Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fellowzdoomer

Best SNES game you've played?

Finally! I post a poll! Have you ever had an snes?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Finally! I post a poll! Have you ever had an snes?

• Yeah, the ACTUAL.
    • It was an emulator.
    • No, my parents wouldn't give me entertainment.
    • Whats an SNES? -.-

In CE, the first boss is a GOLEM BOSS and Magus is at a shrimp LEVEL 5!!! In order to do it legit, you have to grind up to level 16 AND buy a butt load of shelters and mid tonics in the beginning. I cheated to kill to the very end, except on the boss, which was EASY AS BREATHING!! (Team Magus, Glenn and Lucca)

If and when I ever want to mod CT (sorry square.) I make it balanced.

Well I just started playing the Japanese Dragon Quest 1 (English translation) on a blank cartridge. I can see why it was never released in the USA. While its a double pack with Dragon Quest 2, the leap to SNES just doesn't seem like much of a leap. Graphically, its just less than most if not every other SNES game. While it is less of a grind, I'm just really noticing how lesser battles should have been taken out completely, but I guess that's what the Fairy Water is for. It just feels like a cheap port with a few tweaks, while the GBC version seems to be a higher quality since the GBC was so limited.

Mr. T said:

Contra 3

/E I find the lack of Contra 3 mentions in this thread disturbing

There have been quite a few actually. I just went through the game on normal for the first time in years. Its still fucking awesome. Whatever they paid for the music was well worth it. The music gets the blood pumping for all of the insanity you have to go through. The game is still a marvel of everything, graphics, fast paced action, gameplay, music, boss fights and constant diversity.

I also realize why I should never have 150 million lying around, because I'd make a movie based on Contra 3. It wouldn't have a plot or dialog of any kind, it would just be 90 minutes of crazy action that at the end of it I hope people would leave the theater asking what the fuck they just sat through? Critics will say wtf no dialog at all?

Think of it, destroyed Neo city, top down actors walking across one of the shittiest skyways, smog cities, fucking wall climbing kill machines, giant skeletons for no other reason than they're awesome, motorcycle gun battles only to have goddamn missile gun battles that land you in the desert against mutant insects until going into the alien hole hive.

The trailers would just be a 5 second black screen with the words Contra 3: The movie 'Fucking watch it!' Followed by a glimpse of 2 men against 2 giant skeletons hanging from the ceiling.

geo said:

There have been quite a few actually. I just went through the game on normal for the first time in years. Its still fucking awesome. Whatever they paid for the music was well worth it. The music gets the blood pumping for all of the insanity you have to go through. The game is still a marvel of everything, graphics, fast paced action, gameplay, music, boss fights and constant diversity.

I also realize why I should never have 150 million lying around, because I'd make a movie based on Contra 3. It wouldn't have a plot or dialog of any kind, it would just be 90 minutes of crazy action that at the end of it I hope people would leave the theater asking what the fuck they just sat through? Critics will say wtf no dialog at all?

Think of it, destroyed Neo city, top down actors walking across one of the shittiest skyways, smog cities, fucking wall climbing kill machines, giant skeletons for no other reason than they're awesome, motorcycle gun battles only to have goddamn missile gun battles that land you in the desert against mutant insects until going into the alien hole hive.

The trailers would just be a 5 second black screen with the words Contra 3: The movie 'Fucking watch it!' Followed by a glimpse of 2 men against 2 giant skeletons hanging from the ceiling.

Don't forget to use hard mode, so you'll get that epic escape from the brain at the end.

That's true. Tonight will be hard mode. I wasn't all that good on Normal. It seemed like the desert ate lives and continues.

Tried Contra 3 on hard. I can always get to the first boss without dying, but as soon as he comes out its death city. Bullets are a little too fast. Then on the next level, the guys in the manhole covers know how to hide and others pin you down with bullets. I figured eh fuck that.

