Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyberdemon531

Any way to force a player out of bounds?

I am trying to use OoB in one of my maps and I am trying to come up with ways to get a player out of bounds.

Only method I have found is using teleports and mapspots (zdoom), but I want it to be more creative.

Any ideas?

Make the player already spawn out of bounds at the beginning of the level, and hide this truth from him using clever architecture surrounding his way, so he won't realize he's actually outside. Then at one point let him realize.

scifista42 said:

Make the player already spawn out of bounds at the beginning of the level, and hide this truth from him using clever architecture surrounding his way, so he won't realize he's actually outside. Then at one point let him realize.

That's some Matrix shit right there. Great idea.

You could probably mark one linedef as not Impassible or something? I was actually wondering if that would work, earlier.

Of course, you'd need to have some way of cluing the player into realizing they can leave the map this way; a trail of health or armor bonuses would suffice.

Make an extra sector, 1-sided lines and not connected to anything else. Pick the wall you want to go OOB, change it to two-sided and not impassable, add the second sidedef and change the sector index to your extra sector. Then, delete the other linedefs on your extra sector. (You probably want to save this step until the end, just in case DB does some weird re-indexing.)

I used BSP-W32 to build nodes, because it seems better for weird stuff like this, but I didn't test the other nodebuilders to see if they made a difference.

Also I had some trouble getting a structure that didn't cause HOM or other visual errors until you passed through the wall. That winding corridor with the extra linedef did the trick, I don't entirely know why.

EDIT: The extra sector should have the same floor/ceiling height as the sector you leave from, probably. Don't know how things will work if it doesn't.