Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fellowzdoomer

Best SNES game you've played?

Finally! I post a poll! Have you ever had an snes?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Finally! I post a poll! Have you ever had an snes?

• Yeah, the ACTUAL.
    • It was an emulator.
    • No, my parents wouldn't give me entertainment.
    • Whats an SNES? -.-

I heard David Wise is returning for donkey kong country tropical freeze for wii U. Well It might be right time to buy wii U now because of that. I listen dkc soundtracks and remixes on youtube from time to time and return of david wise's music to dkc is something big.

The Mortal Kombats come to mind, specifically II and UMK3, and I always liked the first Super Star Wars the best. I also, quite personally, enjoyed Primal Carnage, and Mega Man X was fun too.

No one said super punch out yet and its one of my favorites. If there was a punchout community providing customized unique really hard enemies or even just same graphics but redone behavior, it'd be that much better (even doom2 would be much worse with only the iwad). Pocky & rocky/ lufia ii probably weren't mentioned yet. Super smash tv.

I never got into Super Punch Out. Game looks great, but well.... I have little rhythm and timing :-)

I actually came here to mention what you just did...

Super Smash TV was always a lot of daunting fun. I have it on a few platforms and I remember completing it quite a lot with my neighbor. Its an impossible game. I remember he'd make us restart if either one of us died before the 2nd stage. In the long run, that was best. I never figured out what the 16 keys thing was. Maybe it was a way to keep people pumping quarters in. While I don't consider it the best of the best, its still fun. Total Carnage was less fun and it just seemed to be over pretty quickly.

I never got to play on an actual SNES, only on an emulator, and I'm still playing.
I've got to say that my Top 3 are:
EarthBound
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
and
Super Metroid

I never got around to playing Chrono Trigger, I have it, but I haven't gotten into it that much. Honestly, in my top 3, I've only finished EarthBound.

When people make lists like these, I always find it weird when ports of arcade games get listed, since they're clearly inferior to the original. I guess before emulation it was the best you could do without blowing a roll of quarters, but I'll always think of MK and SF as arcade games.

I was a Genesis kid. Since finding SNES emulators I've found a bunch of good games, but a lot of the popular Nintendo franchises don't do anything for me. It's cool to see Super Mario World listed a few times, I feel that it gets overlooked in threads like this because it was a pack-in game that everyone had.

It's so hard to choose, but if I had to pick an SNES game that wasn't a port from another system, I'd honestly go for Batman Returns. Sure, it's on the hard side, but there you have pretty much the most inspired Final Fight clone on the platform, with the all important feature of being able to throw clowns into plate-glass windows, which is something I don't even think The Combatribes had.

Also, Goof Troop, which is the best Legend of Zelda co-op game never made.

plums said:

When people make lists like these, I always find it weird when ports of arcade games get listed, since they're clearly inferior to the original. I guess before emulation it was the best you could do without blowing a roll of quarters, but I'll always think of MK and SF as arcade games.

I was a Genesis kid. Since finding SNES emulators I've found a bunch of good games, but a lot of the popular Nintendo franchises don't do anything for me. It's cool to see Super Mario World listed a few times, I feel that it gets overlooked in threads like this because it was a pack-in game that everyone had.

Blowing a roll of quarters < $50 game. Some were superior on SNES, mostly due to difficulty levels.

geo said:

Some were superior on SNES, mostly due to difficulty levels.

I'm looking at Super Smash TV, now feasible without continues on Super NES. :D

WildWeasel said:

It's so hard to choose, but if I had to pick an SNES game that wasn't a port from another system, I'd honestly go for Batman Returns. Sure, it's on the hard side, but there you have pretty much the most inspired Final Fight clone on the platform, with the all important feature of being able to throw clowns into plate-glass windows, which is something I don't even think The Combatribes had

Man, forgot about Bat Returns, I mean, look at my avatar. I think I almost beat it, but got frustrated with a stage against the Penguin and just plum gave up because I was sick of not being able to beat it.

Jayextee said:

I'm looking at Super Smash TV, now feasible without continues on Super NES. :D

Smash TV was possible on SNES. Bat Returns was good but quick. I complete it not that long ago. They have good breaks to the action compared to the monotony and cheap deaths of Final Fight. I'm playing Final Fight currently on normal and well... fire. When the game can't beat you light the floor on fire.

I've never played on a corporeal SNES in my life. I was a Mega Drive/Genesis kid during that era.

Played Donkey Kong Country with an emulator, though. Good game.

