Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Special melee weapon move

Heh, I was just playin' RtCW, having fun backstabbing nazis when I suddenly got a rather interesting idea.

When the knuckle duster is selected (if it's in the game) and you sneak up on a bad guy of the weaker kind (former humans and imps) while it has its back turned on you, you should be able to break its neck with your bare hands in one silent kill.

This would at least add some use to an otherwise useless weapon and would be a cool way to silence your enemies imo.

that's a good idea, but I really don't want another stealth game, I got Dues Ex for that. Then again, if you rearly got the chance to find a demon that doesn't notice you (and I hope they don't just stand there and wait and actually walk around the map) it might be a good thing.

I don't think we'll ever be able to sneak behind an enemy. We're talking about stuff that pretty much acts like wild animals.

True, maybe the zombies, but I believe you should never get the chance to fully see your enemy in a passive way. IMO is a lot more scary when, while id keeps attacking you with the same 18 to 24 enemies (I hope so), because of all the trauma, shock, and lighting involved you can't really tell what they look like.

The problem about making the 1st weapon useful at all, however, prevails.

Distant voice : "Release the Carmack quotes !"

John Carmack during Q3's development : "There's really really bad weapons that have a place in single player, because you have to scale trough this large range of monster abilities trough the game. In multiplayer though, it's best to start off with a reasonable decent weapon, one that you can use to actually kill other players with. It's one of the places where the single player game and the multiplayer game come in direct conflict."

Fuck deadnail and his 1.5 GB of Devin Townsend MP3's. I've got 7 hours of Carmack MP3's =)

Maybe being able to sneak up on a former Marine and take him out with your bare hands,I wouldn't mind that. They're sluggish "DEAD-HEADs" anyway,can't even shoot straight! But the idea that you can kill an "IMP"demon? with your hands?! That seems to me to be very "CORNY". Yeah,I know you can beat down an kill an imp in classic DOOM. You can even "SPLATTER" them if you ran at them punching. And I for 1 thought that was really WACK!!!! Even if the imp is the lowest demon of the hord it's still a "HELLSPAWN" and should be respected as one. All I know whether in a videogame or real life,any demon from HELL I can beat down an kill with my bare hands is a demon I would never FEAR nor RESPECT!!! Hand to Hand or martial arts should only be used against former humans/live humans. Punchin a DooM demon should do NOTHING more than just agitate it,or at least entertain it. Against doom demons only "FIREPOWER"(and lots of it) should have any effect.

i like the idea,but it may not work with DOOM.like Zaldron has stated above.it would work with realistic setting game (with human enemy ,like SOF,thief3 or RTCW sequel??)

Yeah, I guess you're right, now that I think about it.

I was aiming it more at former humans - I see them as human soldiers, who have been turned against their own kind - not animal like monsters. They would either do patrol rounds or stand guard.

I disagree with tsareppsun about the imp part - the imp IS the least fearsome demon of them all - it's just a humanoid creature with the ability to hurl fire, nothing too scary imo. The imp is the slave of all the larger demons so it should be low. I don't mind being able to kill it with the fist attack - it would suck if they made the imp too powerful imo, it would suck bad. But the imps shouldn't be caught with its back turned on the player, at least not easily.

But as for the demons in general: Yeah, they should be roaming around and not just stand guard as they basically did in the old Doom games, but if the former humans act more like animals than humans in their general combat behaviour and habits, I'd be seriously dissapointed.

We need some variety in the Goddamn enemies, and what wouldn't be better than to make a *few* of them slightly human in behaviour?

Dsm you are forgetting that the imps has razor sharp claws. And i think that the Imp should be a little bit stronger and not go down so easy after 4 to 6 bullets.

Not forgetting it, just not mentioning it and razor sharp claws is not surprising for a monster like an imp.

To the toughness of the imp: We all have our own tastes, but I would be really dissapointed if I can't kill an imp in one shotgun blast (I'm talking about the single barreled shotgun here!) - it'd take away one of the most glorious aspects of the sb shotgun. If I find that I'm fighting imps almost as tough as the old pinky, then it wont have the right feel to it.
I would, however, want the imp to be more difficult to kill, but it can easily be made more dangerous WITHOUT making it tougher - just a matter of movement speed (which I would be happy to see somewhat speeded up) and general behavior - the old imp is damn easy to kill because
a) its fireballs travel too slow unless you play with fast monsters, making it too easy to dodge which means that you aren't diverting too much of your concentration away from taking aim at it.
b) it moves so darn slowly and it doesn't exhibit any evasive behaviour making it a sitting duck.

But if id touches the hp balance of the old imp "Doom 3" will be losing out of one of the greater experiences that contributed to make the old game so great - the giddy joy of sending an imp crashing to the floor in one shotgun blast.

What do you think about Pinky ( Bull Demon??? ) ? I think it should be little stronger and harder to kill if it will look more like the N64 version. Well maybe you are right with the imp thing but maybe like this.

The first levels in Doom3 they should be weak and not so fast and dangerous. Later on they evolve ( or mutate ) to be faster and harder to kill ( transparent ). And in the last levels they have new type of skin ( last mutation befour last level ) that makes the imp harder to kill ( 2 or 3 shootgun blasts ). In the last level they look a little bit different than the past and are really hard to kill ( harder than a Baron of hell ) and you need 2 rockets to kill it ( or more ).

Thats just a thought i had but maybe it's stupid...

I think the Pinkies whould bull-rush you, knock you flat on your ass, and then chew on you while you're down. You'd have to regain your feet right quick or become a Pinky-snack.

IMJack said:

I think the Pinkies whould bull-rush you, knock you flat on your ass, and then chew on you while you're down. You'd have to regain your feet right quick or become a Pinky-snack.

Yeah, good idea.
Definitely better than the "new pinky" idea I had a little more than a year ago: Basically a less tough version of the Quake1 fiend, which wouldn't be able to jump quite as far as the fiend and it would gnaw on your flesh instead of clawing you like the fiend does up close.
Your idea is not only more original, but it's also much more true to the original pinky.