Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

If you could make one FPS into an open world game...

Which FPS would it be and why do you want to make it an open world game?

schwerpunk said:

Maybe HeXen? Anything RPGish, really...

I could be wrong, but I think Hellraid is going to be pretty open world aside from randomized dungeons. It seems pretty HeXen-like!

I'd be interested in a Doom 2 open world game done in the style of Borderlands. It'd be fun exploring ruined cities, hellish temples, etc., all while acquiring bigger and better guns. That's really the secret, though, it'd only be interesting if there was something to gain from exploring, and a huge number of different guns to pick up would make it worth it.

As far as FPSs go, my current dream game would be the new Shadow Warrior meets Deus Ex's (and HR's) level design and Hitman's mission structure.

So that.

I'm thinking the other way around: make Just Cause 3 entirely from the first-person perspective. Milk it for all it's worth. Make it the best full-body-aware FPS since Breakdown on the Xbox.

DoomRL. That would be great. Or the Doom RPG that TheSpazticOne is working on.

The Doom universe has enough foundation with plenty of vagueness to allow people with enough imagination to flesh out a great universe...

A smaller scale open world mod for Doom/Heretic/HeXen based on STALKER would be phenomenal or a first person RPG for Heretic based on Diablo with random dungeons and a hub would also be cool.

I'd hope the hub of a Doom game would be a spaceship or a portal. Mars, Phobos, Deimos, Earth and even time itself won't be saved from demons by one man if he doesn't have transportation.

Didn't the original Quake have a hub world based on portals?

Nomad said:

I could be wrong, but I think Hellraid is going to be pretty open world aside from randomized dungeons. It seems pretty HeXen-like!

This looks like the twisted lovechild of Arx Fatalis and Oblivion. Do want.

RPGs seem more suited to open worlds than straight action games.

DooM_RO said:

A smaller scale open world mod for Doom/Heretic/HeXen based on STALKER would be phenomenal

I would play this game forever.

neubejiita said:

Imagine running around in this and sniping Imps and shotguys. In a Doom4 open world sandbox game. Where you do missions for the resistance against the Demons.

Sounds terrible, there are much more enjoyable enemies to fight against in such situations than shotgun zombies and brainless demons that throw slow projectiles.

Canofbacon said:

Has anyone ever made an open world Doom 2 WAD?

Try logging into ZDaemon and playing any of the countless Coop or Survival megawads, especially when they are crowded: they come pretty close to what you'd call "open world", though they lack elements such as persistent characters and inventory.

Deus Ex, I suppose.

I don't think stage-based FPS titles like Doom work as well open world as they do as-is, since being stage-based allows the level design to be tighter and more thought-out. In an open world game, you could be coming from any angle while at any possible strength with any possible set of weapons; you might've skipped an encounter the designer had wanted you to struggle through because the open world nature of the game allowed you to go somewhere completely different first. With a stage-based game, the designer can at least design everything around a pistol start, and make the fairly safe assumption that you're not going to be exiting the areas they're designing for you unless they explicitly allow it.

However, Deus Ex is already fairly open-ended. It's technically stage-based, but those stages are wide open and have a multitude of ways to traverse them to accomodate all sorts of play styles. You can approach your goals from unusual angles - more impressively, they're not even unexpected angles, since the dev team did a remarkably thorough job of considering all possible ways to accomplish any goal in the game. Really, making the game open world just seems like a natural progression instead of forcing design paradigms where they don't belong.

Human Revolution might already count as an open-world Deus Ex game, I don't know. It's still kinda stage-based, given that you can't go from Detroit to Heng Sha and back at will, but rather only when the plot demands it. Still, those two areas are much larger than any stage in the original game, to the extent that it feels open world while you're running about them.

With the Doom open world, I guess you could have an open world hub where you then go into levels. But that might feel as open world as Human Revolution or Vampire the Mascaraed. I guess the big thing about open world is other people exist in it NPCs or otherwise. Is Metroid Prime an open world?

Serious Sam, maybe? The fact that most major fights are teleported in and the gameplay is largely scaled to difficulty and player numbers by default makes this an easy world to adapt and the large-scale arenas could easily be large scale open environments. You could even string it together in a linear story progression like GTA by having a set of relics to unearth that each correspond to a temple with another relic. Chuck in some "Shadow of the Colossus"-scale boss encounters (i.e. the norm for the SS series) and you're all set. Themed weaponry could add to each environment, perhaps, so ammo is only available for certain weapons in a given temple or whatever, thus meaning the player won't be quite so massively over-equipped all the time. Add a pinch of "elemental rock-paper-scissors" to better limit the use of weapons and that's adding a layer to the game that Serious Sam 3 sort of touched with having Khnums only weak to explosives.

Failing that, Unreal. I mean the original, as that felt so epic when I played it through way back when, with such a rich world, that it may as well have been properly open.