Nothing beats dual joysticks for Smash TV and similar games though, even though the SNES pad is pretty suited to mimicking that setup.

Romancing Saga 3 has a good translation and is a great RPG, anyone play it? RS2 never got a proper translation AFAIK, which is sad because it's supposed to be the best of the series.

Star Fox
Super Mario Kart
Super Metroid
Axelay
R-Type III
Troddlers
Smash TV
Contra III (although Contra Hard Corps on the Mega Drive was better :P)

The giants: FF IV & VI (Chrono Trigger is too campy, search your feelings, you know it to be true)

F-Zero is probably the best game on the console; God it's so good.

Street Fighter II
Mega Man X (X2 & X3 are still good but not as good)
Secret of Mana
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Zelda before it got ridiculous)
Tetris/Dr. Mario - This is because it has a 2-player mode that's as fun sober as it drunk, which is saying something
Sim City

I also played a lot of Aladdin, Star Fox, and Incredible Crash Dummies. Plus all the TMNT games are pretty good.

Re: Chrono Trigger grinding; I actually have the opposite problem with the game. I got Luminaire right after Zeal doing no grinding (I have a no grinding policy; brains over brawn) and the game broke. It's no Orlandu, but it's basically just a drawn-out cutscene after that tech.

The ones that stood out the most at the time were Super Mario RPG, Sim City, Super Mario World, UN Squadron, Secret of Mana and Donkey Kong Country.

baronofheck82 said:

Probably Super Mario All-Stars or Super Metroid. Those games are masterpieces.

They fucked up the jump physics in Mario 1. Luckily some hacker corrected it for ROM form.

I played civilization a lot for SNES as well.

Super Castlevania IV was fun too. I like Simon's theme song.

EVO: The Search for Eden, is probably my favorite game on the SNES.

Clue was a really good game as well.

My favorite is definitely EarthBound, which is my all time third favorite game right behind Majora's Mask and Doom 2.

Every once in a while I still pick it up and play it just because the dialog and music makes me so gosh darn happy.

Shout out to Liam for selling me his copy. I still have your save file on it 8)

Ladna said:

I have a no grinding policy; brains over brawn.

uhm.... why don't you grind? Its usually a good idea...mainly for the Techs

if you ever, EVER, play CT:CE, That policy will be broken.

plus, no grinding makes the lavos vs crono solos harder.

i will admit to cheating a bit in CT. but it was ONLY when i needed them.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Don't. Just watch a LP. It's so badly balanced.

You never have to grind in CT.

im just saying its not a bad idea

trusr me i know ct:ce is badly balanced. im playing it now.q the plot however is good. but the balance...

Ragnor said:

Star Ocean, translated into english.

Ha. I just put translated versions Dragon Quest 1 & 2 on an empty cart and a translated version of Dragon Quest 3 on a cart. Let the good times roll. I have beaten both several times on the NES and GBC.

Fellowzdoomer said:

uhm.... why don't you grind? Its usually a good idea...mainly for the Techs

if you ever, EVER, play CT:CE, That policy will be broken.

plus, no grinding makes the lavos vs crono solos harder.

i will admit to cheating a bit in CT. but it was ONLY when i needed them.

Well, in general there's usually something you can do that doesn't involve grinding. Like I played through the Dancing Mad difficulty mod for FFVI which is insanely hard; I died probably 40 times on the opening walk through Narshe in the Magitek Armor. Eventually though you stop being a dumbass and you do stuff like beef your defense so you can survive, choose your weapons carefully, come up with combos, etc. It sounds tedious but it adds a huge amount of depth to the game. Like the Lavos/Crono solos are like, serious goddamn business if you don't grind, and you feel the terror that a normal human would feel when confronting Lavos. You really feel the struggle of the characters instead of just watching pretty animations.

Where no grinding really hurts is money though. There's a lot of times where items bail you out (Phoenix Down) where you just die otherwise. But again, does it make sense to have 50 of something that cheats death and just throw them around like nothing? No, no it doesn't.

EDIT:

Plus I should say CT is hilariously easy. I don't know about CT:CE because I never got into CT mods because I wasn't a big CT fan, but like if you have to grind to get past something in CT you are doing something really wrong.

I've been playing Knights of Pen and Paper for PC.... its nothing but a grind with weak combat. Worse yet, the game is pretty much a breeze except for certain bosses. There are no random battles, you literally pick your own battles and cheaply get experience and gold. Or you can just pay $5 in real money to get 10,000 game gold.

The three best have to be Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, and Earthbound. There's just no other way.