Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Russel Brand talks straight dope

Hellbent said:

Russel Brand on why he doesn't vote. I pretty much completely feel the same way.

Same here, though I don't usually explain my reasoning that well.

Russel Brand majorly creeps me out for some reason, but I can't deny how impressed I am with his ability to so quickly and intelligibly string together such flowery sentences.

yukib1t said:

Same here, though I don't usually explain my reasoning that well.

Why don't you vote for the tiny parties, then? They're not large enough to be corrupt yet.

I typically vote for the green party these days. Though I agree that political activism is probably more effective if one is so intensely dissatisfied with the present system.

I actually do vote, but I always feel smarmy and sheepish when I do.. like.. what the hell is this actually going to accomplish? Shouldn't I actually be out there doing something to bring about the real change I'd like to see, instead of playing along in this corrupt and broken system? I usually do vote for some under the radar progressive, but still....

No point in voting for a president when both parties are the same. I vote at the state level, because whoever becomes governor has a say in how the state is run (at least in Mass).

Mr. Freeze said:

No point in voting for a president when both parties are the same. I vote at the state level, because whoever becomes governor has a say in how the state is run (at least in Mass).

This is a great point, and I think it probably applies even more to Americans than Canadians, as our executive branch up here has way too much power. Not sure how things are divied up in the rest of the world.

So yeah, local rep always comes before party. for example, I was quite pleased when we got a new NDP rep for our area, because previously I would've never voted for them, because of how much of a cock their Johnny on the spot was. Although I'm not a fan of the party system in general.

darknation said:

russelbrand is a horrible, unfunny cunt.

being politically savant does not excuse this fact.

+1.

Average said:

+1.

+1

[edit]Also, it's "interesting" to hear a multi-millionaire talk about wealth disparity.[/edit]

Enjay said:

+1

[edit]Also, it's "interesting" to hear a multi-millionaire talk about wealth disparity.[/edit]

Indeed. And truth be told he never talks 'straight dope'. He just makes the most obvious points in the most flowery, verbose and pretentious way possible... In an annoying voice!

I really don't get why he has become successful. He had a number of false starts and failed shows earlier on in his career - and with good reason: he and they are/were shit. However, someone somewhere kept giving him second, third, forth... chances until he reached a some sort of celebrity critical mass where he had an unstoppable career. I really don't get it. He's awful and painfully, embarrassingly unfunny.

And he has an annoying voice.

It might be his silly accent and weird vocabulary, but I watched the whole thing and completely missed why he doesn't vote.

I understand voting feels kinda pointless, but what are you gaining by not voting? I've played deeply impossible Doom levels but I don't think there is anything lost in trying at them (except maybe a minute or two of my life that might have been spent on something else more important but most likely equally as pointless.) I just don't get the statement. Even with that perspective, voting or not voting does exactly the same thing -- nothing.

Enjay said:

+1

+1

Although to be honest I find Russell Howard much more irritating.

Maybe all us Russells of the world should meet on a mountain top and fight each other with swords 'highlander style'. There can be only one....Russell.

Mr. Freeze said:

No point in voting for a president when both parties are the same

Funny that, because I don't remember both parties saying a class of people weren't allowed full civil rights in the 2012 election.

Social issues matter just as much as fiscal issues. The "both sides are bad" mantra is BS from beginning to end.

Maybe if the people who think they know so much fucking more than everybody else voted, we wouldn't have shitbags in office in the first place. But no, let's all try to act edgy and cool and say we don't vote. Because, you know, if you stop voting, people stop being president, or whatever. People running for office lie because that's what they've been rewarded for doing (via votes!), and for some reason no attempt to elect an actual honest person has been made.

There are these things called primaries. If you don't like the fact that the candidates for both major parties are "corrupt", then actually participate in them. If you don't like who is in the main parties, vote for a third party. Even if they don't win, you're sending a message.

The system is not "inherently" corrupt because of money. Money doesn't force you to vote for people, and it doesn't matter if "The Media" is ignoring a candidate, because at the end of the day you're responsible for informing yourself and casting your ballot. If everybody who chose to stay home in the last election voted for Ron Paul, he would have won in a landslide that would have made 1936 and 1984 look like complete jokes.

Indeed, if everyone stopped voting then the system would carry on regardless but just get even more corrupt... afterall, the politicians would stop having to 'represent' the people in any capacity.

The problem with modern day politics is people like Russell Brand et al telling us all to opt out while they themselves build a carrer profile off the back of it all. C*nts.

Wagi said:

If everybody who chose to stay home in the last election voted for Ron Paul, he would have won in a landslide that would have made 1936 and 1984 look like complete jokes.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing that those people didn't vote.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't find him all that funny (just as bad as Jimmy Carr). My vote's on Russell Pearson for the fight if that should ever happen MK style.

My view is; if you don't vote, then you can't really complain when the government gets fucked up the arse seeing as you could have made a difference but chose not to, (1) but, I don't blame people for not voting really, seeing as every party here seems to be the same.
(1) just an example: If you got pissed off that the Sun loving Tories got in and you didn't vote, then you should have voted basically.

Springy said:

just as bad as Jimmy Carr

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't find him funny. The worst thing about Jimmy Carr for me is that, to me, he always looks like he should be funny. He appears and there is something about him that makes me think, "oh, this is going to be good". Then he starts speaking.

A lot of the time what he says just falls completely flat for me: just no funny-ness at all, like he was merely reading the assembly instructions for some Ikea furniture or something. Most of the time, however, it's worse. Like cringingly embarrassingly worse. Not because what he says is so "out there" or "close to the bone" but because I almost feel embarrassed for him: like watching someone who simply isn't that good at something making a fool of themselves without realising that's what they're doing. It's like he tries too hard or something. That kind of embarrassing.

As a result, I find him difficult to watch because I am constantly uncomfortable when doing so.

Enjay said:

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't find him funny. The worst thing about Jimmy Carr for me is that, to me, he always looks like he should be funny. He appears and there is something about him that makes me think, "oh, this is going to be good". Then he starts speaking.

A lot of the time what he says just falls completely flat for me: just no funny-ness at all, like he was merely reading the assembly instructions for some Ikea furniture or something. Most of the time, however, it's worse. Like cringingly embarrassingly worse. Not because what he says is so "out there" or "close to the bone" but because I almost feel embarrassed for him: like watching someone who simply isn't that good at something making a fool of themselves without realising that's what they're doing. It's like he tries too hard or something. That kind of embarrassing.

As a result, I find him difficult to watch because I am constantly uncomfortable when doing so.

I know this is very off topic, but I am really glad I am not the only one who thinks this. Very spot on description of him (particularly the Ikea part, heh, he is pretty much like that) and also you forgot to mention how he laughs at his own jokes (not to mention how annoying said laugh is).

From what I've seen, the only thing Jimmy Carr has going for himself is that "heckle me, please" gimmick. That would be interesting if all his replies weren't following the tired old schematic "Oh yeah? Well, I fucked your mom." How the hell is that considered a good comeback? He's a pathetically weak standup.