Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

I'm Looking for Some old DOS shooters...

...That are similar to stuff like Blake Stone, Corridor 7, the original System Shock, Alien vs. Predator, etc. in terms of atmosphere and theme.

Because of reasons.

Thanks to anyone in advance! :>

Sci-fi theme, something about space and/or alien planets?

Eradicator comes to mind. It's a solid FPS/TPS from 1996, relatively unknown today.

How about Abuse? It's a side scroller, not an FPS, but it might be the sort of thing you're looking for.

It's not quite DOS, but the Commodore Amiga had its own share of obscure FPS shooters, 10 of which are conveniently packed in this video:

Let's be honest here, most of these FPS were literally a case of too little-too late. Technology and visual-wise, they seem to be lagging 2-3 years behind the curve of contemporary MS-DOS titles, due to limitations of the Amiga platform for this kind of games, but if you are looking for some novelty, that just might be it.

The problem is that you'll have to set up an emulator (WinUAE), disk images, etc. and getting a decent speed will be a challenge even if you emulate the most powerful Amiga hardware that could run them natively. On real hardware, the framerates you see in that video were obtainable only after hefty upgrades, hardly on stock Amigas (except maybe the A3000 and A4000....).

Maes said:

getting a decent speed will be a challenge even if you emulate the most powerful Amiga hardware that could run them natively.

I think at least some of those games supported RTG (Re-Targetable Graphics) as a means of getting around the chunky-to-planar conversion bottleneck, in which case using the Picasso96 driver with WinUAE should boost the framerate substantially.

Nerves of Steel is a pretty bad FPS that I never bothered to finish. It sort of reminds me of RotT.

The Terminator: Rampage is a Wolf3D-like FPS. Unless you have the hints file which tells you the locations of the items, be prepared for some tedious key hunts. Most of the levels are pretty boring in terms of design and layout.

Future Shock and SkyNET are more detailed Terminator FPS games. They use 3D models for enemies, and have large mission-based levels. These two games sometimes have "Where do I go next?!" moments, and there aren't any boss battles and such (except maybe the Goliath robots in Future Shock).

Maes said:

[video]

Some of the games have such heavy head bobbing, you'd think the protagonist works at the ministry of silly walks.

Chasm: The Rift was always a favorite of mine. The levels are sortof Wolf3D layout with 3D models and stuff to hide the lack of height variation, but for coming out around the same time as Quake, I always thought it looked a helluva lot better. If the levels were better, I think it would've played better too.