Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fellowzdoomer

Best SNES game you've played?

Finally! I post a poll! Have you ever had an snes?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Finally! I post a poll! Have you ever had an snes?

• Yeah, the ACTUAL.
    • It was an emulator.
    • No, my parents wouldn't give me entertainment.
    • Whats an SNES? -.-

Jayextee said:

Super Metroid is the best game on the format. Bar none.

It's pretty much the only first party Nintendo game I actually like.

I honestly can't pick just one game so I will pick a few.

Actraiser
Castlevania 4
Chrono Trigger
Demon's Crest
Final Fantasy 6
Secret of Mana
Terranigma
Zombies Ate my Neighbors

Super Mario World: One of the few games I can sit down and beat all the way through. I love Sonic, but I could never keep myself entertained long enough to marathon like I can with Mario World.

EarthBound: One of the few RPGs I can sit down and play multiple times. I love the humor.

The system probably had the most consistent library of any console. So many classics can be found on the SNES.

Looking at everyone else's best games >>

I have decades of memories over Super Mario World. From when it first came out and I played it at Walmart, had my ass handed to me. To being adults playing the game with people until their kids woke up fro school. Being young and having sleepovers with friends playing it. Designing levels for Super Mario World ROM hacks. I'd have to say Super Mario World is my favorite game. I've beaten it countless times. I've owned it on GBA too. It was a lot of fun on there too.

Speaking of games I have constantly beat. I'd beat Link's Awakening every Sunday with a gf of mine. Wake up early or not go to sleep, and beat it by 6 or 7 pm. Every Sunday. I bought it for GBA as well and breezed through it. Never touched it again. Its a good, quality game. Lots of fun, but the fun isn't as constant as Mario.

Earthbound, I think I've seriously played it twice. Once with my neighbor and we plodded through one Summer with no sleep in his new house. The strategy guide had scratch and sniff. We just blew through it like all RPGs really. I remember almost nothing about it. Then I played it a few years ago as an adult. Got far. Still remember nothing about it. I think the whole fetus final enemy thing is more interesting than the game. At least it was a RPG in a modern setting.

I really liked Megaman X, but I felt the original Megamans were better. Megaman X just felt too big on screen. He had a lot of good tactics that added to the game and made it different. I just didn't play it as continuously as previous Megaman games. Like I had been burnt out on Megaman games before playing X. Then when I bought X2 and X3 I think I literally played them once, didn't like either one and went back to Megaman X.

Super Metroid was absolutely amazing. I still play it every other summer until I get bored with it and move on. Its a gorgeous game with a lot of depth and exploration. Its just fun and interesting. I think that I've beaten it once, but come close a lot of times. Its a game where you make your own goals, mostly getting to things you find.

Castlevania 4 was a lot of fun. Great looking and basic game. It has some good tactics and gameplay, but its just simple. Move left, move right, thankfully the game has a swing mechanic. It seems very straight forward like Castlevania 1, but that's not taking away from the fun at all. Its like a tour with beauty all around you. Since you move so slow, the beauty really helps. I think I've beat it once, but come close several times. Its always a lot of fun to play and you can get far without a real challenge and that aspect makes a game more consuming.

Secret of Mana was a lot of fun too. I conquered it a lot with my neighbor. When I grew up I played it a few times almost to completion too. It was a fun and interesting game. Since I had played Final Fantasy Legend, it was good to see everything expanded upon. It was good to see Square's version of Zelda. It was more fun than Zelda, whether it is multi player or a variety of weapons. It is still just as interesting as Zelda. Finding Santa, finding invisible enemies. I still have a lot of the tunes in my mind too. Like whenever I sprint somewhere I have the Dwarf song in my mind. A lot of other games have catchy music, but this one I apply to real life. I think I bought the GBA version and then never played it past 10 minutes.

Donkey Kong Country 1 I really loved, I'd complete it every weekend it seems. The levels were fun and the gameplay was just more complex than Mario. I even had the soundtrack on cassette. I like it more than DKC2, because its easier and quicker to complete. That's what I enjoy about a lot of games, ease to complete. Not easy I guess, but I can just go through it before I get bored of it.

Donkey Kong Country 2 has been a slog for me as an adult. I play it with one of my cousins as adults. She had completed it when she was a kid, which seems crazy to think a kid would complete it, but her save file says its true. We've gone through the game 2x now in the pas 4 or so years. Her SNES burnt out playing it and we just bought it for the Wii and had to start all over again. Dixie adds a lot of interesting things like hover, but for the most part she's really just DK with a new skin. The game was a true hardcore challenge. I don't think you're meant to finish the game, which is good, but for that I just like it less than DKC1. No matter how many times we failed playing it, we kept going. When I played it alone 15 years ago I just got tired of the challenge and moved to other games. As for DKC3 I just uh didn't like the map and that just got in the way.

