Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CarpetolA

Stair building problem (vanilla Doom)

Hey guys!

I'm having a problem with a rising staircase consisting of three steps. When I try to activate the stairs, they only go up one step. I got the stairs to work at first, but when I added a few more sectors in my map, they stopped working properly. I have never implemented a rising staircase in vanilla Doom before, but I'm not unfamiliar with it, so I just need some clarification. Do the sector numbers have to be in sequential order for the stairs to work? Other tips are welcome as well. Thanks in advance! =)

EDIT: Problem solved!

Make sure all the linedefs on the stair sector are facing the direction in which they raise. They will stop when a line is facing the opposite direction. Flip linedefs with 'F' key.

Rayzik said:

Make sure all the linedefs on the stair sector are facing the direction in which they raise. They will stop when a line is facing the opposite direction. Flip linedefs with 'F' key.

I'm trying every combination I can think of, yet they still won't work. One step raises, two steps raise apart from each other, all steps raise but in reverse... Maybe it all comes down to the sector numbers, they are not in numerical order? =/

CarpetolA said:

I'm trying every combination I can think of, yet they still won't work. One step raises, two steps raise apart from each other, all steps raise but in reverse... Maybe it all comes down to the sector numbers, they are not in numerical order? =/

Numerical order is a senseless bullshit regarding this. The trick is that you should tag only the very-first "step" sector of the staircase. And it won't work unless all the steps are of the same floor texture.

Cell said:

Numerical order is a senseless bullshit regarding this. The trick is that you should tag only the very-first "step" sector of the staircase. And it won't work unless all the steps are of the same floor texture.

This worked! Funny how I can write scripts for ZDoom-WADs, yet I can't make a functional staircase! Yes, the idea that the sector numbers being out of order had anything to do with this was whimsical, but what do you do when you're desperate? xD

Thanks a lot, Cell! =)

Cell said:

I always set tag 999 on the last step (as in phobos anomaly), it seems I keep doing it in vain, unless it has another purpose like marking off the last step regardless next floor has the same texture, I'll test that.
EDIT: I tested it, phobos anomaly has tag 99 in some steps, and it does nothing :p

Tag 999 is there because DoomEd didn't work with sectors directly like all PC Doom editors do - it stored sector information for each individual line, and DoomBSP created sectors from lines with identical properties surrounding a space. Tag 999 was a dummy put in place to give the step sectors different information, stopping them from being merged, and is pointless when using anything other than DoomBSP/idBSP.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Tag 999 is there because DoomEd didn't work with sectors directly like all PC Doom editors do - it stored sector information for each individual line, and DoomBSP created sectors from lines with identical properties surrounding a space. Tag 999 was a dummy put in place to give the step sectors different information, stopping them from being merged, and is pointless when using anything other than DoomBSP/idBSP.

Thanks, I didn't know that, it's funny because all my released maps have stairs with tag 999, I learned basic mapping by dissecting the iwads maps back in 2002 and I actually used to map with DoomEd XD.

That was a different DoomEd. I think that may have been the first editor I tried too.

id's official editor has never been released; they released the sources for most of their utilities, but DoomEd wasn't one of them. Romero brought up the possibility of releasing it ages ago, but nothing ever came of it.

Dragonsbrethren said:

That was a different DoomEd. I think that may have been the first editor I tried too.

id's official editor has never been released; they released the sources for most of their utilities, but DoomEd wasn't one of them. Romero brought up the possibility of releasing it ages ago, but nothing ever came of it.

Yeah, I started with an editor called Doomed42, I used to make many backups for my maps because you make the wrong movement and your map gets destroyed forever with that shit, it has many limitations concerning the size of your maps too!

Dragonsbrethren said:

Yeah, I started with an editor called Doomed42, I used to make many backups for my maps because you make the wrong movement and your map gets destroyed forever with that shit!