Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released! Bugfix update Nov 16

Piper Maru said:

So what's next guys? Final Doom The Way id might have done?

Wow patiently watched being done, while seated, The Way Ice59 Did?

The projects following D2TWID that we will be working on are: Ultimate Doom the Way Id Did, Evilution the Way Team TNT Did, Plutonia the Way the Casalis Did, and Doom 64 The Way Id Would

Something is in the works. Hopefully it won't take near as long as this did.

In the meantime, make sure to download the wad again for minor(but critical) tweaks. There won't be many more, really!

EDIT: oh

We have also partnered with Tormentor667 to make Knee Deep in Doom the way id Did and The Shores of Doom 2 the way id did.

Haven't played it yet, but I reckon it won't be long before I do (I sort of expect it to be a popular DWMC selection). Regardless of the degree to which I end up enjoying the maps for their own sake, it'll be genuinely interesting to see how this one takes shape. In the original DTWiD, the part I liked best was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the second episode--also the one that seemed the least histrionically 'id-like' where small technical details are concerned, incidentally. By contrast, the episode that I liked the least was E1, and it was easily the one that seemed most 'id-like' (or 'Romero-with-a-token-nod-to-Hall-like', if you will), something of a case of 'sound the notes but lose the music', I thought. Perhaps it's because the KDiTD style is just so damned specific that it's much harder to elicit surprise from the player when one aims to adhere as closely as possible to that prefab blueprint.

On that note, DooM II as a mapset in comparison to DooM as a mapset always seemed a lot more freeform to me (perhaps to the point of slight distraction in a couple of cases), and not just in the case of the Petersen maps where that's sort of par for the course; so it follows that there ought to be a lot more 'wiggle room' for you guys to work with this time (perhaps a little less so in the case of the McGee pieces), both aesthetically and conceptually. Naturally, being able to play with the DooM II bestiary should aid in that regard, too.

I hated MAP08 and I really hate MAP09. This is perfect!

(I'm not sure what's up with MAP08. Looks like Sandy took Deimos Lab and just designed a whole new map inside of it. Too much of a Doom 1 scrap to be original, too much Doom 2 to be a retexture/thing placement job like Refueling Base.)

Edit: Saying I hate MAP08 (either this one or the original) is probably a bit harsh. Parts of it definitely worked for me, but I don't think I'd enjoy it from a pistol start, and parts of it just felt really out of place (the aforementioned Deimos Lab "leftovers" particularly).

I know it's terrible form to be posting up so many hotfixes, but long story short, there was a rather grievous error that caused an accidental oopsie in MAP31 that unfortunately did not fall into the Leave It In spectrum. Welpicals.

At any rate, have a new wad at a slightly-more-permanent link:

http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/D2TWID.zip

This has the aforementioned LANGUAGE fix as well, so ZDaemon is all hunky-dory... is that the proper spelling? Why am I concerning myself with this? Am I insane? Why am I even asking? Of course I am.

I personally think the Doom 1-ish stuff was laid on a little heavy in some spots, but regardless it's a cool map.

Xaser said:

Welp. If by "Fixed" you mean you renamed it back to LANGUAGE, this will actually break ZDaemon. That lump shouldn't be there -- I meant to delete it after testing, but long story short, ZDaemon crashes upon encountering a LANGUAGE lump because it doesn't understand the format or somesuch. Luckily, the wad doesn't actually need it, given that the DEHACKED takes care of things.

That is strange, I've never encountered issues with the LANGUAGE lump in ZDaemon and when I change ZANGUAGE back to LANGUAGE, it works just fine. Does a specific action trigger the crash?

Anyway, if the following lines can pull the DEHACKED modified strings and are guaranteed to work without the LANGUAGE lump, this whole thing is a non-issue.

MAP## lookup "HUSTR_#"

[nitpick]All automap names are in the "Level #: NAME" format, map33 is missing the level number prefix in MAPINFO and ZMAPINFO.[/nitpick] You can bundle this with a thing that actually needs fixing should one appear ...

I think this wad should be re-named "Doom II the way Id should have done it". Everything from the monster introductions to the weapon placement is better than anything that the original did. This wad surpasses DTWID in my opinion.

Without going into every level, I'll also thrown in my thumbs up for Map 8, I like the numerous visual themes contained within. Map 9's traps often got rather frustrating but it was a clever level nonetheless. Map 6 is absolutely breathtaking and Map 7 is pure genius. Finally, map 5 has a nice creepy atmosphere to it, especially the revenant introduction.

Is the download link on the first page the most recent with all the bugfixes? I want to put a copy on my server and link it from the project's homepage.

nicolas monti said:

I can't get out of the red skullkey room at map 30, map08 is awesome btw.

