• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Part of the T.P.P. was leaked

And its all bad.

Here is a video from RT covering it.

And here is a run down of five of the provision in the leak

1. Chilling basic Internet use: The TPP's chapter on IP deals with a host of issues, but its potential impacts on basic Internet freedom and usage are perhaps the ones that would directly impact the most people in the short term. One of the biggest concerns about the agreement raised by the Internet freedom advocacy group the Electronic Frontier Foundation centers around the concept of "temporary copies." Here's the text of the relevant section of the TPP's intellectual property chapter leaked Wednesday:

"Each Party shall provide that authors, performers, and producers of phonograms have the right to authorize or prohibit all reproductions of their works, performances, and phonograms, in any manner or form, permanent or temporary (including temporary storage in electronic form)."

The EFF wrote in a July analysis of the language -- which has not been amended in the intervening months -- that the provision "reveals a profound disconnect with the reality of the modern computer," which relies on temporary copies to perform routine operations, during which it must create temporary copies of programs and files in order to carry out basic functions. This is particularly so while a computer is connected to the Internet, when it will use temporary copies to buffer videos, store cache files to ensure websites load quickly and more.

"Since it’s technically necessary to download a temporary version of everything we see on our devices, does that mean—under the US proposed language—that anyone who ever views content on their device could potentially be found liable of infringement?" the EFF wrote. "For other countries signing on to the TPP, the answer would be most likely yes."

2. Limiting access to medicine: The countries which are party to the TPP will likely see access to affordable medicines fall if the document is ratified as it stands. Major pharmaceutical companies stand to increase profits dramatically if they can diminish the ability of consumers to purchase competing low-cost companies' medications, and the advocacy organization Public Citizen contends that the agreement would have just that effect:

"The U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) has proposed measures harmful to access to affordable medicines that have not been seen before in U.S. trade agreements," Public Citizen stated Wednesday. "These proposals aim to transform countries’ laws on patents and medical test data, and include attacks on government medicine formularies. USTR’s demands would strengthen, lengthen and broaden pharmaceutical monopolies on cancer, heart disease and HIV/AIDS drugs, among others, in the Asia-Pacific region."

The TPP would limit access to medicines by expanding medical patents' scope to include minor changes to existing medications; instituting patent linkage, a regime that would make it more difficult for many generic drugs to enter markets; and lengthening the terms of patents by forcing countries to extend patents' terms during lengthy review processes.

3. Extending patent protections to surgical methods: Another key portion of the newly released TPP chapter on intellectual property would extend patent protections to surgical methods, which are currently allowed to be excluded from patent law under the existing World Trade Organization framework, according to an independent analysis by the nonprofit organization Knowledge Ecology International.

As U.S. law currently stands, ”the performance of a medical or surgical procedure on a body” is currently exempted from various patent protections as they apply to medicines. Under the TPP, that exemption would undermined in many cases.

"The U.S. trade negotiators then proposed adding language that would permit an exception for surgery, but only 'if they cover a method of using a machine, manufacture, or composition of matter,'" KEI wrote on Wednesday. "The U.S. proposal, crafted in consultation with the medical devices lobby, but secret from the general public, was similar, but different from the U.S. statute, which narrowed the exception in cases involving 'the use of a patented machine, manufacture, or composition of matter in violation of such patent.'”

In layman's terms, the United States' TPP proposal would make it so that the patent protections exception would apply only to “surgical methods you can perform with your bare hands," according to Burcu Kilic, legal counsel to Public Citizen's Global Access to Medicines Program.

4. Lengthen copyright term protections: The preliminary version of the TPP would also rewrite the guidelines on international copyright law by lengthening the terms that copyright protections could be applied.

As it stands today under the international 1994 Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights, copyright term protections are defined by country but capped at the life of the author of a work plus 50 years.

But under the TPP, longer copyright protections would likely be forced on countries that are parties to the agreement, the EFF pointed out in a discussion of a previous draft of the agreement that included similar language.

"The TPP could extend copyright term protections from life of the author + 50 years, to Life + 70 years for works by individuals, and either 95 years after publication or 120 years after creation for corporate owned works (such as Mickey Mouse)," the EFF wrote.

