Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kyka

Sci Fi Paintings.

I have seen them before but thanks for reminding me that they exist. I do like the mixing of present-day stuff with sci-fi elements. Let's face it, that probably more accurately represents the way technology actually moves on rather than the more traditional "everything is space-aged-looking at the same time and to the same extent" approach.

These are gorgeous. I like how in some of them the artist chose to make the sci-fi technology look abandoned or decayed, though not in the usual gritty Blade Runner-ey type way; more so in the way any industrial or agricultural machinery gets left to the elements eventually. Between that and Enjay's point it makes them all feel very plausible, natural and relatable.

Enjay said:

I do like the mixing of present-day stuff with sci-fi elements. Let's face it, that probably more accurately represents the way technology actually moves on rather than the more traditional "everything is space-aged-looking at the same time and to the same extent" approach.

I would go on to say that, essentially, these are paintings of the world we already live in. We're surrounded by miracle technologies that should have cured every human ill, but... didn't. Our tractors just have wheels and tracks instead of hover pads.

EDIT: The same guy was apparently half the team behind a free retro-styled platformer called Ripple Dot Zero. That link goes to an unflattering review that I agree with. You might still want to check the game out for the art.

While I'm not exactly overwhelmed with the quality of these paintings, for some odd I find myself having a sudden urge to play Myst again.

Oh man, Simon Stalenhag? That guy doesn't suck. I actually bought his Ripple Dot Extra album from Amazon a month ago. Both a painter and a musician...and an indie game designer in his spare time? I'd (figuratively) kill someone to be as talented and awesome as that.