Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Your Top 5 Favorite Doom Players

Hey everyone,

So I was sitting here thinking about all of the players I've known over my entire duration here and thought it would be interesting to get a feel for everyone's favorite Doom players of all time. They can be someone that offered inspiration, influenced your work/play, created something you like, just somebody you get along with, whatever. I'll kick it off.

In alphabetical order:

deathz0r - Helped build Unidoom into the Top™ clan during the 00s. Real cool dude, mostly co-managed the first two UDM wads with me. Australian, kind of a jabroni.

Ladna - Brilliant guy, also cool as hell. Transformed the IDL from a mostly excel based league into an automated statistical juggernaut. Solid player, committed to his obligations. Wish he was around more to this day.

manc - Hoists the community upon his shoulders. Played a large role in many projects throughout our history. Early Skulltag contributor, Odamex project lead, currently hosts a TON of important projects and pages through MancuNET (DRD Team, doomwiki.org, Odamex, SVNs, dozens of personal ftps, etc). Cool dude, does professional level voice work and web design.

RottKing - Old ass Unidoom member. Did most of the heavy lifting on Double Impact. Huge contributor to UDMX. Makes great maps. Pays a lot of attention to detail and is really smart. Great teammate and used to be a top tier 1on1/ctf player. Could still be if he felt like it. Posts odd links on IRC.

Toke - Big influence on me in my early years. Played one of my first internet games with him on Doomserv in the late 90s. We both sucked together and got pretty good together. He drove me to continue to become a better player by whipping my ass. Responsible for some pretty well known duel maps as well as omgmaps in FFA. Was a founding Odamex member. Smart, innovative, and in your face. His passing is still one of the Doom community's greatest losses.

I'd say Altima for his thorough Let's Play videos, and Tatsurdcacocaco, almost solely because I discovered PC Doom through his videos. It was quite amazing thinking you'd played all the Doom there was, then finding out there were a few metric fucktons of levels more :D

This is something I've never really thought about before. One guy that definitely springs to mind is The Green Herring. I've probably watched more of his demos than anyone else, because of his great YouTube uploads. More Doom speedrunners need to do that, it's a lot more convenient to just pop open a video than it is to download, extract, and run a demo nowadays. I remember when TGH completely wrecked all my ScoreDoom top scores at one point, too, never even came close to getting them back, heh.

Also, anyone who posts FDAs in WADs & Mods is awesome.

I can't think in just five, probably a dozen or two, and I'm sure I'm missing some of the great names out there. So, a quick glance through doomedsda resulted in this: Akse, Henning Skogsto, Anima Zero, Xit Vono, Andy Olivera, stx-Vile, Vincent Catalaa, Tatsurd-cacocaco, Cacatou, Grazza, Ryback, Bloodite Krypto, j4rio, vdgg, SAV88, Never_Again, Adam Hegyi, Looper, Opulent, blob1024, dew, Istvan Pataki, Yonatan Donner, gggmork, Kimo Xvirus, Gusta, DidierTranber, Altima Mantoid, Kai-Uwe Humpert, Rizera, Light_Speed, Memfis, Ocelot, Peo Sjoblom, The Green Herring, Revved, TimeOfDeath, Laurent Sebellin, Albert Valls, Ledmeister...

I chose those ones for various reasons. Some of them are great NM Speed & NM100 players (Xit, tatsurd, Vile), some have great TAS demos (Looper, Akse), some of them have strange or unique runs (Grazza, Ledmeister), and some of them are just plain fun (Gusta, Memfis, Ocelot).

Again, I don't know who might be the "Top 5" in that list, but I think we all agree that those ones are among the best.

EDIT2: I wrote Orthography wrong. I can't be more stupid.

More Doom speedrunners need to do that, it's a lot more convenient to just pop open a video than it is to download, extract, and run a demo nowadays.

If only. Even in first world countries, access to reliable Internet with enough bandwidth for watching Youtube is not a given.

I think I like myself the most and I cannot tell a lie. I even watch my demos much more than ones by everybody else.

I've probably watched more of his demos than anyone else, because of his great YouTube uploads.

Fuck youtube.

Phml said:

If only. Even in first world countries, access to reliable Internet with enough bandwidth for watching Youtube is not a given.

Yeah, it's a shame this is the case, but if you can do it, it's nice. Same thing with Twitch, been fun watching peaches run Doom64 now and then.

j4rio said:

Fuck youtube.