Mortal Kombat games. Never played the first one, the second one actually got me into it. Playing against people as kids just lead to us turtling up and waiting for the uppercut opening. It was just cheap. MK3 was enjoyable one summer but I had less fun playing it, more fun watching it. UMK3 was a lot of fun to play. Even though its the same, it just felt better than MK3. I think I like the MK series in general, because it feels less stiff and slow than Street Fighter 2. I'm more into the MK lore. Its some good senseless Startrekian lore that doesn't always make sense. Oh and also MK games.... I have them for a ton of platforms. MK is the first game that playing the 'arcade perfect' version of MK2 and MK3 and so on, I realize.... when you lose, the game downgrades the difficulty so you keep going. I remember how awesome it was to beat Kintaro and Motaro. Specifically picking people I knew that could beat them. Like Jax. Oh and I was also dumb enough to buy MKAdvance for UMK3 and it was just so terrible. Inaccurate controls, it just felt very off.

Sim City was an awesome port. I loved that game. I remember playing it all throughout winter break one time, stuck in my step dad's house with a major blizzard burying his house. My step dad is a mayor. He was watching me play the game. He was telling me what would work and what wouldn't. He was having a laugh over some of my logic like cutting road funding.... and watching the roads go to shit. I played it with a friend and specifically made a ghetto.... that just randomly burnt down. I dusted off the game a year ago and gave it a try. I scored my first metropolis. I was blown away. I had played it for so long and yet never got a metropolis. In fact a lot of times I'd have such a big city that everything would start lagging and I'd have to restart the game. Its a lot of fun and much better fun than Sim City 2000.

Contra 3: Alien Wars.... action movie insanity mutha fucka. Sure it was difficult. I grew up playing the game with a friend, we got far, beat it a few times. Then when I was in college, I'd complete the game daily if not a few times daily. I think I had a playthrough on some website for no deaths. I think several Xoom accounts housed it (in pieces). When I got so good, my friend's little brother always wanted to watch me go through the game. Then all of his friends would want to watch too. They were a decade younger, so they'd always be blown away. It was a lot of fun playing on their gigantic nearly wall sized TV screen. That game was always a lot of fun. Then I bought the Contra Advance game... it was just amped up difficulty without the fun. Having only 1 gun if I remember correctly just seemed senseless when there are L + R buttons to switch.

F-Zero was fucking awesome. My friends and I played that a lot... which is weird since it wasn't multiplayer. The whole 'about to blow up' was good for the laughs. I don't think I was good at it until college and used an emulator. I played the fuck out of the game for months. Using a keyboard was really precise. It was a lot of fun. I filled the game up with my high scores since Emulators held them long term. Game looked good. I always have their music in my head. Its probably the best or 2nd best racing game.

Mario Kart was pretty awesome too. My neighbor and I played that game a lot. Competitively. We got so good that we'd be able to jump the red shells. Not just jump but constantly jump, because they'd still come back after you after you jumped them once. It was a lot of fun to unlock the cups. The game was just silly, wacky, bright, colorful and included everything that was Mario. I played it a lot in college too. To this day I think its a lot of simple fun to play it. I'd say more fun than playing other Mario Karts. Even though there's less variety in the tracks than newer Mario Karts, it just feels good to play it. Going through the GBA version was a lot of fun and then unlocking the SNES tracks was mind blowing.

If we generally speak of childhood gaming memories I always remember specific super mario bros 3 marathon I had with my friend one day all those years ago. My friend lived in old house and he's room was upstairs and the woodfloor was cold there. He had like 100 nes games and so we had awesome library to pick games to play. We sat on that floor hours staring cathode ray tube television sipping soda at the same time. When we were in world 8 castle of koopa with tank levels and all something weird happened. I tried to get up put my feet were so numb after hours and hours of sitting in lotus position that I tought I was paralyzed, finally after many minutes blood started circulating faster and I could stand up. Dam it was weird sensation back then
but I wouldn't change a thing about those wasted days playing with friends indoors.

geo said:

Speaking of games I have constantly beat. I'd beat Link's Awakening every Sunday with a gf of mine. Wake up early or not go to sleep, and beat it by 6 or 7 pm. Every Sunday. I bought it for GBA as well and breezed through it. Never touched it again. Its a good, quality game. Lots of fun, but the fun isn't as constant as Mario.

You mean A Link to the Past, right? Link's Awakening was the Game Boy/Game Boy Color game. (And, personally, the better of the two...)

Shadow Hog said:

You mean A Link to the Past, right? Link's Awakening was the Game Boy/Game Boy Color game. (And, personally, the better of the two...)

lol yeah A Link to the Past. I did have Link's Awakening though. Different stories.

