Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Waffenak

What Doom marine eats and how long his journey is?

How exactly marine could survive in desolate military bases or harsh conditions of hell? Does he drink hp bonuses and eats demons flesh or what and how long his journey is measured in days? I haven't seen thread concerning these matters before.

I can imagine that in the meantime between you exit a level and start the next, a certain unspecified amount of time might have passed. Any kind of events may happen in that time, including Doomguy having a snack, going to a toilet or procrastinate whole weaks in his hideout before he accepts a new mission. Therefore, there isn't an answer.

Before anyone mentions it, Memorial.wad denies this theory, I know. :)

Waffenak said:

How exactly marine could survive in desolate military bases or harsh conditions of hell? Does he drink hp bonuses and eats demons flesh or what and how long his journey is measured in days? I haven't seend thread concerning these matters before.

Marines of the future are engineered to draw energy from their surroundings. By passing through the nuclear plant in E1M2, he recharged his batteries long enough to make it to Hell, where the ambient chaotic power sustains him.

Doom 3 takes place somewhere in the 2140s. If we are to assume the classic games are set in a similar timeframe, I can only assume we'll have amazing technological advancements in military gear and uniforms. For instance, the stimpacks and medikits could be seen as pills or syringes containing nanobots that offer varying degrees of repair to injury, healing the subject almost immediately.

DoomGuy's incredible speed, as some have suggested, could be the result of augmented boots, which isn't too crazy considering what the U.S. military is working on these days.

As for food and drink? I'd like to think that his uniform is, among other things, a high-tech life support system (which is why he knows the exact state of his health and armor in numerical values), one which likely provides water and basic nutrition, probably through a non-invasive system that can absorb it directly into the bloodstream, eliminating the need to actually eat and drink. I'd like to think that the switches between some levels probably access a monorail system (like that in Doom 3), or provide some other means of transportation to a new area.

I know I overthink this shit. It's a goddamn video game, after all. But I love technology, so these are fun thought experiments.

scifista42 said:

I can imagine that in the meantime between you exit a level and start the next, a certain unspecified amount of time might have passed. Any kind of events may happen in that time, including Doomguy having a snack, going to a toilet or procrastinate whole weaks in his hideout before he accepts a new mission. Therefore, there isn't an answer.

Most logical answer, shouldn't there be a time limit if so?

joe-ilya said:

Most logical answer, shouldn't there be a time limit if so?

When his hideout is discovered/compromised or his supplies run out seems like a good moment to accept that the shit has hit the fan once again, and he grudgingly gets off his ass for another mission.

I'm sure Doomguy could find plenty of rations left behind aboard the moon bases. Either that or he really is using the chainsaws to obtain meat. There's probably plenty of bathrooms that he could get water from and of course, do his business.

As for how long his journey is. In Doom 1 (Ignoring Thy Flesh Consumed) I assumed it was around 2-3 days at the most. But taking in the fact that he moves around at 57 mph it could be only a few hours. I assume a week or so went past as he arrived back on Earth and got back together with the marines. Doom 2 I imagine takes place over a few weeks depending on how far he travelled over the course of the game. His journey in Doom 64 is probably the same length as Doom 1 though could be longer.

Dunno about Final Doom since I haven't played enough of it.

Waffenak said:
Does he drink hp bonuses and eats demons flesh or what and how long his journey is measured in days?

Maybe he does get nutrients from the health potions, but game time is never more than what you can survive without food in a single level, and the Marine may be having lunch between levels, except in those "continuous" level sets where the end of one level is immediately linked to the start of the next.

So perhaps we should just be humane mappers and give the Marine a chance to eat and poop or even sleep in some undefined areas between levels instead of driving him through endless combat situations.

In Wolfenstein 3D this topic was answered by the dog food and and plates with food, but that begs the question of going to the bathroom rather often.

myk said:

In Wolfenstein 3D this topic was answered by the dog food and and plates with food, but that begs the question of going to the bathroom rather often.

BJ also eats human flesh!

myk said:

As if he really cares whether he soils the Nazi's facilities or offends his "hosts'" sense of etiquette and cultural sensibilities. They are fucking nazis who jailed him!

So, he will do his business whenever and wherever he pleases, and use the (already brown) coat of some dead SA/SS guard to wipe, afterwards (or, if he's feeling "classy", a Nazi or Hitler flag). His only real problem would be being caught when busy, but even then he'd just shoot and yell "At least gimme some privacy, you nosy nazi bastard!".

