Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

[STUPID] Demons seem to take more shots for some reason

I noticed as of recently, Demons seem to be able to take more than 2 shotgun shots, up to about 3, despite it normally takes 2. Is my aim weird or has Zandronum and GZDoom changed up something? It only seems to take another 1-2 extra bullets though, but all 14 pellets hit it from the shotgun. Super shotgun always takes 1 though. It only ever seems to do it when I do it right up close, if I step back a bit it only takes 2.

I know it's stupid but I just started noticing it since it didn't do that before.

Pretty sure it's been like that since Vanilla Doom.

You can kill a demon with two shotgun shots, if you're lucky. But most of the time it takes 3.

Weapon damage is randomized. Sometimes 2 shots is enough, sometimes you need 3. It's perfectly normal.

I'm not familiar with the numbers, but I do think it's more likely for them to die in 2 shots than in 3. Makes those 3-shot times really frustrating.

I've even seen it take 4, but that's probably just my aim. :P

For the normal shotgun? Pinkies usually take three shots for me. Two is only when I'm particularly close to them and particularly lucky.

As such, I usually break out the SSG instead, because it only takes two shells and usually fells them in one shot.

When I'm fighting against a lonely pinky, if it doesn't die with the second shotgun shot (that is, most of times), I usually switch to the chaingun to finish it off.

Shadow Hog said:

For the normal shotgun? Pinkies usually take three shots for me. Two is only when I'm particularly close to them and particularly lucky.

As such, I usually break out the SSG instead, because it only takes two shells and usually fells them in one shot.

I'm talking about Doom 1, since in Doom 2 I always used the SSG over the regular one except in the first 2 levels.

A shotgun blast can do up to 105 hp damage(if all 7 pellets inflicts 15 hp damage)but will usually do between 70-80 on average, so its pretty normal to kill a demon in 2-3 shots.

Ssg blast delivers 20 pellets so it can do some serious damage and kill demons in a single shot. (do the math considering each pellets dealing between 5-15 hp)

SFoZ911 said:

A shotgun blast can do up to 105 hp damage

I don't think this ever happens due to the Pseudo-random number generator. The PRNG also prevents killing a Cyber in 1 blast, otherwise the maximum would be 4280.

SavageCorona said:

I'm talking about Doom 1, since in Doom 2 I always used the SSG over the regular one except in the first 2 levels.

Right, but the normal shotgun's the same in both games. Pinkies tend to take me 3 shots more often than 2 in both.

For me, it is very rare to kill pinky with two shots. All the time, it is just three shots. I blame RNG gods.

CorSair said:

For me, it is very rare to kill pinky with two shots. All the time, it is just three shots. I blame RNG gods.

Out of every ten demons I kill with the regular shotgun, one or two die with only two shots.

SavageCorona said:

So aim slightly to the left or right because of dumb hitbox glitches?

Yes, and no. There's no way of actually knowing an enemy's position on the blockmap during play, and because they're always on the move readjusting your aim to compensate will usually not have the desired effect. So unless you're just firing down a corridor which exhibits this bastard glitch all the time, then it's best to just aim as usual.

It's weird because I only just started getting this, I ALWAYS got 2 hit kills in the past since I was blasting those fuckers in the late 90's.