Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

[3DGE] Doom Forever REDUX (updated)

CeeJay said:

I've no idea what's causing it, think it's an issue within the engine itself regarding the Cacodemon.

EDIT: Nothing I tried would resolve this issue, and I tried everything I could think of. This is a weird one.

Hmmm, I know there's some glitching with crushing monsters but I've never experienced the doors themselves glitching out and becoming impassible as a result of it. When and where did this happen?

I would too like to know so I can fix this. Wasn't aware of the crushing monster glitch - can you reproduce it and take a video for me please?

Chu said:

I would too like to know so I can fix this. Wasn't aware of the crushing monster glitch - can you reproduce it and take a video for me please?

That might be a little difficult to replicate. A map purposely built to replicate the situation could be the best way to deal with this.

The door glitch I witnessed twice on Map 5 of DOOM 2. The first time was after opening the door that leads to the blue armor, I killed a shotgun guy before the door opened and he appeared crushed and then the entire doorway turned black and was impassible. Using noclip I went into the room and the ceiling was very low and everything was black except for the items in the room. The next door glitch was in the blue room where the cacodemons are. I killed a cacodemon with the plasma rifle before it could leave the room it comes out of. It's body instantly disappeared upon death and I could enter and exit that area without cheating. The imps however couldn't move at all and Killing them caused their bodies to disappear as well.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need anything else. I hope that the Cacodemons attack can be fixed soon.

Chu said:

I have a crusty old laptop, so I prefer not to dabble in recording and uploading videos. I have done so in the past and with poor results and performance. Besides, I have never come across this "door-becoming-impassable" glitch personally, I have no idea where and why it happens.

There is another issue which I am fully aware of which may or may not be related to it. The engine will not crush a THING that was initially something else (through the use of SPAWN or BECOME). For example, the enemy special deaths where they fall to their knees. If that corpse is stuck under a door, it won't be crush.

I also noticed sometimes when you chaingun monsters they instantly become crushed gibs for some reason. It's not really a problem but it isn't supposed to happen I suppose.

Also when you have a zombieman that had his head blown off and is just kneeling there he blocks the way until you shoot him again which is weird. I would've expected some kind of time limit for him to be kneeling but he didn't until I shot him.

The berserk pack takes to long to actually give you the health. I've died a couple times waiting for the animation to play out.

SavageCorona said:

I also noticed sometimes when you chaingun monsters they instantly become crushed gibs for some reason. It's not really a problem but it isn't supposed to happen I suppose.

Did this happen within the proximity of a door/lift/crusher by any chance?

SavageCorona said:

Also when you have a zombieman that had his head blown off and is just kneeling there he blocks the way until you shoot him again which is weird. I would've expected some kind of time limit for him to be kneeling but he didn't until I shot him.

There is a time-limit for most of 'em, just not the one with them headless. I thought it was funnier leaving it like that. They can still be pushed out of the way or knocked over.

doomquake777 said:

The berserk pack takes to long to actually give you the health. I've died a couple times waiting for the animation to play out.

I know, I've already sped it up once. As well as polished it and removed bugs more times that I can count.

The logic is that you don't receive the health boost and the power-up until he actually injects himself. But maybe I could make it so it gives the health instantly but waits with the power-up. How does that sound?

Sounds good to me. All the other power ups give you their benefits as soon as you touch them. Are you thinking of adding anything else to the mod? Or are you at the finalizing stage of the mod?

I'm pretty much at the point where I can't think of anything else to add without altering the game too much. But, glitches will pop up and I will replace sound effects (when I find better ones) from time to time.

Is there anyway you could tone down the red on the screen from the berserk pack? Sometimes the redness makes it impossible to see.

Also it would be awesome if there was a way for us to see the player deaths.

That has been fixed in 2.0.2 to match Radiation Suit logic; I haven't publicly released the executable because I'm still working on Polyobjects, but CeeJay has an earlier test exe that he could give out with that applied.

CeeJay said:

Did this happen within the proximity of a door/lift/crusher by any chance?

No it was actually one of the Cacodemons and one of the Imps in the secret part at the end of Map05 after the doors had opened. They don't block the way either they just disappear into flattened gibs.

Also the no timelimit for beheaded zombies kind of breaks the flow a bit when you can't walk through him. If you notice in the other mod that has this feature, you can walk through it as well as the fact he dies after a while without you doing anything, creating a more fluid flow. It's fine if you don't want to add a timer to him but make him walk-through-able at least so you don't have to waste anything on him.

doomquake777 said:

Awesome! I look forward to the release. Any idea when it will be released?

It would've been released by now, but as I've said, Polyobject logic is still not correct (crashes with TranslatetoStartSpot...) so I want to fix that first. I already said they would make it in 2.0.2 so I don't want to redact that for users who want it :-)

@Savage: Is that with Vanilla or just Doom Forever?

doomquake777 said:

Is there anyway you could tone down the red on the screen from the berserk pack? Sometimes the redness makes it impossible to see.

Like Chu said, will be fixed.

doomquake777 said:

Also it would be awesome if there was a way for us to see the player deaths.

No, only way would be if future releases had a camera-system. Or just a feature for going into 3rd person perspective on command.

SavageCorona said:

No it was actually one of the Cacodemons and one of the Imps in the secret part at the end of Map05 after the doors had opened. They don't block the way either they just disappear into flattened gibs.

I know what you talking about, there are quite a few weird issues throughout MAP05, with sectors suddenly closing and crushing any monsters instantly in the process. The area around the exit room is a prime example.