'kay.

No seriously, I can't be arsed to upload there anymore, with a site going that downhill I barely see any point. Also, woo, shameless selfpromotion - http://www.youtube.com/armane15. Subscribe or you'll be forced to live for an eternity.

Eris Falling said:

I'd say Altima for his thorough Let's Play videos, and Tatsurdcacocaco, almost solely because I discovered PC Doom through his videos. It was quite amazing thinking you'd played all the Doom there was, then finding out there were a few metric fucktons of levels more :D

Tatsurd was actually the speedrunner who got me really interested in doom as well.

I will not mention "retired" players who are awesome. You all know who are these I am talking about, so I will just mention active players.

gggmork, vdgg, Ryback.
Reason: they are goddamnitly skilled keyboarders.

j4rio, Ancalagon.
Reason: What a duo. Clearly today's most activity/quality coeficient players. Almost everything they record is top top top notch.

I started writing a post but it felt very embarrassing to complement people that would read that later so maybe another time.
And yeah, watching your own demos is always more fun than any other, not sure why exactly.

My favorites were already mentioned in this thread, so I'll try to come up with some great doom players not yet mentioned by anyone (in no particular order):

kunkun: does a great job uploading runs with modern routes for Compet-N Plutonia runs, and, really, anyone with the patience to work on a full movie for Plutonia for Compet-N deserves to be mentioned.

Okuplok: kind of a given: does some of the craziest speedruns for slaughterwads like Holy Hell map 05

JC: very clean speedrunner, and he's done some wicked co-op runs for Compet-N

Alexander Nikulin aka jongo aka anpdad: done some awesome TAS demos, including 30pl1316

xepop: lots of nice trick demos, and 20uv-813 is amazing (though I wish it'd be finished someday)

Doomdaniel95: has quite a large number of demos in the nomonsters category

Kyle McAwesome aka NoobBait: really can't say much about him since I haven't seen much by him (not very familiar with the wads he speedruns), but he's a prolific speedrunner and did a lot of demos for 2002ado and dtwid

Also I'll mention GrumpyCat as a newcomer who makes pretty strong, clean speedruns.

Who are the 5 greatest Doomers of all-time? Think about it...

dew
dew
dew
dew
dew

Because he plays hotfire.

Okay, serious answer, then.

dew - All joking aside, dew's been by far the most helpful player I've encountered on this forum. He was probably the most informative of UR's playtesters and always had an opinion I merited. What's more, the guy's a phenomenal speedrunner. Some of ksutra demos are flat-out impressive.

joshy - Bold confession here: I've never actually seen joshy play a map. Again, this was a UR tester so I may be biased, but I just feel like the guy gets it - he knows what makes a map fun. He can sum up what can make a better as concisely as possible and he's always on the mark. His maps really reflect this, but I always merit his opinion and would love to run through a coop wad with him at some point.

Memfis - This one's a bit different. Memfis is an excellent speedrunner and has recently bloomed into an extremely competent mapper. He also has opinions and he's not afraid to state them. That's something I value. Even when I don't agree with what he says, he usually manages to have a solid grounding in his remarks and I walk away with a full understanding of why some may see the other side of the cloth.

Stx-Vile - His One Bloody Night demo alone is enough to merit placing here, but his flat-out genius UV-Max demos just show a one-of-a-kind talent that always seems prepared to bust out the best demo of the year. Regardless of what its for, I'll download and watch any of his runs.

The Green Herring - At a first glance, TGH can appear to be nothing more than "That CC4 guy" as he led the product for years on end. It's when you pop into the demos forums that you truly begin to see his skill as a player and determination to follow through on his efforts. I consider him to be the jack-of-all-stats of the community - a project leader, a talented DM mapper, a great speedrunner, and a friendly voice to seek out. I believe I played one of the 32in24's for Nitro and encountered him once there as well and the dude cleaned house once or twice.

Unfortunately, I don't DM or demo-watch nearly enough these days and have either fallen out of touch or forgotten a number of names I could have posted here. These were just the first that came to mind for various reasons. Need to back into the swing of things one of these days. I'll cheat and mention that anytime grazza posts one of his bizarre demos it's invariable amusing to watch.

me me me me me

actually Ander's Johnsen and TimeOfDeath's demos are awesome. I haven't watched enough people's stuff to name 5 whole people though. I wish I'd taken more time to watch more deathmatch and CTF stuff. I've had a lot of fun playing Deathmatch with Dr. Sean and Vulture, and you too Ralphis, so I guess you'd all be up there too.

