Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Wads with non-standard key colours?

Caverns of Darkness has black keycards in MAP04,05,09. What are invasion-style wads?

Most of Ultimatedoomer's wads have a green keycard as opposed to a yellow one. In Super Sonic Doom, there's six colors of keycards, the 3 regular colors as well as orange, green, and purple.

I think he is referring to maps with the "invasion" game type, like on zandronum and skull tag. You know, the ones where you kill a certain amount of monsters and then move on to progressively harder waves, as new parts of the map opens up. I can't think of any maps with other colored keys at the moment, though.

I can't think of any Invasion maps that use keys at ALL, honestly; generally they automatically open up parts of the map as the waves progress.

Why the shit would an invasion map need k--

I'll never understand the mappers in that community.

Memfis said:

Maybe he's talking about Invasion UAC? (it has some new keys)

Correct, though my memory had me thinking they were in the first map. Also I'm sure I've seen many other wads like that which are a mp slaughterfest - I thought they had some sort of name.

I guess by other wads you mean Coopbuildlm, DBZone, Drown in Blood, Shogun Trogun Coop, Destination Unknown, etc: popular ZDaemon wads with lots of monsters. But I've never seen anyone referring to them as "Invasion style maps" before... Invasion UAC wasn't even the first wad in this style I think. Or was it? I don't know much about early ZDaemon history, I came in 2007 iirc.

A bit off-topic here, but regarding KDIZD: I have to extract the wads for doombuilder to be able to read them. Now if I want to search for the non-standard keys as things, how am I going to be able to find them? Since doombuilder can't refer to the DECORATE list.

Also "Sapphire: Orbital Research" by Tormentor667 is worth mentioning in this connection (not invasion-style, though).

Grain of Salt said:

I was waiting for memfis to mention kuchitsu, but i guess he's not going to so I might as well. It's not invasion, but it's an interesting mapset, and it has green keys.

That's the best map I've played since ZDCMP2.

Here's one for you all: any wads where you get a key right at the start of the map?

invictius said:

Here's one for you all: any wads where you get a key right at the start of the map?

MAP01 from both Demonfear and The Last Revenger. In both cases, the keys (yellow and blue respectively) are in the same room where you start. And in both cases, the room is really small, so you can get them in 1 or 2 seconds.

Zed said:

There was also a map made for July 4th if I'm not mistaken, which uses a white keycard. I can't remember the name, though.

It's The Fireworks Factory. Thanks to Memfis and invictius for helping me remember it.