Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Doomworld slowing Firefox

For the last few days (since I shut off and rebooted my modem to repair the connection after it got hot), every time I've tried to browse the Doomworld forums, my Firefox has slowed to an absolute crawl, which seems to be a permanent effect until I restart the program. From the point that I load seemingly any page on the forums in my browser, it then takes between 5 and 10 minutes to connect to every webpage, and all the open Doomworld tabs remain with the green spinning "loading" icon, as though something is still trying to load on the page(s) even after the threads have completely loaded.

I did have an unread PM in my inbox for about a week, which is around about the same time these problems started, but after having read said PM, they persist, so it's not related to that.

Chrome works fine, however, and Safari also works fine from my iPad. It's just Firefox that becomes unusable whenever I load a DWF page. What's going on?

Happened to me too on my PC. At some point Firefox was taking up like 1.5 GB of ram and only Doomworld was open. A lot of times on my PC when I go to Doomworld its fine. Click on forums.... freezes and locks until I shutdown firefox.

Mine only started going slow when I read this thread about Firefox going slow. I'm blaming you somehow.

Don't know if a problem I had a few days ago is in any way related. YouTube videos embedded in javascript-heavy web pages would send my browser (SeaMonkey) crazy, opening multiple connections to cache videos (probably in all available resolutions) and continue doing so even after I close the offending pages. After downloading a few gigs of unwatched video I opened my firewall's Rules & Zones window and set about blocking Google's cache servers. I also updated the Flash player and don't seem to be having any trouble watching videos on demand. Problem solved - I hope.

What?! Are you implying that Firefox suffers from memory leaks and inefficiencies that prevent it from rendering a simple vBulleting layout without hogging?! How preposterous! This has NEVER happened before! Obviously your computer must suck and be like 10 years old.

Jokes apart, it's sad to see how Firefox didn't ever really get rid of the hogging/memory leaking problems, which were so bad that third party memory management extensions were made for it. Not even after they inflated the versioning scheme and got from version 3 to 20 in less than two years.

Just put NoScript in it and do not allow JS for Doomworld. All you'll miss is the music in Post Hell. Embedded videos can still be watched by clicking on them first.

I have Firefox 3.0 in one of my laptops (with Windows 98) and I never encountered this problem.

Gez said:

All you'll miss is the music in Post Hell.

By the way, how do I disable the "flames" in Post Hell?

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Windows XP, not 98.

Gez said:

Just put NoScript in it and do not allow JS for Doomworld. All you'll miss is the music in Post Hell. Embedded videos can still be watched by clicking on them first.

The music really makes post hell for me complete. I would miss it. I also miss. Captain Jean Luke Picard of the USS Enterprise. Captain Jean Luke Picard of the USS Enterprise. Captain Jean Luke Picard of the USS Enterprise. Captain Jean Luke Picard of the USS Enterprise.

Clonehunter said:

You're is obviously deficient.

Obviously the Elders of the Internets are still divided over the proper use of "your" and "you're". As with other great mysteries, we'll probably never know the truth.

Examples:

You're sight sux
Your an asshole

Actually it'd be "Yours" in that case, not "Your".

"Where is my car?"
"Your is over there."
"No I'm right here."

"Where is my car?"
"Yours is over there."
"DUUUDE!"

Avoozl said:

Could the ads be slowing it down?

Absolutely. Ad infestation can seriously harm internet speed.

Mine grinds to a halt when I try to look at threads with lots of embedded videos, but that's probably just because I like older versions of Firefox. Everything else seems fine to me.

I've noticed that stats.big-boards.com never resolves anymore, but other than that, Firefox hasn't been acting unusual here.

Such threads are invalidated by people not specifying their exact OS, platform, browser version, add-ons, plugins, etc. so they just become a cluserfuck of speculation and "maybes".

But aside from that, which version of Firefox in the last...hmm....4 years was worth a damn?