Henning 'don't know his handle' Skogsto, Drew 'stx-Vile' DeVore, and Andrey 'entryway' Budko. Their Doom2 speedruns showed me what was possible. Blew my mind when I first saw them in action on youtube.

Okuplok for his awesome Sunder Runs.

eargoesdown for her AlienVendetta run. Not the most skilful Dooming ever, but enjoyable to watch, and had some great one liners in there.

Vile, Looper, Peaches (Doom 64), Jimmy, Altima

Vile: Is a given, he has dipped his fingers into all of the IWAD's and produced very high quality speedruns at UV and NM difficulty. Many of his demos have kept me up late in the night.

Looper: A mechanical beast and my eventual goal is to produce demos to his standard even if it never happens.

Peaches: skill using an N64 controller is unparalleled. Even if doom 64 does not include some of the norms like glides, RJ's and arch-vile jumps it's crazy to watch him destroy doom 64 on Watch Me Die.

Jimmy: Loving his midi projects, one of the first things I tend to get in my streams is love for the music. Much of the time, these are midi's where Jimmy is involved. I remember playing HR2 on stream and having my viewer count plummet...... largely due to the music.

Altima: His well-made playthroughs influenced me to take a break from RTS (I had played RTS for 17 years before hand) and pick up doom again.

Shoutouts: Ancalagon, Dew, Kunkun, Sedlo

While I didn't stick them in my top 5, Ancalagon is heavily underrated in my eyes. Dew is always willing to help out. I appreciate Kunkun helping me out with the plutonia glides. Normally im not as interested in IL's vs SS runs but Sedlo is an exception.

Adam Hegyi, because as we all know he's the only one who can outrun the revenant's rockets.

Anders Johnsen, j4rio, Sedlo, Ancalagon and fuck I dont know, there are many.

Johnsen and j4rio are probably my favs for their fast, aggressive yet smooth demos

Edit: as Ribbiks reminded in his post below, ill take stuffs into consideration and crown Johnsen king of Doom-players.

The OP seemed to pose a general question that includes demoers, mappers, playtesters, the whole shebang. but seeing as nearly everyone is listing speedrunners, I'll go with that: oku, anc, nev, j4, ToD, ggg. Reasoning should be obvious.

Daniel Lindgren definitely needs to be mentioned here. He basically redefined Doom speedrunning. Truly incredible skill for his time, as some of his demos still don't look dated, even though they were recorded just a couple of years after Doom's release.

My other favourites:

Adam Hegyi, because of his commitment and exceptional movement skills,

stx-Vile, because of his movie runs, aggressive playing style and very good movement skills,

kimo_xvirus, because he has managed to beat a number of nearly optimised runs,

Looper, same as above.

And plenty of others, of course.

nautilus - really cool guy and very good player made some sick maps as well, seems to be taking a break at the moment but usually always up for a game

capodecima - very cool guy and one of the top players in eu for sure, active player who hosts some great servers as well

tom_d - well I don't really know this guy at all but he makes some really bomb tunes I blast this stuff occasionally it's really good big props

rpo - really cool guy and amazing player who took no time to learn the ropes making a big impression in his first games, always up for a 1v1 we had a bunch of tight games, after being accused of being awkward on irc he hijacked a plane and crashed it in australia somewhere so he could visit his family he hasn't been seen since but hope he comes back cause he'd love the stuff going on now

jkist3 - top player for sure probably the best player currently, very impressed watching him win the tournament at quakecon, seems to be taking a break now but wouldn't mind seeing him back

I'm surprised that nobody (except me) mentioned Xit Vono or Akse. The former has some incredible runs (AV MAPS 14 [TAS] and 20 NM, Requiem MAP14 NM [TAS]), and Akse did an amazing Tyson/Reality (TAS) of Scythe EP1.

Zed said:

I'm surprised that nobody (except me) mentioned Xit Vono or Akse. The former has some incredible runs (AV MAPS 14 [TAS] and 20 NM, Requiem MAP14 NM [TAS]), and Akse did an amazing Tyson/Reality (TAS) of Scythe EP1.

I might have mentioned them if you hadn't. Though Akse's no longer active as far as I can tell (I think his unfinished TNT run textfile says something along the lines of him no longer being interested in Doom).