Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

If you could create your own source port, what would it be?

See the title of the thread for details. :)
As for me, I would create one that has all the options of ZDoom (both in-game and when it comes to editing), and the ability to turn on the GL options from the menu, kind of like in EDGE. And it would have MD2 support. And of course, two kinds of WAD loading: either from the console (Legacy) or click and drag, a la ZDoom.

Now tell me about yours.

Decal/Sprite UV handling, DDF, poly-based compiling, Shader support, Shader UV handling, Floor/Wall consistency, manual object entries for decoration (a la Duke3D) and static 4 pixel lightmaps.

It would be called...ZalDOOM

hmm it would be prboom perhaps, with a console, maybe GL (if done well) and good netplay.

Thats about it.

Full 3D look up/down (no ZDoom shearing), octtree instead of bsp, dynamic lighting withOUT lightmaps (lightmaps are the dumbest idea I've ever heard of), proper collision dectection between particle engine and game engine (I want to see ricochets off of Revenant armor), and decent goddamn 3d models.

DC

Doom-Child said:

dynamic lighting withOUT lightmaps (lightmaps are the dumbest idea I've ever heard of

Don't bash ZalDOOM damnit! ;)

Uuh you know it's gonna run at 0.03 fps if you apply stencil buffers or shadow maps in a level like Vrack3 ^_^

It'd probably be called NXNDoom or DooM-X-NaVaS or DoOoM's MoOoSe

As ZalDoom, but with scripted/smart cameras, scripted events, new special sectors, scripted pathways within and linking special sectors, and tear out the FPS engine and interface, replaced with the RPG engine/interface I'm writing (tentatively titled "2d10").

Uuh yeah I forgot something along the lines of ACS. Too bad no one seems to care about it.

Well, someone needs to make an editor in which it's much easier to do ACS.

I wouldn't really change anything about the source ports. I'd much rather like to see a Quake-like standard for Doom modding. WAD files would be like Q3's .pk3 files, including dlls for doing all kinds of mods, support for large 24-bit textures, MP3 and OGG support, etc.

Q1 style lighting with lightmaps. 24/32 bit color. Unlimited segs, sides etc. Boom support. ACS+DDF support with more advanced enemy behaviour coding possible. Good netcode. That's about it. No 3Dfloors and no slopes.

It would have JDooM's sweet look, but Godly MD2 models, and you could do things like from SoF like blow their heads off or shoot off their legs, shit like that, but with the editing power of ZDooM, the features of EDGE and the features of legacy.

Simple:
-ZdoomGL of the latest version of Zdoom, but with the ability to turn GL on and off.
-3d bridges.
-The ability to declare new thing #'s, like with DDFs, but a dehacked style of editing. Also some new code pointers.
-Dynamic lighting, but the ability to have sector lighting as well.

LHeretiC

-A Heretic-only port, win32 compatible, Opengl
-3dfloors/Slopes
-Scripting (ACS)
-DDF
-Client-Server multiplay
-Dynamic Lighting, Hi-Res texture support, and other eyecandy
-SUPPORT FOR HHE PATCHES

ZDoom XXL:

-launching program without command line specifications has a more complete menu, including the following options:
---iwads also include chex, hacx, millennium
---'game dll' lets you choose between zdoom, 1.9 exe or any other port ported to zdoom (think of edge.dll)
---play demo with a file finder should also be there, for convenience
---a renderer drop down list, including opengl, opengl2, minigl, direct3d, and of course 32-bit software rendering

-new .wad format... .zwad. it's a zipfile with the following advances:
---any .tga in the zipfile is automatically a texture a/o flat
---lumps are .txt
---version.txt would be there... and would specify iwad and version

-the following are miscellaneous advances:
---zdf support (zdoom ddf)
---up to 4 player splitscreen
---client/server/dedicated server/server search-join all in same exe
---internal level editor with 3d mode for texturing similar to build
---botmatch dm
---REAL TIME display option, so you're not late for work or school
---weapon icons pop up when you select them with the wheel, like UT
---room over room
---MP demos recorded also record EVERYONE's viewpoint, and you can view up to four of them at the same time in splitscreen

I'm medicatd that's all i can think of atm and please don't rag on me for my spelling kthnxbye. =)

Zaldron said:

DID I MENTION FULL HEXEN SUPPORT?!?

You did now crumly. That's right. I called you crumly. What the fuck are you going to do about it? That's right. You're going to watch your life savings deteriorate and probably cuss me out in argenpanish or something. I can take it becaue i can't understand it. So buka ola me chilito taco your ass yourself bucko 'cuz i don't give anything closely resmebling a fuck other than my phone.

ZDoomGL.

Oh and when the new ZDoomGL is done, it is supposed to be able to be implemented straight into ZDoom (ie an opengl option in the menu, which will be REALLY nice)

fraggle` said:

Wow, my own source port, what an idea :)

CAPTAIN WITTY TO THE RESCUE!

Ok, I got new ideas

Visual
-------
MD2 models for everything

Hi-Res textures

Blood splatters on walls, floors and ceilings (if you get blood on the ceiling, you're kicking ass)

Damage to walls from guns, rockets, fireballs, ect.

You could do things like shoot a zombie in the face and watch it's
head go flying

Random graphics for the enemy models (like in SoF)

OpenGL, Direct3d, Software

Lens flare

Sound
-------
All the midis would be replaced with MP3s of the midis

Echos, like in JDooM

Funky shit
-----------
Freelook

Jumping (optional)

Ducking (optional)

Alternate attack modes

Weapon modes (ex. M-16. Primary attack : shoot full auto Alternate attack : single shot MODE 2 Primary attack : 3 shot burst Alternate attack : shoot grenade

Weapon upgrades

Reload states

Enemy reload states

A DDF/Dehacked thingy, but with more power

FraggleScript

ACS

BooM support

Full Hexen support

Full Heretic support

Full Chex Quest 1, 2 and 3 support

Full Strife support

Full Hacx support

Kick ass netcode

Start a server from within the game

CTF

Domination

Harvest

Other DM modes

Chasecam

New ammotypes

Room over room

Cool launcher

Bots

Classes support (like Hexen, but can be for the other games, like Doom, Heretic, ect.)

Weapon packs for each class (like Hexen again)

Cutscene support

There is other stuff I probably forgot again, but hey...this is a lot of stuff.

bigbadgangsta said:

Ok, I got new ideas

So you basically want somebody to convert the Doom textures to Quake2 format?

bigbadgangsta said:

All the midis would be replaced with MP3s of the midis

NO.

That would mean just about all the custom WADs would run on MP3s, making them a bitch to download.

SlayeR said:

ZDoomGL.

Oh and when the new ZDoomGL is done, it is supposed to be able to be implemented straight into ZDoom (ie an opengl option in the menu, which will be REALLY nice).

Where did you hear this at? This is very exciting news.
Sweet!

sopposedly it should be more stable to.
/me hopes for the best.