• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released! Bugfix update Nov 16

Grammar The Way The Last Few Posts Should Have Done

Dangerous Dave In Copyright Infringement The Way Nintendo Should Have Done

ShadesMaster said:

DKtwRsD - Daikatana the way Romero should've Did!!!!

You say this in jest, yet you have no idea how serious that idea actually is. O:

Xaser said:

You say this in jest, yet you have no idea how serious that idea actually is. O:

I actually liked Katana. E2-4 were pretty neat. The action was pretty decent! The cut scenes and story were above average for the day.

It got more crap than it deserved. But yeah, 1.0. was a buggy mess of a game...

EvilNed said:

I actually liked Katana. E2-4 were pretty neat. The action was pretty decent! The cut scenes and story were above average for the day.

!!!

For years, I thought I was the only one!

Marcaek said:

And then there were two.

:V

Three. Daikatana stats are cumulative through all game but since even full tier 5 is useless on Mishima better option is to spend some points on stats like Power or Speed. Sidekicks are fixed in patched version but issuing commands to them is still needed in some situations, that what they are for btw. Other most prominent thing is complete 3D immortal Dopefish in E3. Actual area is smaller than bonus level in this megawad but it's also the well.

So, back on topic of Doom II in Tweed: MAP08 is named "starstruct, inc" in Eternity's MAPINFO, but "quarantine" everywhere else. (This might have been fixed since, since I have a semi-old version with a "ZANGUAGE" lump, but I don't remember this being brought up in this thread, so here goes.)

Been having a blast playing through this today, I am up to MAP16 and have managed 100% K, I and S so far.
Here are some things I have noticed, some may not be a problem:

The dehacked lump in the wad is different to the external one.

MAP08 Things 377, 379 (DM Starts) on top of monsters.
Lines 885 and 908 have actions and tags but no sector.

MAP09 There's a BFG in a secret area but it's not marked secret.

MAP11 The pulsing light at the soul sphere secret causes the mid texture to flicker.

MAP13 has a dead lost soul with no skill flags (maybe slige joke).

MAP15 The BFG secret is empty (multiplayer only).

MAP32 Lines 451 and 475 are marked hidden.

MAP31 crashes when played with vanilla doom (Z_CT) i.e. doomdh -file d2twid.wad -warp 31 -skill 4, if I start with -nomonsters it works but there is no music playing, also if I start with -nomusic it works (testing with DOSBOX 7.4, DEHACKED 3.1 and Doom2 v1.9).

Minor bug:

The par times in the (Z)MAPINFO lumps don't agree with those in the DEHACKED lump or the ReadMe file.

marineController said:

MAP31 crashes when played with vanilla doom (Z_CT) i.e. doomdh -file d2twid.wad -warp 31 -skill 4, if I start with -nomonsters it works but there is no music playing, also if I start with -nomusic it works (testing with DOSBOX 7.4, DEHACKED 3.1 and Doom2 v1.9).

This is unfortunately a DOSBOX-environment-specific error, as far as we can tell. Marcaek ran into the issue during development but I can't produce it, even so far that sending him the exact same DOOMHACK.exe I use still produces a crash on his end. The Z_CT error is a heap corruption error (says doomwiki), so it could plausibly have something to do with memory allocation in DOSBOX being wonky and/or not enough, but at this point I'm completely guessing since that's entirely out of my realm of knowledge. Any engine programmer folk who know more about what would cause such a thing?

I may have to muck about with different versions of DOSBOX to see if I can identify when it works and others it doesn't. This is the first I've heard of someone else experiencing this, so thanks for the report there.

As a heads-up, though, I did recall running into troubles with DEHACKED v3.1 incorrectly patching the Doom2 v1.9 executable provided by LaDoPaTo; it appears to expect the Ultimate Doom v1.9 EXE instead; to reconfirm that EXE corruption isn't the thing, if you load up DEHACKED.EXE without any patch modifications, does the program report any errors or similar things?

Maybe something is up with that Midi music or emulation of it.

I extracted D_EVIL from D2TWID and whenever I add that lump as a stand alone file or within a PWAD (consisting of only that lump) and run unpatched doom with i.e.:
doom2 -file d_evil.mid
or
doom2 -file music.wad -warp 31
It crashes with a W_NumLumps error. If I launch and IDCLEV I get Z_CT.

