Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YouAreTheDemons

How do you open .7z files with GZDoom/Slade3

A few minutes ago I downloaded a mod for Doom called "Accessories For Murder", but it's stored in ".7z" file format. How do I open this in GZDoom or Slade3?

I had the exact same problem when I downloaded some shovelware CD's from archive.org. I tried for weeks and couldn't do it (they were .lhz or something like that), so I just unzipped the files, as Obsidian says.

Well, for the purposes of playing them, presumably they'd be in .PK7 format instead (actually the exact same format as .7z, but with a different extension), and you'd just drag it onto the EXE and run with it. But as far as looking at the contents of them go, yeah, you'd decompress them with WinRAR or something.

Ordinarily, GZDoom and Slade3 will handle 7zip files as is.

In this case however, because a pk3 file is inside a 7z file, GZDoom cannot open it.

Slade3, on the other hand, will open the 7z file and then show a pk3 file. Click on that to open it.

Kappes Buur said:

Ordinarily, GZDoom and Slade3 will handle 7zip files as is.

In this case however, because a pk3 file is inside a 7z file, GZDoom cannot open it.

Slade3, on the other hand, will open the 7z file and then show a pk3 file. Click on that to open it.

I can't open it with Slade3. It won't even display it in the file menu.

You don't need SLADE for this task, instead...

GreyGhost said:

Use 7-Zip to extract the contents (a .pk3 and a text file) and go from there.

Doominer991 said:

I can't open it with Slade3. It won't even display it in the file menu.

Good point, .7z doesn't appear to be a supported format.

Supporting the 7zip format (as well as a few others) in Slade 3 is planned but with no precise place on the milestones. At the moment, the zip support code is still WxWidget's built-in one, which means it only supports STORE and DEFLATE zip and everything else is not recognized.