This goes doubly for Doomguy: on the one hand he doesn't really have any use for dainty toilet manners when his only "roomies" are bestial zombies and demons, and since the demons are already so good at tracking him, he doesn't even need to worry about concealing his business (or maybe he should...and that's how the demons REALLY lock on him ALL the time? Hmmm O_o)

Maes said:

This goes doubly for Doomguy: on the one hand he doesn't really have any use for dainty toilet manners when his only "roomies" are bestial zombies and demons, and since the demons are already so good at tracking him, he doesn't even need to worry about concealing his business (or maybe he should...and that's how the demons REALLY lock on him ALL the time? Hmmm O_o)

You know the BROWN textures right? Yeah...

kmxexii said:

Marines of the future are engineered to draw energy from their surroundings.

Precisely, and part of that bio-engineering allows them to derive energy from the sun via photosynthesis, which is why the player sprite is predominantly green. That's actually the marine's skin, but in order to avoid an Adults Only rating it's been styled to look like a uniform.

I miss the days of games like the old Duke Nukems, Commander Keen, Chex Quest and Wolf 3D where the player got health from eating apples and turkey legs and drinking soda pop. Now all our video game heroes are popping painkillers. Blegghh

I just thought that maybe our marines armor works same manner as fremen suit in Dune universum. You crap and piss in it and it recycles whatever it can from your feces to keep you going

40oz said:

I miss the days of games like the old Duke Nukems, Commander Keen, Chex Quest and Wolf 3D where the player got health from eating apples and turkey legs and drinking soda pop. Now all our video game heroes are popping painkillers. Blegghh

And they're all stuck with constipated grimaces on their face while they think only in metaphors.

Clonehunter said:

And they're all stuck with constipated grimaces on their face while they think only in metaphors.

Yeah, bowel regularity hardly seems to be a consideration for videogame heroes nowadays. Of course, Doomguy was quite ahead of his time, as always.

Just for the fun of it i will state :
Demons and zombies track him by the stench of the inhumane filth that is covering his entire body. He does not go to the toilet, and his bath is the blood of the enemy.

serious :
Interesting as this idea sounds, i feel no need to look for that which the game does not provide.Unless i would want to make a mod, or my own game.

I would like to think that the health and stimpacks are capable of keeping a human body alive and fed.

Clonehunter said:
And they're all stuck with constipated grimaces on their face

Aha, so that's why there's a mysterious ouch face in DOOM!

FireFish said:

Just for the fun of it i will state :
Demons and zombies track him by the stench of the inhumane filth that is covering his entire body. He does not go to the toilet, and his bath is the blood of the enemy.

I would SO buy a manly "DooM" or "Doomguy" aftershave modelled after this description.

myk said:

Aha, so that's why there's a mysterious ouch face in DOOM!

Well, what face do you think comes up when Doomguy uses his special DMCHOSHO attack, while with all others he just clenches his teeth? Doomguy TRULY knows his way to complete liberation. When not using said attack, the ouchface is actually a sign of relief for "letting go". He thinks: "After all, I'm getting bashed hard here...none's gonna blame me if I soil myself a bit while enduring all that pain!"

If I were the doomguy I wouldn't use the toilets to shit. What if some nasty hellspawn decides it would be a good time for some anal inspection? BrrRRr

If anything, I'm worried that Doomguy's diet contains too many proteins and not enough fibre. If it wasn't for the unholy DMCHOSHO chow (which, as it's well-known, contains highly concentrated vegetal fibers, chick-peas, pineapple core, wood pulp, fig extract, lentilles, beans, WHOLE prunes with their SEEDS (dehydrated to micro-scale), escolar and castor oil), Doomguy would really shit solid demonic protein bricks.

Also, for good comedic effect (from an older thread):

Maes said:

For an even funnier effect, fire up vanilla Doom or a source port by limiting the number of sound channels to e.g. 3 or 4.

Get the chainsaw, select it, and place Doomguy into a damaging sector.

You will hear a series of brief, quenched, forced pain sounds that sound as if he's trying to pass some hard turds piece by piece.

And of course:

Maes said:

Doomguy's pain sound sounds like someone taking a dump in reverse. Fact.