Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nicolas monti

vanilla 3d bug.. or a true solid-looking functional bridge

Hi, this is my first 3d vanilla bridge, I'm not a fan of this device (I find it cheesy) but I decided to use one of them on a map I'm making. I followed the rules and everything works fine, the mechanics are pretty simple, the only thing I cannot fix is when the bridge raises the floor flat of the dummy sector takes over the step textures, here are some screenshots:

everything looks fine

the problem

editor view

another additional problems:
- the step textures are missing on zdoom, this should not happen..
- maybe unfixable due to the engine: there's a little spot in the map near the bridge (128 units away) where the player gets blocked, I noclipped and you get at the height of the bridge on that invisible little spot.
thanks everybody!

Flat appearing on the bridge: I noticed that this happens with some nodebuilders but doesn't with others so try choosing a different one in the editor options?

Invisible blocking spot: sounds like you messed up linedef/sector references somewhere, a copy of that area would really help...

Memfis said:

Flat appearing on the bridge: I noticed that this happens with some nodebuilders but doesn't with others so try choosing a different one in the editor options?

Invisible blocking spot: sounds like you messed up linedef/sector references somewhere, a copy of that area would really help...

Man, you were so right!, I changed the nodebuilder from Zennode to bsp-win32, all problems fixed, even that spot thing, I hope this nodebuilder won't bring new unexpected problems. btw, the pics are from my unfinished reticula map06: etruria.

The unexpected blocking is indeed a nodesbuilder problem, and usually associated with (steptop) self-referencing linedefs that share a vertex. Not sharing a vertex (put the end vertex on top of another linedef without connecting it) usually 'solves' it. Or use a different nodesbuilder :)

Mordeth said:

The unexpected blocking is indeed a nodesbuilder problem, and usually associated with (steptop) self-referencing linedefs that share a vertex. Not sharing a vertex (put the end vertex on top of another linedef without connecting it) usually 'solves' it. Or use a different nodesbuilder :)

Fine, unexpected blocking seems to be a well known issue, I solved the problem changing the nodesbuilder (the oldest available with DB solved all my problems) but I'm still interested in your solution, you know that for 3d bridges you're supposed to have a "structure" in the middle of the bridge joined to a dummy sector consisting on self-referencing linedefs, you're saying that even if those lines do not connect via vertexes the bridge would still work?

I wrote a tutorial on that. See this page. Note the placement of the vertices (coloured yellow in the pics). The actual platform is not connected to the dummy steptop lines of the bridge.

Mordeth said:

I wrote a tutorial on that. See this page. Note the placement of the vertices (coloured yellow in the pics). The actual platform is not connected to the dummy steptop lines of the bridge.

Sure, I thought you were talking about the four linedefs of the dummy sector itself being disconnected from each other. As you see above, my problem was caused by the nodesbuilder. I followed your tutorial from the beginning, It was pretty clear and I chose the second option where you can fall from the sides of the bridge, I think it feels more dynamic that way for the gameplay, or natural because for me it's beautiful when you fall and instantly you can pass below the bridge, unless you choose to put railing textures off course :)

btw there is some wrong information at the end of that article. Sound originates from the center of a sector, not from the part with linedefs that have lower numbers. So, while the advice to put the dummy sector a big distance away is good, the explanation is incorrect.