Also if I launch with a replacement music lump (with original D_EVIL from Doom2 IWAD) it works OK i.e.:
doom2 -file d2twid.wad d_evil.lmp -warp 31

Tarnsman said:

I'm pretty sure only 5 maps from that are in the final product.

On that note, I hope that the Lost Episodes equivalent of D2TWID eventually crawls into the light as well.

Spoiler

The Dopefish seems a little light on health/overall underwhelming, considering it's the whole level. Also I managed to get it to stand right next to me, not move, and SSG it to death harmlessly (in ZDoom). Level might be improved with additional Dopefish on higher difficulties (1 on easy, 2 on medium, maybe 3 on hard) & ammo to accomodate (and verifying the Dopefish is always mobile). That said, Keen idea in secret levels is FTW! :)

There's a lot more bugs than in Doom II. I've found red-locked doors that a yellow key opened, the world's most completely useless secret ever, mancubuses teleporting into walls, and objects floating in the void.

Also, duplicated word in the DEHACKED text: "A KEEN SENSE OF OF DEJA VU"

kmxexii said:

On that note, I hope that the Lost Episodes equivalent of D2TWID eventually crawls into the light as well.

+1

Gez said:

Also, duplicated word in the DEHACKED text: "A KEEN SENSE OF OF DEJA VU"

I think that might be intentional ... if not, it's a nice coincidence:)

Da Werecat said:

Is there any way to leave this room (MAP30)?

I think this was discussed earlier and is planned to be fixed.

There was and then Alfonzo went and fucked it up.

Gez said:

There's a lot more bugs than in Doom II. I've found red-locked doors that a yellow key opened, the world's most completely useless secret ever, mancubuses teleporting into walls, and objects floating in the void.

All of these exist and more in stock Doom 2 and in some cases are arguably worse. Wrong key color? The Factory has a YK door that is RK locked on the inside meaning once you enter the YK room you cannot leave as there is no RK in the level. Useless secrets? Well lets see beyond Bloodfalls' secret with nothing in it, there are the multiple levels where 100% secrets is impossible because you can not even GET some secrets because they're either past a teleport line or under a torch or just have no way to be actually accessed. Stuck monsters? In most stock maps. Objects in the void? All over the place.

Tarnsman said:

Wrong key color? The Factory has a YK door that is RK locked on the inside meaning once you enter the YK room you cannot leave as there is no RK in the level.

There used to be a red key right in the room. They removed during one update, presumably because they thought there was no reason to get out since it's the room with the exit.

Now compare with The Gambit, which has two keys with red locks. One of the red doors is bordered by DOORRED textures, and behind it you find a (completely useless) yellow key. The other red door is bordered by DOORYEL textures and of course you don't need the yellow key to open it.

Tarnsman said:

Useless secrets? Well lets see beyond Bloodfalls' secret with nothing in it

Same deal with MAP15, where one secret holds a BFG 9000 -- that only exists in multiplayer.

Said MAP15 is also where one of the teleport destinations (thing 299) is too close to the wall, so the fatsos got stuck there after teleporting.

Gez said:

Now compare with The Gambit, which has two keys with red locks. One of the red doors is bordered by DOORRED textures, and behind it you find a (completely useless) yellow key. The other red door is bordered by DOORYEL textures and of course you don't need the yellow key to open it.

Regardless of the accuracy of this post, I'm pretty sure this one is getting fixed because it's a pretty massive fuckup.

Gez said:

That was supposed to be fixed before final beta, yell at Alfonzo since he was doing all the "final fixes" and changing key doors to conform to Dew's OCD. (See Map 30's RK door being horribly broken). Also upon review of the Gambit, in an early test version Sandy Petersen had made the YK room optional and both doors red locked but forgot to change it when he changed the color markers.

Aye, trapdoors in map30 are a product of my completely pointless pedantism re: Petersenian doors + Alfonzo fixing them that way in a hurry.

I'd say the map15 bug with stuck mancos should get fixed as well, because (while I didn't encounter it) it's a fairly glaring and pointless one. I mean, the same can happen to mancos in map10 when you run past them in the weirdo western BA room, but there you're doing something "you're not supposed to" - not fighting them, so it's more of a cute leave-it-in.