The foundation said that the new, longer copyright term protections serve "no empirical purpose," would do much more to bolster the profits of corporations than the artists they pay minimal royalties to, and would harm consumers by keeping works out of the public domain for far longer than under current law.

"The common justification for granting restrictive monopoly rights in copyright law is to provide an 'incentive' for people to generate material that can be enjoyed by the public," the EFF wrote. "But economists and law scholars who have studied this rationale have found that 'the optimal length of copyright is at most seven years.'"

5. Compelling Internet Service Providers to police copyright violations: Much of the TPP chapter that emerged on Wednesday concerns issues with copyright law and Internet operations, and one key provision brings these two realms together in another scary example of the proposed agreement's overreach.

The section in question "insists that signatories provide legal incentives for Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to privately enforce copyright protection rules," according to an EFF analysis. "The TPP wants service providers to undertake the financial and administrative burdens of becoming copyright cops, serving a copyright maximalist agenda while disregarding the consequences for Internet freedom and innovation."

The provision goes far further than existing statutes in many of the countries that are party to the IPP by laying out three-strike rules that would require ISPs to terminate users' Internet access after three allegations of copyright infringement; requiring ISPs to filter online communications for possible instance of copyright infringement; obliging ISPs to block websites that may be engaged in copyright infringement; and potentially forcing ISPs to reveal identities of alleged online copyright infringers to the entities that hold the copyrights in question.

Here is a link to the most current TTP that was leaked onto the net.
http://wikileaks.org/tpp/#start

This is the treaty that starts the New World Order.

Consider it is being negotiated in secret by corporations - not governments - and is being rammed through by undemocratic "fast track" processes which will bypass congressional and legislative bodies entirely.

This is the beginning of the end, IMO.

Don't know why the fuck they're calling this a "Partnership", looks more like corporate America imposing its will on a bunch of sovereign states.

I don't know why they even bother with these treaties. It'd be simpler to just say "everyone is guilty" and be done with it.

Regardless. Things like this Trans-Pacific Partnership and many other attempts should be ignored by everyone. Secret treaties should not have any validity in a democracy!

The very principle of a democracy is that the power is in the hands of the PEOPLE. Anything that is not decided by the people is therefore illegitimate. Treaties negotiated in secret are invalid by their very nature.

You're familiar with the maxim "ignorance of the law is no excuse"? Well, how can you not ignore the law when it is secret? Laws designed in secret are laws designed to be ignored, therefore they are not laws.

(I really think treaties should be subject to popular vote. Without 2/3 positive votes with at least 3/4 voter participation, the treaty isn't ratified. This is the only measure which would kill all of these secret commercial bullshits.)

Gez said:

You're familiar with the maxim "ignorance of the law is no excuse"? Well, how can you not ignore the law when it is secret? Laws designed in secret are laws designed to be ignored, therefore they are not laws.

The problem is that these treaties will not remain "secret" forever, and will be slowly leaked into bill after bill in our country as well as others, until the worldwide standard is to ensure that this insane obsession with IP floods the entire planet.

Patent law has already made pharmaceuticals far more expensive than they should be. But it looks like we haven't seen anything yet.

In this time of Caligulas everywhere marrying and having sex with their horses, science is no longer capable of explaining all of the absurd and terrifying observations. One must accept that 2+2=5 and 4 simultaneously. One must believe that chocolate rations are up and know that up means up which also means down, and know that chocolate is really soylent green, yet it is also simultaneously chocolate. Anyway, one of my conspiracy theories is that some group of master propagandists and social engineers are manipulating the environment to appear tyrannical in an over exaggerated way. Maybe this group has moles/provocateurs infiltrated into many major government and corporate and media systems (kind of like fight club) and they're all coordinating their behavior to make everything appear tyrannical. This is to steer society into a revolution of some sort, since everyone will be wanting to flee this system of artificial economic collapse and human rights violations. Perhaps all this tyranny is a "false flag" BY people in the freedom movement. What better way to steer people toward freedom than making the system appear mega tyrannical. I don't know wtf is going on, but I keep watching the alex jones show every day. I see a lot of artificial economic collapse. There is a brewing civil war in the form of information/economics/etc. Maybe corporate heads watched occupy wall street and talks of bringing out the guillotines etc, shit their pants, got together and agreed to join forces unleash mecha hitler. If the internet dies, can't the darknet continue, and bitcoin? Maybe the master propagandists are good guys and using white propaganda. Maybe they got sick of the system and decided to herd everyone toward bitcoin and systems that better protect individual rights. Or something, my post is cool, thanks for reading it.