It's been awhile, but I remember:

You should stay on the bottom floor for the stage 1 boss.

You have to trick the turret guys into shooting at you somehow (I don't recall exactly how, but there is a way, I think they hide if you "look" at them?)

The only part of the entire thing that I would consider "unfair" hard is the stage 5 boss, that was just a massive pain in the ass. If you have the Contra skills to make it past the stage 5 BOSS, stage 6 is not very difficult.

Your idea for the movie is awesome. I always thought stage 3 and 4 (especially the "missile ride") would be awesome in a film.

Mr. T said:

It's been awhile, but I remember:

You should stay on the bottom floor for the stage 1 boss.

You have to trick the turret guys into shooting at you somehow (I don't recall exactly how, but there is a way, I think they hide if you "look" at them?)

The only part of the entire thing that I would consider "unfair" hard is the stage 5 boss, that was just a massive pain in the ass. If you have the Contra skills to make it past the stage 5 BOSS, stage 6 is not very difficult.

Your idea for the movie is awesome. I always thought stage 3 and 4 (especially the "missile ride") would be awesome in a film.

Yep I always do hang out on the ground floor. Bullets are just too fast on hard and then eventually the fire and projectiles. Stage 5 boss that's the desert stage right? I just end up getting ontop of the thing and shooting it to death. When I played again for the first time in years I forgot that trick and just melted away lives.

geo said:

That's true. Tonight will be hard mode. I wasn't all that good on Normal. It seemed like the desert ate lives and continues.

Oh quite indeed! ;D Where Contra 3 is concerned that Desert stage will inevitably screw you over entirely unless you know what your doing, especially since the boss has an awkward attack pattern which is difficult to avoid. Also the previous stage on the Motorcycle is plain unfair, you have to have the right weapon at the right moment or it's curtains.

Vs1991 said:

Actraiser.

Yep a classic of mine as well :D I especially loved finding all the hidden powerups and the Professional mode unlock after you finish the game, go through all the platform stages with 1 life? Ouch

The sequel felt very disappointing on the other hand, sure they got rid of the overhead town gameplay and stuck with simply side scrolling but the level design just nose dived in comparison, it felt more tedious and frustrating.

I think the desert stage only got me a few nights ago because I was rusty. :-)

I dug up this site that offers practically every SNES, and NES game in a flash format. Now you don't have to download an emulator or roms. Which means you can play them at work.

Time for a few games of Clue. The SNES version is very nostalgic for me; I used to play it all of the time. It sort of reminds me of the first Resident Evil for playstation; the mansion setting, and the music, along with the morbid overtones.

http://snesbox.com/game/clue/rom/061fb90e60bc8ec8128ae4bb8f5884c8

I used to play Monopoly for SNES.

I'm playing thru msx metal gear 1 now. I wonder if there were plans for snes metal gear game, that would have been awesome, detailed pixel art, tense soundtrack etc.

Doominator2 said:

Super Metroid is my favorite of the metorid games right before Metroid prime 2.

Hell yes. We are kindred spirits. If I had to take only two games with me to a deserted island where I will live forever, it would be those two.

Waffenak said:

I'm playing thru msx metal gear 1 now. I wonder if there were plans for snes metal gear game, that would have been awesome, detailed pixel art, tense soundtrack etc.

I think if they did a Metal Gear with a 3/4ths top down Metal Gear game like the original Nintendo it could work. They could even make it like a modern military version of Link to the Past. They could even do some Mode 7 stealth corridor type of things. Mode 7 might be too limited to do it though.

I'm thinking of playing Link to the Past now that Zelda 3 part 2 was released for 3DS. I need to finish Dragon Quest 2 (SNES) though. I will once work stops kicking my ass. Well back to slave in the code mine.

I was just playing though Mega Man X2 tonight, I played Mega Man X yesterday night so it's likely I'll play Mega Man X3 tomorrow night. I love the X series to death.

