caught would always be a possibility. IMO, not worth the effort.

Zed said:

It has been done with much better results. Those ones look like Maze Wars or something like that.

I'd never seen this port before; definitely far more impressive. I'm not sure in a practical sense what the difference between the Doom and Wolf3D ports in the OP would be.

StupidBunny said:

I'd never seen this port before; definitely far more impressive.

It must have something to do with it having been developed for a calculator that's, conservatively speaking, a few thousand times more powerful than the TI-83. Actually, that more modern calculator is more powerful even than the computers that most of us veteran Doomers first played Doom on.

codeslicer said:

you could also get a mobile online download

In 2002? Most cell phones weren't even Java enabled, at the time. You had to make do with the built-in games, if any. Nokia Snake galore ;-)

Maes said:

In 2002? Most cell phones weren't even Java enabled, at the time. You had to make do with the built-in games, if any. Nokia Snake galore ;-)

i hear that! :D