Best game for me is Super Mario Kart. I still have some non-nbt time trial world records on that game. I've got 2 or 3 snes's in a box, plus a PAL snes, but haven't played them in a couple years.

I played Super Metroid on ZSNES many years ago and the gameplay was pretty impressive

If I was going to pick a SNES game which I only got to play on either an emulator or a port on the GBA, I would have to pick The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

-Chrono Trigger
-Darius Force
-Donkey Kong Country 1-2-3 (my favorite is the 3rd)
-Gradius 3
-Megaman 7, probably my favorite classic megaman
-Megaman X (the other 2 not so much, maybe because I played the 1st one more than the other 2)
-Metal Warriors
-Space Megaforce/Super Aleste
-Super Castlevania 4
-Super Mario All Stars
-Super Mario World
-Super Metroid
-Zombies Ate my Neighbours

And the Doom port, but only because of the music
Contra 3 is also pretty good, but the 5th level just ruins it for me

I'm back again with another wall of text >>

Illusion of Gaia I really enjoyed and I was surprised by it. But hey Zelda gameplay with a few twists here and there. Especially having real life wonders of the world. I completed it with my neighbors and it brings up pretty weird memories I'll spare you of. I played it as an adult too when I was sick on a couch. Got pretty far, but well once I was healthy, there went my interest. It had a lot of good mechanics in it for puzzles and stuff. It just took me longer to get immersed in it. Plenty of talking / reading.

Gradius 3 I still fucking love and I'll play it every once in a while still. I love the additions they made by having different loadouts. That added some replay value to it. Its easy and fun to play. Although I think at some point you end up screwed by how fast things get. I love every Gradius game.

Megaman 7 I played maybe a year or two ago for the first time. It was a lot of fun and I like the way it has 4 bosses to start with, then 4 more later on. In a way I feel its benneficial to not get overwhelmed. Now as an adult I just don't know where to start with Megaman bosses so I liked the limitations. If I could sink more time in it, then I'd enjoy having 8 stages to explore off the bat. Since its the only SNES Megaman non X game it feels like an anomaly. Its still an approachable and fun game.

Final Fight is something I bought last week oddly enough. I've owned it on 3 different platforms. Playing the arcade version is just impossible. Life crushing within seconds after the first level. I've gone through it a lot even as an adult, but it really just feels like a chore to complete. There's just not that much depth to it in my opinion. I like how the PSN version has drop in co-op. My neighbor and I completed the SNES version pretty quick, which is kind of a problem for people that bought it for $50.

Double Dragon 4 was the best beat em up from the SNES. Unless I've forgotten something. There was a lot of depth to it. I used to complete it with friends a lot. I completed it every so often over the years. Good enemies, good music that sticks in my mind to this day. It can sadly feel like a chore, but maybe that's just a problem of beat-em ups in general.

Turtles in Time mutha fucka. Yeah turns out I did forget about something on the SNES. This was probably the best SNES beat-em up. It was fun to play with or without friends, because there were different gameplay mechanics and bosses that were different than just another big enemy. Plus well, Turtles. The game is a breeze though, I went through it sometime last year fully expecting to play it 10 minutes and before I knew it, the thing was over. I also played the fuck out of TMNT 2 and Manhattan Project as well. Quality games.

Aliens 3 was good, but I can't really remember if it was all that fun. Like I remember going through it all twice and being really impressed. There was a lot of content and a ton of challenge, but I can understand if people hated it. All of the levels look alike, it was pretty complex to navigate and well everything just killed you. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it was a quality movie tie in. I remember spending an hour on each level. The jump was really uh weird and gravity defying.

Star Fox was okay and fun, but really too quick. It was sadly just a breeze to play through.

Robocop vs Terminator was fun too. I played it several times over the decades, got pretty far then just moved on for life. Its pretty stiff, but its still a good game.

I had a SNES which only had DKC and Killer Instinct on it, but my dad found an emulator on a disk (yes, a disk) which had a bunch of SNES games like DKC2, a Duck Dodgers game, Casper, Bart Simpson's Nightmare and some others, all of which I still enjoy today with the exception of Casper, which I find dumb.

geo said:

Aliens 3 was good, but I can't really remember if it was all that fun.

actually my favorite snes game. The music was awesome, the atmosphere was brutal. The only shitty thing about it was the ending... having shot my way through twenty thousand fucking aliens you'd think someone in the office would have thought 'm'kay, maybe we should let the player shoot the alien queen now.'

I particularly liked how the game had fuck-nothing to do with the movie. Smart move, probe. Move game tie ins should take this approach.

My favorite which is actually on the top list (at number one) is Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Its one of the few games I have mastered, no death, 100%, fasted 100% speed run at 3:20 (3 hours, 20 mins). I could be faster but I take my time, not a competitive speed-runner.. But if I played it on emulator.. I could try TAS.

