Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

What's the point of subjects in posts?

They normally are not visible (I think) so other than some witty hidden message to whoever quotes your posts, do they have any actual use for non-first posts in a thread? Can they be seen with some setting? Were they visible by default in some older Doomworld era?

I know on some other phpbb forums I visit the subject is visible above every post. Must have to do with the skin the forum uses.

To my knowledge, DW only has the one skin.

Probably a holdover from those awful threaded layouts forums used to use, where every reply was nested under the OP in the index. Anyone remember *nt* replies?

Also like schwerpunk said, there are layouts/themes that show these titles above posts.

Some forums only show it if typed in, while I've seen others that, for no known purpose, have placeholder text that shows up. Generally it's obnoxious.

I don't get it. Do you mean that you can "put titles" in posts (not threads) in this forum? That seems like an irrelevant feature.

Zed said:

I don't get it. Do you mean that you can "put titles" in posts (not threads) in this forum? That seems like an irrelevant feature.

Well.... try replying to this post ;-)

darknation said:

you know, I never even noticed.

Maybe you need to look closer.

The subject is optional Maes. What's all the fuss? No, I'm kidding. I've actually been wondering the same thing every single time I make a post for as far back as I can remember. Maybe a great and venerable mod will shed some light on this issue once and for all.

edit: I think I actually know the reason, and thus never bothered to ask about it: removing it for reply posts would require more programming, and since it being there in replies doesn't do any harm, they just left it like that.

I think that the subjects are just in the forum code and someone needs to hide the post subjects.