Also I could pull a Jack Torrance out of how many times I'd like to list Contra III as my favorite game; probably the single game I've played most over the years due to how short it is. I've mastered the game on hard mode and actually played it not too long ago on livestream (along with the first two games).

Couple other great games I enjoy that have not been mentioned are Hagane and Run Saber. Hagane especially for the awesome acrobatic moves you can do and for being an SNES-like Ninja Gaiden (for me at least). Run Saber is a likeable clone of Strider with an awesome soundtrack.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of The Seven Stars
Super Mario All-Stars
Axelay
Cybernator
Star Fox
Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Buster Bros.
Street Fighter II Turbo
Killer Instinct
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Illusion of Gaia
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Super Castlevania IV
Gradius III
R-Type III: The Third Lightning
Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
Lufia II: Rise of The Sinstrals
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time
Sunset Riders

Terranigma is another fantastic game that was sadly missed out on here in the USA. The list goes on really.

Quasar said:

Hell yes. We are kindred spirits. If I had to take only two games with me to a deserted island where I will live forever, it would be those two.

Super Metroid Redesign > *

I could list loads, I'm sure we all could.
My top two, simply because they are the best of the best and just perfect games are:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid

Out of all the SNES games I have owned and all games since these two have never seen an equal. Amazing story telling and exploration. The sense of freedom the music and playability. Stunning games.

Other games I stick up there though:

Contra 3
Super Probotecter (Assault Suit Valken)
Super SWIV (Firepower 2000)
Alien 3
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Equinox
Unirally (Uniracers)
Batman Returns
Prince of Persia
Sim City
Donkey Kong Country (Only the first one)
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Krustys Super Fun House
Super Turrican
Stunt Race FX

I notice some people have mentioned Gradius III - now, I am a rather massive fan of the Gradius series and as a fan of the Gradius series I can't bring myself to include it on my list. It is a good game and it is easier than the arcade version, however the greatest of the Gradius series is Vulcan Venture (Gradius II). If Konami had converted that then my list would be significantly different.

On a bit of self promotion here, I did a blog for awhile about computer game music and one of the features I did was the Gradius series. If you want to have a look at my ageing and out of date blog then please do so: retrovgm.wordpress.com

Anyway...........

Dave out!

Ah the good old Super Nintendo. Maybe it's the rose colored glasses, but that system had quite a few fantastic games for it. The most amazing thing about it though, was that the original Super Nintendo my brother bought back in 1992 didn't die until about 2 years ago. And that was because the little plastic bit on the AC adapter connector broke off, so it would still work, you just had to put it together carefully and not walk around. But I had enough great games that I just bought another one off Amazon.

Far too many games to choose as favorites, but I'm going to go with Finanl Fantasy 3, Link to the Past, Final Fantasy 2, Chrono Trigger, E.V.O. The Search for Eden, Actraiser, Demon's Crest, Super Metroid, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, Super Mario World 2, Earthworm Jim.

But if I had to choose, I'd go with Final Fantasy 3. I can't recall how many hours my brother and I sunk into that game as a kid, but I still think it's the best Final Fantasy by far.

D.K.C.
S. Metroid
Illusion of Gaia
Link to the Past
Super Castlevania 4
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Street Fighter 2: Turbo

And my favorite game on SNES hands down is Killer Instinct.

I've been playing Dragon Quest 2 and grinding my way through the world leaf 'quest.' I've been stuck on this for weeks as I always am stuck on this quest even with the GBC version. I finally completed the quest, where the game dialog then glitched and I was stuck in a text loop. Hilarious. I wonder if its just the translated version or the actual Japanese version.

>> edit. I had to take the ROM off the cartridge put the Japanese version on and load it. Then it worked. Then put the English ROM on the cartridge.

Legend of Zelda
Super Castlevania IV
Street Fighter II
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario Paint
Contra 3
Top Gear
Lemmings
TMNT - Turtles in Time
Super Double Dragon