That's because it applies a butchered version of my "Sandy doors" fix. Thanks for pointing it out, Alfonzo will be flagellating himself soon.

I've just played the first seven maps but so far I can definitely go along with pizzabob's idea that this is Doom II the way id should have done it. I've never liked many of Doom II's maps, am very bored of its textures and tend to prefer more modern-style maps and yet this WAD feels fresh in a lot of ways. While it will never be as iconic as Doom II (because, well, only Doom II is) it's full of non-stop action and is feels very crisp and finely balanced.

Thanks and well done everyone!

Wahooo! It's released! It's been a huge pleasure helping you guys test the WAD. Now I'll download it and enjoy another runthrough. I will be eagerly awaiting a secrets list too!

As for some commentary: having played this WAD for a while already, I have the impression that it is better than Doom 2 while remaining almost exactly like Doom 2 - a sentiment I share concerning DTWiD too. Personally, I think Doom 2 plays better than Doom, but Doom is much better to do your sightseeing in. The texture schemes of the Mars moon bases and of Hell were much more vivid and compelling, not to mention colorful and vibrant than the bleak grays and tans of "Hell on Earth". I'm a huge fan of hellish level aesthetics as found in Doom's E3 and E4, and Doom 2 really fails to well, provide the Hell. Even the latest levels are barely hellish in appearance compared to what was served to us in Doom. I guess it's for a reason, though. And the 3 levels before the final map certainly do bring in the Hell, but with a more surreal, grotesque and mysterious vibe than the all-out inferno of uhh.. Inferno.

These characteristics are shared between Doom 2 and obviously the very faithful D2TWiD. Most maps of D2TWiD are superior or at the very least on par with their D2 equivalents. From Doom 2 I can only think of Level 28: The Spirit World as a map that is more iconic, memorable and better (also harder) than its D2TWiD equivalent. Ironically, it was the only Doom 2 map which was explicitly hellish, and the first official map to bring in the mapping convention of "underground hell". D2TWiD lacks a map that could be considered a direct equivalent to it, but there's enough hellish stuff to go around and sate your appetite for infernal darkness anyway. Many levels have the potential to become as cult as the 1994 offerings. Trust me.

Sooo, I suppose now it's on to Thy Flesh Consumed, right? I already have a couple of suggestions and questions but don't wanna prematurely start a thread on that. Could some of the project leads advise what to do? Thanks.

Tarnsman said:

The projects following D2TWID that we will be working on are: Ultimate Doom the Way Id Did, Evilution the Way Team TNT Did, Plutonia the Way the Casalis Did, and Doom 64 The Way Id Would

Seriously... why not stop at Ultimate Doom? Final Doom's not even CANON. Plus we've already got Plutonia 2, Plutonia Revisited and are about to receive Devilution. While TNT was pretty good, I see no reason anyone would want to see more of that ugly, ugly clusterfuck that Plutonia was. Plutonia's horrible to look at and there are lots upon lots of megawads that are better to play. Unless what you posted was tongue-in-cheek of course!

Anyway, I'm ALL for Thy Flesh Consumed, as I posted above.

Obviously, what's needed now is HTWRD, HTWRD, and STWRD. Oh, and naturally, CQTWDCD.

1. Because there is a lot of interest in "team twid" to do Final Doom the Way Id Did.

2. Because TNT and Plutonia offer vastly different styles to examine the "The way X did" ideology such as TNT's community project aspect (we will be having people make maps in their own style but as if they made them in 1996 for it - Steve D has already agreed to this) or Plutonia blatantly just "remaking" other IWAD levels or styles for 90% of its content (for PTWTC did we will be "remaking" DTWID and D2TWID levels instead).

3. Because Jimmy already made a map for Evilution the Way Team TNT did and it's awesome.

4. Because we feel like it.

5. Because Plutonia is objectively the best IWAD and if you dislike it you are wrong and should feel bad about yourself and go check out the book "being wrong and how to cope with having a terrible opinion". :P

Edit: Don't joke about chex quest, we'd do it!

Xfing said:

Final Doom's not even CANON.

Please tell me more about Doom's rich, intricate story and which megawads actually happened in it

Anyone who wants to ever put a jumping puzzle in a Doom map ever again should be forced to play map 19 of this.

They will quickly change their mind about whether that is a good idea.

Tarnsman said:

5. Because Plutonia is objectively the best IWAD and if you dislike it you are wrong and should feel bad about yourself and go check out the book "being wrong and how to cope with having a terrible opinion". :P

Edit: Don't joke about chex quest, we'd do it! [/B]

How in the world is Plutonia the best IWAD? It's by far the most soulless of them all. The maps don't even try to resemble anything... it's basically a 30-map collection of challenge levels. Oh, and did I mention it was ugly and had a terrible texturing policy?

But yeah, if there's demand there will also be supply. I getcha.