Gez said:

(I really think treaties should be subject to popular vote. Without 2/3 positive votes with at least 3/4 voter participation, the treaty isn't ratified. This is the only measure which would kill all of these secret commercial bullshits.)

Nice idea. Unfortunately, in Australia that normally means holding a referendum, and having to explain to the proles what it's all about. It's cheaper and more expedient to just rubber-stamp the damn thing, identify some likely scapegoats and tell the serfs as little as possible.

Aliotroph? said:

The rest of us need to start making partnerships that exclude Americans.

First we need to exclude Harper and any other American lackey.

Technician said:

First we need to exclude Harper and any other American lackey.

Also need to include the good Americans.

sgt dopey said:

Does this mean I should don my tin foil hat and live in paranoia for the rest of my life?

The rest of your life is probably a long time. You'll want a good set of durable, comfortable, stylish metal hats.

Sorry, but I find the medicine lobbying part far worse than Internet censorship and copyright police. I'd be happy with one less safe free speech medium if I can find medicines for my illness [not that I'm specially ill mind you]. ACTA also had these proposals, like that with generic drug banning. Damn that. I take generic drugs all the time when I'm cold.

3. Extending patent protections to surgical methods: Another key portion of the newly released TPP chapter on intellectual property would extend patent protections to surgical methods, which are currently allowed to be excluded from patent law under the existing World Trade Organization framework, according to an independent analysis by the nonprofit organization Knowledge Ecology International.

Nigga, are you fucking kidding me?

Holy shit.

Many libertarians think "i own myself" because each individual is a brain that "homesteaded" their body. And homesteading, mixing one's labor with the land is one way to acquire property, so muthafukas could homestead the whitehouse and the acres of palaces of the rothschilds and rockefellers etc that were criminally obtained (criminal in alternate legal systems which, through agorism, might overshadow the main stream monopolistic legal system.. "the time will come when its time to arrest the cops"- brad spangler). So since people 'own' their body through homesteading, property rights is a central pillar of the voluntary/anarchy/libertarian philosophy, starting at the body and extending into what richard dawkins calls the "extended phenotype" I suppose (like a dam is an extended phenotype of a beaver and its property). In economics property is about scarcity; we can't both own the same pencil at the same time. However we CAN both own the same information at the same time. Information is not zero sum, one does not lose it at the expense of another, both can have the same info due to simplicity of replication. Thus there should be no intellectual property rights; it is not scarce. And the proprietary digital computer tyranny being set up, from windows to the nsa supercomputer identifying your mark of the beast smart phone and obtaining control over you with your face scan and voice identity and whatever rfid chips they will force you to wear, conditioning the population with a frog slowly boiling by advertising rfid for their pets first, is all bla bla whatever I forgot where this sentence started a fraud.
But there is an organization of voluntaryists starting breakaway freedom based civilizations like galt's gulch, seasteading, the free state project etc. They are only now catalyzing and using agorism to do things like start alternative legal systems based on the golden rule/non aggression principle (see shield mutual which defended adam kokesh nonviolently using things like public shaming and call flooding the prisons) and will soon overshadow the obsolete force based statist monopoly systems. So what I'm saying is doomworld should call first dibs on homesteading the white house as soon as the state is overshadowed. I'm gonna draw mustaches on all the pictures and urinate on the walls.

The good news is that there are a few politicians in the US pushing to deny this fast track approval and some of the nations that are participating are also refusing to sign on the TPP as it stands. While there is help this will not pass, I still think its inevitable. Given the actions of the US gov over the last few years, I'm sure they are ready to do what ever it takes to see this shit pass.