Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

When do you consider a level beaten?

Piper Maru said:

I consider a level beaten when I hit the exit switch.

I was going to say the same, but really, it's as simple as that.

I always thought of "I'm too young to die" as a way to admire the scenery, and maybe kill a few enemies along the way. So unless I complete a level on at least "Hurt me plenty" I don't think it's done. I have to agree with Touchdown though, I can't stand BS fights.

HMP but always with Pistol Starts.
Without Pistol starts UV is the way to go.

I consider a level beaten when the exit switch is hidden. 100% kills and secrets are not necessary.

@EvilNed - Pain Elementals?

Piper Maru said:

I consider a level beaten when I hit the exit switch.

Exactly. That's really all there is to it. Anything else is an asterisk. Like beat level* with 100% secrets. Beat level* on easy. Unless there's an achievement attached to it, I don't give a fuck. If there is 0 challenge I'll increase the difficulty. If I find secrets I find secrets, but I won't labor over it thinking where is that last one?

I'm kind of happy if I don't get 100% kills. It makes me feel like I didn't have to kill everything in the level or I had a choice of paths where I didn't see all the enemies.

I play continuous with autosaves at the start of each level: I used to do save-scumming, but then I came across Doomworld. :P I usually try to get 100% on the levels I play, although some of the more hectic ones usually result in a mad dash to the exit.

Obsidian said:

I used to do save-scumming, but then I came across Doomworld. :P

Heh same. I read a lot of people's posts claiming that the game was more challenging and rewarding, and that you learned faster, without saving every 20 seconds, and upon trying it I discovered that this was true.

Or maybe I was peer pressured into it. Either way.

When I hit the exit switch.

I generally play on UV and I generally save only at the beginning of each level. I prefer to take in each level in its entirety and never in small parts, so no save-scumming.

Levels I know very well I may try to 100% on kills and secrets. Don't care about items.

Depends on how you define 'beaten'; a level's finished when I exit it, but I consider it 'beaten' when I have killed everything that lurks within and found all the secrets.

I find that you beat the level once you hit that level end switch. I like to imagine objectives like secrets or kill all monsters to be like side quests. You don't necessarily have to do them. you do get some bragging rights if ya do them however.

Clonehunter said:

It's over when the Fat Demon sings.

I take it you weren't keen on Dead Simple then? :P

In my opinion, a level is beat when you reach the exit switch. I usually like to get 100% of the enemies killed. I can careless about getting all the items. I beat Doom 1 Knee-Deep in the Dead on Ultra violence with all the secretes and enemies killed. I take pride in that ^_^