Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released! Bugfix update Nov 16

Those mancs were originally revenants but got changed to mancs during the "we have too many revenants and not enough maps with 0 revenants" phase so you wouldn't have encountered them during your testing.

I'll actually say that makes perfect sense as a Doom 2-style bug (last minute untested changes screwing something up), but it's critical enough to deserve a fix.

Loving these levels. I too get the Mancs-stuck-in-the-walls in level 15, some of them end up floating in mid-air, to boot!

Level 31 is the best thing ever, but I did find a bug, namely that you can fall behind these pillars and not get out: screenshot

I encountered that "pit" as well, but I managed to glide out, so it wasn't a showstopper for me and I forgot to mention it. The pillars should be lifts you can activate from the inner side, I think.

This was pretty rad. Loved the Keen maps. Loved the rest of the main WAD. Even liked the IOS map; never done it that way before.

Just finished the rest of my playthrough. Great job, a lot of fun.
Here are some more things I noticed that may or may not be problems:

MAP16 - Has 2 computer area maps (so no 100% items).

MAP23 - Megasphere not a secret.

MAP27 - Sector 125, D1 on one side, DR on other.

MAP28 - Sectors 68 and 217, D1 on one side, DR on other.
I accidentally triggered one of the DRs on the way out and then couldn't get back in.

MAP29 - Sector 180 has missing lower textures.

MAP33 - Lines 1058 and 2584 look a bit glitchy.
Sectors 231 and 229 don't drop.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks! Just posted up a new version with a whole bunch of fixes:

• MAP30 one-way doors doors are fixed
  • Mancubus-in-wall teleport in MAP15 moved
  • Typo in MAP29 map name in vanilla .deh fixed (the coil in question is no longer "moral". :P )
  • Fixed MAP31 music crashing DOS-vanilla (thanks marineController! That was indeed the problem)
  • Fixed MAP27/MAP28 door issues posted by marineController above; the rest is subject to the fabled "leave it in". :P
The link's the same as in the OP, but here it is again for redundancy and other such things:

http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/D2TWID.zip

If nothing else critical/gameplay breaking (doors D:) is found soonish, I'll probably idgamesify this version.

Where the heck do I go after the yellow key area on MAP19? I swear I've looked through every part of the map the red key could be, and the only area left is behind the red key door.

Edit: Never mind, found it.

Xaser said:

If nothing else critical/gameplay breaking (doors D:) is found soonish, I'll probably idgamesify this version.

Not gamebreaking, but somebody ought to update the emapinfo lump.
Problem #1:

[MAP08]
        levelname = level 8: starstruct, inc.
        creator = Purist & Tarnsman as Sandy Petersen
Level name is actually "Quarantine".

Problem #2:
[MAP11]
        levelname = level 11: the garrison
        creator = Pavera as Sandy Petersen
See edit comment here.

Gez said:

Level name is actually "Quarantine".

The name discrepancy is actually intentionally left in (and is that way on all ports) -- it's our "Circle of Death", basically: "Quarantine" on the intermission screen (proper title), and "Starstruct, Inc." on the automap (goofy reference title). :P

Fixed the MAP11 credits, at any rate. Thanks for the point-out.

The internal DEHACKED lump has it has Quarantine too, and MAPINFO/ZMAPINFO reference the DEH strings, so it showed up as "Quarantine" on the automap in ZDoom for me. Among ports that load the embedded lump, the discrepancy only affects Eternity.

Ah, okay -- in that case, the actual error is the other way around. "Fixed" for real now, at any rate. :P

Yeah, I was going to add that too - in the version I downloaded the discrepancy was actually removed while it had been present in the beta. Both the starting screen and the automap said "Quarantine" in ZDoom. So you put the discrepancy back in now?

Haven't tried deh -files before. How do I use one in the doom2.exe -file d2twid.wad?

Just thought I would mention this, but the MAPINFO has several bugs in Odamex. I imagine nobody tested for ZDoom 1.22 compatibility heh

Vulture said:

Just thought I would mention this, but the MAPINFO has several bugs in Odamex. I imagine nobody tested for ZDoom 1.22 compatibility heh

Being a bit more specific would be much more hepleful ... what are those? ZDaemon is basically the same in this regard and it can eat the MAPINFO just alright.

Here is is the log output:

]wad d2twid.wad

=================================
DOOM 2: Hell on Earth

adding odamex.wad
(220 lumps)
adding C:\Users\Vulture\Games\Doom95\DOOM2.WAD
(2919 lumps)
adding c:\users\Vulture\doom\pwads\d2twid.wad
(732 lumps)
DeHackEd patch lump installed
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 5: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 5: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 8: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 18: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 28: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 38: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 48: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 58: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 65: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 65: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 69: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 80: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 90: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 100: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 110: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 120: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 130: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 140: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 150: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 160: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 170: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 180: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 190: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 200: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 210: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 220: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 230: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 240: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 250: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 260: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 270: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 280: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 290: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 300: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 311: Bad syntax.
Script error, "MAPINFO" line 321: Bad syntax.
Playing demo DEMO1

It must have something to do with the level names because every map shows up as "Lookup" in the automap. The standalone DEH file appears to work when I run it with doom2.wad and no pwads

"lookup" is the keyword used to say to look for the name in the DEH strings.

I wonder if it isn't easier to fix this on Oda's end for better overall DEH handling. It goes quite beyond the scope of d2twid's goals.

Map26:

Teleport Landing at X=-3472, Y=-528 is marked as "Hard" only.

Causes you to get stuck in the area that leads to it.

Indeed, from what I've seen, Odamex does not support string lookups in MAPINFO, and, due to the side effects this has, d2twid map progression is broken in 0.6.4 as things stand now. I suggest you use this >>MAPINFO<< in which lookups have been replaced with actual level names ("level 33: " prefix has also been added to Hexsoil for consistency; here's ZMAPINFO with the same little change).

Odamex also doesn't support the "sucktime" keyword, but they have taken a sane approach and just ignore unknown keywords, so this has no ill-effects (apart from an error being printed in the console).

I have a working patch adding string lookups for MAPINFO that I will try to submit as soon as I polish the way it integrates with existing code. I also might create a utility that will generate MAPINFO from ZMAPINFO with the ability to keep it compatible with specified ports as I already have a few utilities for amending MAPINFO lumps.

Btw, when we're already knee deep in MAPINFO, is there any other port to look out for regarding compatibility?

I was resuming my playthrough, I played map12 and map13 recently, I'm very satisfied, I even liked this map12 over the original, the lift puzzles were nice and the doom2 theme is intact, I found a minor HOM between two of the three mancubi's platform trap at the SW corner in map13, not a big deal. About that floating leg at the outside area, I guess that is on purpose right?

EDIT: map15 minor tutti frutti, only seen on vanilla and chocolate off course:

about the empty secret over the wood boxes I think it was already noticed.

I can NOT download this pwad! Xaser's link, the link in first post and even the link on official website keep loading but no download window popup.

Xaser said:

Someone mentioned offhand in the reviews section that they were having trouble opening the .zip -- is anyone else getting any issue like this?

7-zip is giving me "Unsupported compression method"; WinRAR extracted it successfully.