Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Most Chilling Moment in Doom or Doom II?

What is the most chilling/disturbing moment that you have encountered in either Doom or Doom II

For me it would either be in E2M4 when I first saw the scrolling wall of deformed faces, I remember just starring at the faces one night and just letting the music haunt me, or when I first saw the mutilated corpse that hung right in front of me.

The part where I opened the Doom 2 box and saw a CD in there. First game on a CD that I had ever bought. And I realized that 3.5" discs were on the way out.

Also:

Graf Zahl said:

Being splattered by the cyberdemon for the first time on E2M8.

This.

Brickhouse filled with meat and bones on suburbs. That was chilling when I first time saw it as a kid. Thinking how unsettling it would be to see a real building filled with meat and bones of human victims from floor to roof. Also the plutonia 11: hunted was a shock when first time played as you realize there's a lot of archviles purring around you.

reading the very limited story in the manual... the conclusion I got from it was that you, the marine, were already screwed and all your friends were already dead, so you weren't so much a hero as the clean-up crew just there to take vengeance. that interpretation captured my imagination!

it turns out the story develops into Doom 2 where you save everyone on Earth and I was nowhere near as into that. there's nothing chilling or reflective about being a generic hero =P

in the game itself I found MAP28 fairly scary - the striking layout, the amount of upper tier monsters and the music you don't hear on any other stage just contribute to that realization that the character really is in hell.

The room with the dimming lights in E1M5. It took some time to work up the courage to go in there. Also the first time I saw the inverted cross on E2M1. Made me wonder what I was getting into...

I don't remember having any moments like that while playing Doom when I was a kid. Although, I always remember playing with iddqd on, all the time - the idea of being attacked, hurt and eventually killed by the monsters kinda of scared me a little. I think it had more to do with Doom's first-person view and how I felt I, myself, being attacked. :p

Hearing revenants scream while they were still a new enemy to me. The arch-vile room in Map17 of Doom 2 was pretty nerve wrecking, too.

Ragnor said:

Final Doom PSX's Geryon track, when the whistling starts

This. And the soundtrack for D64's Breakdown. The music exemplified the level name well.

Seeing the barons hanging from the walls mutilated in E2M8. I remember thinking as a child, "How could they do that to their own...?"

I treated the original Doom more like an arcade game, in the sense that winning was not possible, so death/game-over was inevitable. Eventually I'd come across an encounter that would seem utterly insurmountable, and that what creeped me out the most.

As for actual terror, the console Dooms will always be the scariest in my mind. Particularly Doom 64.

Vulture said:

Seeing the barons hanging from the walls mutilated in E2M8. I remember thinking as a child, "How could they do that to their own...?"

One of my friend was always chilled by the baron corpses hanging in the babel tower lobby around the doorways

When I first played E1M8, I remember being really scared and surprised when I teleported into the dark room filled with monsters and suddenly my iddqd was gone and I was dying. I was about 3 years old at the time, and refused to play e1m8 ever again until I replayed it at the age of 13 years.

Also hearing the Map30 music for the first time. It was just so different from the other tracks, so creepy and hellish and unnatural and the "bass-footsteps sound" (what I called the bowed pad on this track) scared me the most. Map30 overall seemed to me like the creepiest map in Doom 2, with Romero's head on a stick and the leftover linedef and everything.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I just find that one annoying.

Back when I was a kid, it was quite unnerving, especially how it starts pretty far into the track and how it got louder and louder.

I listen to it for fun while on the bus or shopping or so forth these days :D

Ragnor said:

Back when I was a kid, it was quite unnerving, especially how it starts pretty far into the track and how it got louder and louder.

I still remember that dream I had about the darkened path in the middle of nowhere with it as the music.
Well, there's another map I can start and not finish.

Ragnor said:

I listen to it for fun while on the bus or shopping or so forth these days :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who listens to video game music. :P

The first time I played Doom shareware everything creeped me out. I had seen nothing like it before and every noise and flickering light made me jump.

Avoozl said:

The majority of what I listen to is game music. Its on my phone, Vita, etc. I even burned the MP2s of the Doom and Doom 2 soundtracks to CDs and played them on big-ass stereo systems. I bought Terraria's soundtrack recently too, both part 1 and 2.

Lots of people criticise it as just repetitive noise, unless it has lyrics.

To return to the topic at hand, regular PC Doom has never creeped me out in any way or form. PSX Doom and Doom 64 though, do and still do. I'm slowly playing through Doom 64 for the first time in EX, and its creeping me out regularly. Hell to Pay also managed to creep me out, level 2 has a room where Doom marines get killed and skinned, their remains are hung up everywhere and theres a conveyor belt where there getting shipped off. That room creeped me out to no end.

Simply put, there is nothing more terrifying to me in gaming history than the debut of the arch-vile in DoomII. Stepping towards the blue key and dealing with this creepy, fast-as-fuck enemy caused a nigh panic attack that I've never come close to reaching again... Granted, I was only 7 or 8 at the time, but still... Whoa.

Well when I first played Doom 2 (GBA version) my first encounter of an Archvile wasn't actually terrifying at all, I was first confused as to what the fuck happened when a flame hit me out of nowhere and I didn't even witness the AV yet, but I didn't jump or anything however I was 17 at the time but I never had nor experienced any horror style games (not saying Doom is) around then.

I think it was that level with the cage and an Archvile was inside it, I don't remember which level it was.

Avoozl said:

I want to meet person who plays games but doesn't enjoy videogame music :). Just listened jaguar xj220 soundtrack last night, so soothing, moody breeze especially

I remember my friend daring me to run into the darkness in Waste Tunnels and being torn to shreds. The dark maze in E1M4 and the mournful introduction to the barons of E1M8 were also early frights.

I just asked Dylan as he's young enough to remember more clearly and he says E4M1 because of the nukage, toughness and scary music.

That dark maze in E1M4 always creeped me the hell out for some reason. I mean, my first run through, I was really paranoid of an enemy catching me from behind and startling the hell out of me. These days I'm pretty used to cheap shots like that and can identify where the enemies are without much issue, but that first time must've left an impact, because even knowing I can handle it, I still feel kinda paranoid about going in there.

The dark maze in E1M2 that eventually leads to the chainsaw secret similarly gets me, although nowhere near as badly.