Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

UAC chainsaws?

Doom 3's storyline implies a wrong shipment.

Otherwise, I can only imagine them being used for creating ice sculptures or -according to Army newb lore- to hack up the gigantic frozen carcasses of that mysterious "godzilla meat" that the Army allegedly uses to feed its troops.

Clonehunter said:

I think in the Doom film (Or the Film novelization) they were actually used for rock cutting.

Diamond-gritted chainsaws are actually used to cut through rock and concrete, so it's a valid option. However, operating them requires a steady supply of water.

Da Werecat said:

I'm more interested in hearing about Doom 64's two-bladed (combat?) chainsaws.

Maybe UAC made that chainsaw specifically for demon killing use after Doomguy's success with using regular chainsaws in Doom 1 and 2.

Whenever people question the logic of chainsaws and no plants being around, I do think about those tall brown trees like BaronOfStuff said.

Doom 3 explains it pretty well, they were shipped mistakenly.

But I don't think they really were meant to be linked to the story or anything, they were merely added for player enjoyment because I guess at the time it was considered "cool" to slaughter enemies with a chainsaw.

I guess I'm more concerned with why they're even using chainsaws a century and a half into the future. You'd think they would have lasers or some cool shit like that.

Gez said:

Diamond-gritted chainsaws are actually used to cut through rock and concrete

Now I'm recalling that exact descriptor. I'm pretty sure it was the film novelization. Huh, interesting.

Avoozl said:

Doom 3 explains it pretty well, they were shipped mistakenly.

But I don't think they really were meant to be linked to the story or anything, they were merely added for player enjoyment because I guess at the time it was considered "cool" to slaughter enemies with a chainsaw.

Well with films like Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness, Scarface, and Chainsaw Massacre, among others... Yah, it was the hip thing back then. Who didn't own a chainsaw for the sole purpose of killing things? Even Weird Al had a chainsaw in a video of his.

Piper Maru said:

I surprised there aren't more energy based weapons in Doom.

Plasma and BFG don't count?

Marnetmar said:

I guess I'm more concerned with why they're even using chainsaws a century and a half into the future. You'd think they would have lasers or some cool shit like that.

For that matter they are still using pistols and shotguns. With cased ammo, at that. Even though for the latter there's a good reason: cased ammo can be fired even in the vacuum of space (contains its own oxidizer), and the weapons firing it are inherently simpler and more reliable than anything based on power electronics, even in the future.

Piper Maru said:

Plasma and BFG count, I just wish there was a few more.

Well there was going to be the Unmaker which wasn't implemented at all, at least it was added in Doom 64.

Avoozl said:

Well there was going to be the Unmaker which wasn't implemented at all, at least it was added in Doom 64.

Isn't the Unmaker a magical construct, rather than a human-made energy weapon?

Waffenak said:

Maybe they planned planting of fast growing trees prior to demon invasion

But for what? UAC is all metal, glass and electronics! Its the future and I don't think they need wood.

codeslicer said:

But for what? UAC is all metal, glass and electronics! Its the future and I don't think they need wood.

Terraforming, breathable air, food production, "home feeling", "green corners" etc.

Piper Maru said:

I surprised there aren't more energy based weapons in Doom.

To be fair, it's hard to get a more destructive device than small explosions that hurl metal at high velocities towards hostiles. Energy weapons are cool, but ballistic weapons will always be cheaper and probably at least as effective.