Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soundblock

ZDoom and silent doors

Recommended Posts

Hola. I used to make silent doors in Doom before, transporting the first linedef from the door sector to out of the player's hearing range. It seems this is no longer possible in ZDoom. I guess the sector/linedef sound emit code was altered somewhat, alongside the many improvements made. Anyone know of a workaround to get fast doors in close proximity to the player not make the door-opening noise? Its kinda making my level whistleblow its own traps... Overall a minor issue, but still.

Share this post


Link to post

Linedef numbers don't matter btw. The sound comes from the center of the sector (so if you have two separate parts, the sound will play somewhere between them).

Share this post


Link to post
Da Werecat said:

Of course, if you're making an advanced ZDoom map, there should be a more elegant way to make silent doors than to use vanilla tricks.

Indeed, such as allocating a silent sound sequence to the Door sector.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not exactly making Doom Center (more like vanilla with blueberry chunks) but would naturally still like the map to run according to plan.

Many good points, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

Linedef numbers don't matter btw. The sound comes from the center of the sector (so if you have two separate parts, the sound will play somewhere between them).


I heard about this workaround earlier... However, when I tried moving the sound away from the center of the map by splitting sectors, but that didn't work. The sound seemed to stay exactly where it was before the split...

Da Werecat said:

The old behavior can be restored via MAPINFO.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compatibility_options

compat_sectorsounds = 1

Of course, if you're making an advanced ZDoom map, there should be a more elegant way to make silent doors than to use vanilla tricks.


Sorry for being a complete n00b, but where do I set this function and how? SLADE 3? I'm a complete dolt when it comes to code, but I do learn semi-randomly at a somewhat decent pace, if you'll bear with me. Is there a way to have the wad file automatically set this function in ZDoom?

My plasmaplant.wad's just about done anyway, and works just fine with audible doors, but it does add an iota of suspense without them, so I'd love to be able to adjust these before release.

EDIT: Typo.

Share this post


Link to post

Have you created a ZMAPINFO lump in your .wad file? If not, then yeah, you can use SLADE 3 to do so. Put compat_sectorsounds = 1 in the map definition.

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

Have you created a ZMAPINFO lump in your .wad file? If not, then yeah, you can use SLADE 3 to do so. Put compat_sectorsounds = 1 in the map definition.


Went ahead and created an entry [SLADE3 menues: archive->new->entry] in the level wad, but when I put " compat_sectorsounds = 1" in the only available input area for this new entry that I can find in SLADE3 (the "entry contents" window, with a "text language" dropdown in it), it ends up with Doom Builder giving me the following error message when I try to run the map:

>>
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "plasmaplant_463.wad:ZMAPINFO" line 1: compat_sectorsounds: Unknown top level keyword
<<

EDIT: At a guess - I'm not creating the lump right?

Share this post


Link to post
Soundblock said:

Went ahead and created an entry [SLADE3 menues: archive->new->entry] in the level wad, but when I put " compat_sectorsounds = 1" in the only available input area for this new entry that I can find in SLADE3 (the "entry contents" window, with a "text language" dropdown in it), it ends up with Doom Builder giving me the following error message when I try to run the map:

>>
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "plasmaplant_463.wad:ZMAPINFO" line 1: compat_sectorsounds: Unknown top level keyword
<<

EDIT: At a guess - I'm not creating the lump right?

How is your ZMAPINFO lump formatted?

Try the following:

defaultmap
{
compat_sectorsounds = 1
}

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×