Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jazzmaster9

The Observatory

Hey,

if this is only your second map, not bad.

The good:

The light variation and texture usage is well thought out. Your music choice fits well, and your health/ammo balance is good.

The less than good:

You give way more space than necessary for fighting these mostly weak monsters. The only place I really felt threatened was when the archviles came out in that dark hallway. Also, get away from hallways and long corridors, they're very boring to walk down and look at.

E: By hallways I mean that D&D style room to room movement through rectangular, plain hallways. Hallways that are beefed up with open rooms on either side and lots of unique features and connecting areas are fine.

Another thought:

Also try to make these boom compatible, boom had no trouble running this map but my guess is you got lazy about tagging your lines and sectors which is why you made this for zdoom. Here on DW we like to record fda's (First Demo Attempts) mostly just for shits and giggles, but sometimes, as in your case, we can show how your map maybe doesn't live up to your expectations of its difficulty and you can learn from watching people play your stuff.

Overall though, pretty good for a second try.

General Rainbow Bacon
The light variation and texture usage is well thought out. Your music choice fits well, and your health/ammo balance is good.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I try to keep to balance gameplay and aesthetics, and I'm very particular with music choice.

General Rainbow Bacon
Also, get away from hallways and long corridors, they're very boring to walk down and look at.

By hallways I mean that D&D style room to room movement through rectangular, plain hallways. Hallways that are beefed up with open rooms on either side and lots of unique features and connecting areas are fine.

I guess my old Wolfesntein-mapper self is still creeping in every now and then :) i'll try to avoid the square corridors next time.

General Rainbow Bacon
Also try to make these boom compatible, boom had no trouble running this map but my guess is you got lazy about tagging your lines and sectors which is why you made this for zdoom.

Well, Zdoom is my preferred port, but i don't mind making maps for Boom

again thank you so much.

Hey, I commented on your last map. I like this, it feels like a more solid level overall. I liked the archvile surprise/faux-ambush, it played with my expectations nicely. Other than that it was not hard but that's OK. One easy secret and one not-so-easy secret, with appropriate rewards. A good balance.

One thing that might make your levels visually a bit more appealing is better use of light. It felt like there were "dark areas" and "light areas" and not much light variety in either. Apart from some highlighted items I mean. For example if the inside part at the start were a bit darker and you had some lighter triangles coming from the windows to outside, to make it look like the light was actually shining through... stuff like that goes a long way to making your maps feel more detailed.

I got some HOM in one area: http://i.imgur.com/h3PvGUC.jpg . Pulling the map up in DB2, it looks like you have a hidden extra linedef sitting on top of some other linedefs. Do a check with F4 and you should be able to find it. It's part of sector 31, the big outdoor sector.

As far as Boom vs ZDoom, I think ZDoom is a great port and it's fine to make levels that use its features, but this doesn't do anything that couldn't be done in Boom or even vanilla Doom AFAICT. Using Boom in such cases will probably mean more people likely to play your map, and like GRB said record demos. Of course it can be hard to know beforehand whether you're going to use ZDoom features or not, but it's just something to keep in mind.

As far as Boom vs ZDoom, I think ZDoom is a great port and it's fine to make levels that use its features, but this doesn't do anything that couldn't be done in Boom or even vanilla Doom AFAICT. Using Boom in such cases will probably mean more people likely to play your map, and like GRB said record demos. Of course it can be hard to know beforehand whether you're going to use ZDoom features or not, but it's just something to keep in mind.

well in the txt file, zdoom is only a recommended source port, this map is in the doom2 format, but the reason i recommended that port is that it's the one i tested it with; but no zdoom features we're used :)

EDIT: I released a revised version with HOM fixed.

link:http://www.mediafire.com/?fe19ygqfbq15ghu

jazzmaster9 said:

well in the txt file, zdoom is only a recommended source port, this map is in the doom2 format, but the reason i recommended that port is that it's the one i tested it with; but no zdoom features we're used :)

Fair enough, but it's not vanilla-compatible. In Doom the only linedef actions that don't need a tag are doors, exits, and wall scrollers. Things like lifts always need to be tagged.

You should understand, jazzmaster9, that if you're making your map in Doom 2 format (and playtest only in ZDoom) DOES NOT necesarrily mean that it'll be compatible with all ports. There are these certain design/tagging/wad-structure choices - commonly known as "ZDoomisms", so called because they work perfectly in ZDoom, but cause problems in non-ZDoom-based ports. The most famous examples of ZDoomisms are incorrect tagging (using tag 0 on SR doors and lifts), placing a SR linedef just behind a WR linedef, and incorrect inserting of custom textures in a wad. ZDoomisms aren't format or feature related, you can have problems with them in any format you use. I recommend you to find some info about them (there must be some threads here on Doomworld), and definitely actually playtest a map in 'lower' port, to make sure it is compatible.

scifista42 said:

You should understand, jazzmaster9, that if you're making your map in Doom 2 format (and playtest only in ZDoom) DOES NOT necesarrily mean that it'll be compatible with all ports. There are these certain design/tagging/wad-structure choices - commonly known as "ZDoomisms", so called because they work perfectly in ZDoom, but cause problems in non-ZDoom-based ports. The most famous examples of ZDoomisms are incorrect tagging (using tag 0 on SR doors and lifts), placing a SR linedef just behind a WR linedef, and incorrect inserting of custom textures in a wad. ZDoomisms aren't format or feature related, you can have problems with them in any format you use. I recommend you to find some info about them (there must be some threads here on Doomworld), and definitely actually playtest a map in 'lower' port, to make sure it is compatible.

Thanks for the Heads up, i'll be sure to keep this in mind.