Unholypimpin

Heretic Halloween RELEASED!!!!

What do you think about this project so far  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about this project so far

• I love it!
    • Its a cool idea, cant wait to see more
    • its ok
    • This is blasphemy!! I hate it now go die!!

So this year I will be making a heretic Halloween wad. The wad will feature a series of small maps that will make up 1-4 episodes.
The amount of episodes will vary depending on how quickly I can pump out maps, atm im doing 1-2 maps per day.

The maps themselves will take place in Halloween type locations like graveyards, crypts, mansions, cathedrals and forests.
All maps will have Jack-O-Lanterns which provide light and complete the Halloween atmosphere.

Since my artistic skills are very limited, the Jack-O-Lanterns will look mspaintish and thus make lighten the dark mood of the maps.

THIS WAD REQUIRES ZDOOM AND JUMPING
=========================
No monsters or weapons have been altered in this wad so it should be compatible with all heretic related mods.

Released but not the final version!

http://www.mediafire.com/?1ha5xpy0d478mmb

Heres some screenshots

Maps done so far

-map01 Hollowed Graveyard
-map02 Forgotten Crypts
-map03 Halls of Sadness
-map04 Haunted Forest

Looks like fun, new Heretic maps are always nice and the theme fits. Those pumpkins look pretty crude, but they could be worse. Actually they remind me of goofy/cheap Hallowe'en decorations you'd get at the dollar store, which is kind of fun.

If you're just using ZDoom for custom decorations, you could probably just replace some sprites instead and only require a port that supports new sprite gfx? Not that I personally care since I use GZDoom most of the time, especially for Heretic. Oh well up to you.

Anyhow I'd definitely play this though I feel like trying to get 4 episodes done is a bit much. Quick & dirty maps are a lot of fun, but surely quality over quantity comes into play at some point? But maybe you can do consistently awesome maps in just a day, in which case fine!

The maps are not long at all, plus they are vanilla quality maps so don't expect too much detail. This is for Halloween anyways so the wad itself is mainly just for fun and to show some Halloween spirit while playing through the maps.

I updated the Jack-O-Lantern Sprite so it looks more detailed. I will also be adding more Halloween decorations like spiders hanging from the ceilings.

Unfortunately heretic seems to have a very limited Orange color range so it makes it really hard to make more detailed pumpkin sprites.

I also finished 2 more maps

I might give it a whirl when it's complete. Though I would prefer it if you ditched the jack-o lantern gimmick and just make the maps.

Alwaysdoomed said:

Unfortunately heretic seems to have a very limited Orange color range so it makes it really hard to make more detailed pumpkin sprites.

Make a custom Halloween colour palette! Nice new shots.

I will be releasing a hopefully 6 map beta on the 30th. I was doing 1 map per day till some real life family stuff happened and I have been dealing with that so atm only 5 maps are done.

Hi, these were pretty fun, no demos since ZDoom demo compatibility sucks so I didn't even try. They're quite minimal in design and enemy count, but I sort of knew that going on so it's OK. I think you could've had some more action in some of them, even though you were probably going for "spooky atmosphere" which gets ruined with a lot of hectic combat, some more resistance wouldn't have hurt. Maybe I should've played on the nightmare-style skill level but respawning enemies aren't really how I like to play.

Boss fight was a bit unexpected but a fun change of pace, not hard at all since you can circlestrafe to infinity. The campy dialogue was quite funny.

Maps 1 and 4 were my favourite, they had good atmosphere and 4 especially had a nice design that differed from the rest but still fit your Halloween theme. The only part I didn't really like was the teleporter thingy in map 3, that just feels like a boring puzzle that can only be solved by trial and error.

Anyhow nice set overall, thumbs up for the pumpkins, hope your IRL family stuff isn't anything too serious.