SavageCorona said:

Also the no timelimit for beheaded zombies kind of breaks the flow a bit when you can't walk through him. If you notice in the other mod that has this feature, you can walk through it as well as the fact he dies after a while without you doing anything, creating a more fluid flow. It's fine if you don't want to add a timer to him but make him walk-through-able at least so you don't have to waste anything on him.

You don't need to waste anything, that's why you have the kick at your disposal (secondary attack for most of the weapons) and this was one of his purposes. And like I mentioned, they can also be pushed out of the way. Or jumped over. Still, I might give 'em a time limit after all.

EDIT

Chu: Vanilla DOOM II v1.9, MAP05. If you play through the level you should undoubtedly come across this issue.

Chu said:

@Savage: Is that with Vanilla or just Doom Forever?

I'm not actually sure, I haven't actually played Vanilla Doom (properly) with 3DGE before and I'm not exactly able to right now, being stuck in bed with a shit laptop that probably can't even run GZDoom (even the old one before they brought out that renderer everyone hates). I only know that it does it with Doom Forever.

A new version is under way, though the amount of changes is still quite minimal. Any ideas, suggestions are welcomed at this point.

I've also re-packaged the Doom Heavy Metal Soundtrack (vol. 4) with compatibility for EDGE/3DGE. Oh, yeah. Expect a DL link soon.

SavageCorona said:

I'm not actually sure, I haven't actually played Vanilla Doom (properly) with 3DGE before and I'm not exactly able to right now, being stuck in bed with a shit laptop that probably can't even run GZDoom (even the old one before they brought out that renderer everyone hates). I only know that it does it with Doom Forever.

3DGE runs on a Sega Dreamcast. You should be covered =)

My laptop is somewhat faster than Dreamcast, and yet 3DGE lags constantly, even when playing the stock maps. No other source port does that.

Da Werecat said:

My laptop is somewhat faster than Dreamcast, and yet 3DGE lags constantly, even when playing the stock maps. No other source port does that.

??? Strange.. what maps in particular? More information would be helpful.

EDIT: try turning VSYNC off (r_vsync 0) in the console.

Updated 08/19/2015

* Improved fire death along with a new smoke effect
* New death frames for the revenant
* A few sprite replacements
* Quite a few new and replaced sounds
* Berserk pack now gives health instantly upon pickup
* Dynamic lighting was tweaked around a little, mostly for enemy projectiles
* A new death for the Hell Knight
* New plasma gun sprites

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bpnjo2ypnl1q0q6/Doom4ever126.zip

Recommended add-ons:
DOOM Metal Soundtrack: http://www.tdgmods.net/smf/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=208
Hi-res texture replacement: http://www.tdgmods.net/smf/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=207

So I have been playing this mod a lot lately and I am enjoying it so far.

I do not know if you plan to update it again, but if you do, I suggest you get rid of the nightvision sprites: much like in earlier versions of Duke it Out in Doom, it does not display properly in widescreen resolutions.

Also, is there a way to play the Master Levels for Doom 2 on Hyper3DGE? I have used Blzut3's patcher to merge them into a single wad, but it does not seem to be recognised.

Just load them as pwads with doom2.wad as the iwad.

What he said

I haven't done anything to the mod in ages, been meaning to re-boot it but just haven't had the motivation.

This honestly is a slower lazier version of Brutal Doom judging from the looks, so I don't feel like this deserves the title "DOOM Forever".
I don't mean to be harsh, but it's just what I think. I'm sorry.

If you do want the title of "DOOM Forever", I suggest you go for something like making the game more intense without editing it visually. Just a suggestion.

Frisky said:

This honestly is a slower lazier version of Brutal Doom judging from the looks, so I don't feel like this deserves the title "DOOM Forever".
I don't mean to be harsh, but it's just what I think. I'm sorry.

If you do want the title of "DOOM Forever", I suggest you go for something like making the game more intense without editing it visually. Just a suggestion.

The original game, Quake, did not contain a single seismic disturbance. I don't see your point.

DOOM Forever is IMO fine as it is, a mod for those of us who don't want as abrupt a change from the original mechanics as something like Brutal Doom, whilst still keeping it fresh.

VGA said:

Just load them as pwads with doom2.wad as the iwad.

How exactly do I do that?

CeeJay said:

I haven't done anything to the mod in ages, been meaning to re-boot it but just haven't had the motivation.

Personally, I do not see what is there to the mod that could warrant a reboot.

I was just wondering if you could put together a small patch to get rid of the nightvision sprites, like you did for Duke It Out in Doom. That would be nice. :)

Ceejay's making 3DGE's popularity increase with each mod.

Wish I could try this since it sounds like Brutal Doom, the way it should be. Unfortunately, I don't have 3DGE on my phone... oh wait.

If you ever get around to working on this again I'd tell you to get rid of the CyberDemon's homing rockets. They make some PWADs borderline impossible whenever there's multiple of them.

Other than that, what's with the green particles that float up from teleporters? Is that an 3DGE thing? It ruins any attempt at ambushes since you'll see the particles float up from the floor even if there's no teleport texture.

What PWADs would that be?

Anyway, is there supposed to be differences between the Pistol and the Rifle? Because if not, then I would suggest you just get rid of the Rifle altogether and replace Zombie Riflemen with the Pistol Zombies from Duke It Out in Doom. Heck, you might as well bring back the Dual Pistols!