Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

garbage

Yeah, trying to emulate the old style is a hopeless affair it seems: impossible to not go into overdetail, modern cliches and all that. Maybe in the 90s people had different brains because they drank Pepsi Cola more than we do.

I don't have much experience with primitive editors, but if you really wanted to could you use something via DOSbox to run less flexible tools? The difficulty working with them might rein in less "important" mapping processes.

i can't believe i'm seriously suggesting this

I doubt that would change my thought process while mapping, most likely I'll be doing the same things I normally do, just slower. But who knows. I don't think I'll ever try it though, sounds annoying.

That won't work. Using an inferior tool isn't going to make you forget basic concepts like how unpegging works (and which lines need to be unpegged) or remove all sense of aesthetics.

Probably the closest you can get to making 94 wads is to go map for a game you've never mapped for before, without reading much/any documentation. Even then, we're probably all too "good" with aesthetics to make something on par with some of the 94 wads I've played.

Well in any case, map01 was p cool. Only problem I had was not realizing I could get to where the yellow key was, I suppose I could blame that on not having to do it very often. The spiral teleport thing is awesome. Whole map feels very memento mori (and not just because of the textures heh)

Will play map02 a little later.

Memfis said:

Maybe in the 90s people had different brains because they drank Pepsi Cola more than we do.

Certainly they did! And it was different ))

But you certainly had failed the mimicry of 90s style. After very first look in XWE to layout preview I already can say it, because there too many curved lines with high density. And visually these maps looks more like valkiriforce's maps, DCV especially - which style I consider as modern tasteless mishmash; but in your case it is not very serious approach and so it is more righteous. Moreover, these maps are funny to play and even funny to look for me. Should be released, I think.

Here two fast-fda from me, first in 27 min overall with 3-4 deaths and second was too difficult for me - 53 min with LOTS of deaths.

http://yadi.sk/d/8fv_vORICGPYc

Hitherto said:

And visually these maps looks more like valkiriforce's maps, DCV especially - which style I consider as modern tasteless mishmash; but in your case it is not very serious approach and so it is more righteous.

what does this even mean

Memfis said:

This was like an attempt to make ugly 90s maps.

The description alone gave me a boner.

Cool maps, especially map02. I think they could have been much much uglier, since you were trying to make them ugly, but I definitely got a fun/weird 90's vibe from them.

this is pretty cool to be generic 90s garbage, IMHO.

Remind me of something from The Innocent Crew (authors of obticuary and slaughter util death...)

Just played these today, pretty fun actually. There's some obviously bad design going on but a lot of good stuff too. Visually the first map has a lot of cheesy-fun moments, and the second map has a lot of good gameplay. I even liked the platforming/multi-switch stuff :P

Guest Unregistered account
Memfis said:

This was like an attempt to make ugly 90s maps.

Well, since I wasn't born in the 90's (I'm 12) I don't know how well it ties with '94 maps, but there are too many new features i.e. textures (well, I say new but most of them are from Memento Mori, with the exception of Hexen's spiral portal texture) and music. I mean, I could probably make a more "94-esque" map, and that's not just because I'm a crappy mapper - I make decent maps (well, decent for my age :) ) - I just think you should study real 1994 maps if you really wanna make "garbage".

Finally got around to map02, heh

Pretty cool, kinda adventurish and puzzle oriented. The starting section was kinda funny in a way, not something you see a lot of these days. The red key was expected, but the teleporting was not. Good thing I made a beeline for the nearest staircase out of reflex or I'd be pulp.

This is the kinda thing I'd like to see an episode of really, it is very Memento Mori in a lot of ways, although not as pretty(which isn't a problem either because it still looks classic)

Are there enough miscellaneous Memfis maps to constitute a megawad yet?