Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

Wrack launches on Steam!

WildWeasel said:

It really needs some movement in the hammer, slide, and trigger finger. Right now, it might as well just be dancing around on screen like a System Shock 2 weapon.

Yeah, but remember, this isn't Arma 2. The lack of a fully animated firing sequence didn't bother me at all, considering the feel of the game.

I'm not saying that the gun needs full reloading, ironsights, or a tendency to jam. I'm saying it should feel like a goddamn gun and not a Nintendo Zapper. This is the sort of thing that an animator would be able to add without much hassle or change to the game itself.

WildWeasel said:

This is the sort of thing that an animator would be able to add without much hassle or change to the game itself.

Indeed; in fact, he's already taken care of it! :P

Carn, I was wondering. Why did you choose to implement a lives/continues system? It's one thing that really gets in the way of enjoying the game. I get that you don't lose progress and that you don't want the player to die as many times as they want while retaining progress, but there's a reason a different balance has been reached with more recent game design. Even Doom ditched the lives system late in its development.

I just don't think there's much of a logical argument in favor of lives outside of a context of microtransactions. This is a pay-once-play-all-you-want game, so I think the mechanics should reflect that and not carry a vestige of arcade games that used an entirely different monetization model.

WildWeasel said:

I'm saying it should feel like a goddamn gun and not a Nintendo Zapper.

That's a bit harsh, was the "goddamn" part really necessary? Besides, I like Zappers. :(

Sodaholic said:

I just don't think there's much of a logical argument in favor of lives outside of a context of microtransactions.

Ssssshhh... Don't give them any ideas!

See, growing up on Captain N: The Game Master has convinced me that a Nintendo zapper is an acceptable and viable weapon. As godawful as the show was, I will admit it did make the zapper look like a pretty badass weapon.

Sodaholic said:

I get that you don't lose progress and that you don't want the player to die as many times as they want while retaining progress

I think you answered your own question! :)

Carnevil said:

I think you answered your own question! :)

I just reload my game. Sure it takes a little longer (this is 2014 why do we still have loading times) but I don't lose any progress. Practically removes the point of having a lives system. :P

If you do what they did for the new ROTT and replace the save system with the checkpoint + quicksave I'll probably quit playing. Nothing more frustrating than losing your score if you reload your game, or losing your whole level progress because of something stupid.

Well, the system is going to change. You'll be able to save your progress at any point without any penalty, and the lives/checkpoint system will still be relevant. I won't put that in until the full release though since there are still bugs and I don't want to penalize people too harshly should something go wrong that's not their fault.

The last update is out! It includes the last level and reanimated pistol.

We'll now be turning our focus towards finishing the game up. Still a lot of things to reanimate (and just plain animate), things to get done, and even some new features to put in. Very much looking forward to it!

Big thanks to all of you who've given us support and feedback along the way. The game is certainly much better now as a result. I hope the full release ends up being something you all really enjoy.

I'm thinking about buying this game and support it because it looks excellent and fun, and because one of us is behind it but i'm not sure about my system spec.

Can anyone confirm it for me?

intel core i3 3110M
CPU 2.40Gz
4.0GB
Intel graphics 4000

@Archi: Correct. No final boss fight just yet.

@SFoZ911: Your processor/RAM certainly look fine, though I'm not so sure about the GPU. The minimum system requirements are here, and I'm not sure how well that card stacks up.

Yes, I already looked at the minimum requirements..

Let's say I played far cry 2 and bioshock on this machin.do you think i'll be able to play wrack? its not have to be on the highest quality.

I would think so. It's not exactly Titanfall! :P

Just FYI to you and others: it'll be on sale in a couple of days, so...

I found this review on a now-defunct Doom 2 forum:

Wrack is the pinnacle of gaming and a breakthrough in the FPS genre. When I put this product in my toaster, I began to smell a pungent burnt smell, bizarre colored smoke began to exude from it, and then all power stopped in my house, forcing me to go downstairs and reset a fuse. When I went to check the toaster later I couldn't get less than three meters to it due to the pungent smell and tangible cloud of noxious fumes. After hours of letting the air circulate, I finally discovered my toaster was completely ruined. I do NOT recommend this game, the port to toaster was done TERRIBLY and absolutely ruined my toaster system.