Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Twisted Metal PS3

Yes, I'm well aware this game was released over a year ago. I, however, never got around to purchasing a PS3, and so only played it sporadically. However, I recently moved in with my girlfriend and our roommates own a PS3. Having already bought the game in anticipation of hijacking someone else's box, I've been playing it more extensively recently, and I gotta say, it's definitely the best franchise next to Doom. On the PS3, despite its flaws, the old school sensibilities and deceptively simple gameplay are right up my alley. You really feel like you're in the middle of every great Hollywood action movie every time you play.

This version is the first since Twisted Metal: Black Online to feature online multiplayer, and it totally delivers. It's just too bad the game isn't very popular, so there's only ever a few active servers, though I've always manage to join one whenever I play. The mission objectives in the campaign kinda suck--they're honestly just too difficult to be much fun--but just about everything in this version rocks, aside from the lackluster soundtrack, which is customizable (I prefer a mix of Motorhead, Devo and Slayer).

So yeah, there's no real point to this thread, just sharing my love for the only gaming franchise that has resonated with me in the same way that Doom has.

Oh, and one more thing: What's with all the spoiled haters who initially, during the alpha and beta stages of the game, complained about the graphics sucking? When in motion, the particles, smoke, fire, debris, motion blur and general animation all look great. It has all the fancy new-school touches like animated shadow maps, decent normal mapping and some cool fluid effects, not to mention the giant maps run at a great frame rate, even with lots of effects going off. It's not even a game that needs to rely on great graphics.

I didn't even realize that came out, and I get the feeling I'm not in the minority. Every now and then we talk about Twisted Metal at work and keep saying "They should make a new one!" Though seems none of us were aware they even made one after Black.

Nomad said:

I didn't even realize that came out, and I get the feeling I'm not in the minority. Every now and then we talk about Twisted Metal at work and keep saying "They should make a new one!" Though seems none of us were aware they even made one after Black.

After "Black," there was a 2005 PSP title, "Twisted Metal: Head On." Co-creator David Jaffe wasn't involved, but it was very much in the spirit of the earlier games, and received a PS2 port in 2008 that featured, as a bonus, some really great unused levels from the cancelled sequel to "Black," which was intended to be centered around one giant map with interconnected areas. The port also featured a wealth of behind-the-scenes media, including mini-documentaries and concept art.

I haven't played twisted metal, but I own vigilante v8 and vigilante v8: 2nd offense. I have always loved those games and crazy special attack that the vehicles have especially garbage truck's smashing/devouring attack. Same with the star wars demolition that was literally vigilante v8 copy but with the star wars theme. Rancor behaved in a same way as the garbage truck in the vigilante.