Up next has to be Star Fox, I also have done numerous runs, sadly Route 3, I only 100%'ed once.. ONCE, every other time.. FUCK YOU FORTUNA! >.< 97% my ass.

darknation said:

actually my favorite snes game. The music was awesome, the atmosphere was brutal. The only shitty thing about it was the ending... having shot my way through twenty thousand fucking aliens you'd think someone in the office would have thought 'm'kay, maybe we should let the player shoot the alien queen now.'

I particularly liked how the game had fuck-nothing to do with the movie. Smart move, probe. Move game tie ins should take this approach.

I think when I watched the final battle, I just rested after some insanity. I remember doing the last 2 levels back to back.

Yeah I wouldn't want a single alien game with no guns UNLESS it was a Walking Dead Style game. But hey Sega is going to publish another Aliens game where you play as Ellen's daughter. I should go digging for my shitty screenplay I did when I was 15 about Ellen's daughter going out to find her mom and only finding Aliens.

Anyway, back to the SNES version of Aliens 3, a company did a modern Aliens 3 type game for 3DS or DS that I heard was one of the best games on the system. Especially since when your marines die, they're dead for the rest of the game.

I saw someone mentioned Illusion of Time that was definitely one of my favorite Action/Adventure games of that category, it was one of those rare masterpieces compiled together through a series of arbitrary and random events all occuring at the right time. It wasn't as mind numbingly tedious or confusing as Zelda, but far more action orientated and wow the orchestral soundtrack on a 16 bit cartridge!

All I remember of Aliens 3 is that it was ludicrously difficult.

Necromancer-AMV said:

I see this was only released in Japan, did the original not sell as well in the States I assume? I have fond memories of the first game.. but it demands a lot of exploration, I usually played it with my brother but my god it's beautiful..

I never played Chrono Trigger because that just looks like one huge tedious grind fest for experience like Lufia not good, and just obnoxiously huge and would take months to complete.

Oh and U.N Squadron / Area 88 is an absolute classic Capcom Shoot em up!

God damn you Mobygames for ruining your website! What was wrong with the old layout? It was perfectly functional and easy to look at, now it's an integrated mess of scripts and pseudo pop ups.

Mithral_Demon said:

Up next has to be Star Fox, I also have done numerous runs, sadly Route 3, I only 100%'ed once.. ONCE, every other time.. FUCK YOU FORTUNA! >.< 97% my ass.

Yep I got 100% on Route 3 once or twice now, no deaths, I even took a picture of the TV with my phone xD

The main problem I have with Fortuna are those Sea Dragons mid way in the level, I'm sure they can one shot you or at least do 3/4 damage. Sector Z was horrendously difficult no matter what strategy/technique you try to implement from what I recall, Macbeth needs practice to avoid all the projectiles and timing. Oh and The Great Commander is a horrendous behemoth of a boss.. Then good luck trying to get through the vamped up hardcore tunnel to Andross without crashing unless you've practiced it before! xD

Well I was young at the time so go figure! I recall it does require minute reactions as Aliens can suddenly spring from the sides or off screen.

I played it relatively recently, 4-5 year ago. Most of the games seem easier now. Although when I tried to play other versions (for Genesis, for NES), I thought they were harder, and not in a fun way.

Bloodite Krypto said:

I never played Chrono Trigger because that just looks like one huge tedious grind fest for experience like Lufia not good, and just obnoxiously huge and would take months to complete.

Just want to mention that this is entirely not the case. My first playthrough of Chrono Trigger ended up being fairly short because I'd skipped a number of battles. It's actually rather tough to grind the game, which is why it's one of the very limited amount of JRPGs that I enjoy. Also my favorite SNES game.

Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Kirby Super Star, and Link to the Past are all in second place because I can't decide. :P

Is it as long as Final Fantasy III/VI? That literally did take me 2 months to complete, but it was finding absolutely everything and all the optional side quests.

It probably is. Frankly, I've not finished every side quest yet, but I play in long stretches where I'll beat an entire quest in one sitting or so, then come back a few weeks later to do another. One thing that really helps is that each battle is made with strategy and character placement in mind. Since there's a lot of directional and AOE techniques, where you aim is as important as what you use. This dies down later on, but by that time, you've been introduced to elemental resistances and all manner of special abilities.

SNES was THE platform for me. I own somewhere between 30 and 40 games for it. Super Metroid also gets my vote for #1, but there are so many others that are also superb.

A few I can name off the top of my head... Star Fox, Stunt Race FX, Super Mario RPG, Zelda:LttP, Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All-Stars, Mario Paint. But that probably reads like a top ten list from some website. Some more obscure titles I like are Tetris 2, and Battle Clash and its sequel Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge.

A few I like that seem to be otherwise universally reviled or (in my opinion at least) unfairly criticized are Yoshi's Safari, Jurassic Park, and Aladdin.