Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Hog

End of an era: John Carmack leaves id

Ah, despite this being doomworld and all, we don't have to fellate id and john carmack at every opportunity. Jesus christ.

Quast said:

Ah, despite this being doomworld and all, we don't have to fellate id and john carmack at every opportunity. Jesus christ.

I think more negativity towards John and id is presented in this thread than "fellating," as you put it.

Of course, unless you're being sarcastic, that is. The older I get the more I think I may fall into the ever-growing autistic spectrum.

StupidBunny said:

Now is the time for Tom to make his triumphant return! Tei Tenga ho!

I'd like to see him acquire the Commander Keen IP.

He doesn't need id.

I was hoping Bethesda/Zenimax would offer him a load of "crazy money" (for his rockets) if he fixed their TES/Fallout engines. Those guys write buggy, inefficient stuff and use it to make better games than id.

I dunno, I think this is sort of a good thing. I'd like to see where Occulus goes and would like to see if he does anything mroe with all that other VR stuff. Breaking from iD, for him at least, might be good for his career.

Well this sucks. What's going to become of id Software and Doom 4 now? If Doom 4 fails, then I think it's safe to say that id Software is dead, unless if they can think of another game. Also, what would John Romero think of this?

Technician said:

Whatever. The man is a tech genius, but he's not the great game developer that we have made him out to be.

In fact, he'd be OK simply making Quake games over and over if the market allowed it.

Implying any of the id crew did anything great after they've been fired.

Oh God please no!

chungy said:

I'm surprised he held in there as long as he did. id will be dead soon, I expect.

They still have a shot with Doom 4.

Who knows, maybe this is for the best. The very cramped and dark rooms in Doom 3? Was mostly his fault. The ridiculous texture popping from RAGE at launch? Also his fault. Judging the pattern, my conclusion is that if the tech can make a satisfactory experience (both games were at least satisfactory) he will do it even at the expense of the quality of the game.

So the last knight left the castle. Now starts the turmoil of Id. I still hope old id staff unites somehow again to form new "Id". I wonder what licenses carmack owns.

I think I'd say the beginning of their slow death until now was after Quake 3 Arena's success.

Piper Maru said:

Farewell Sweet Prince.

He's getting better! He's feeling fine! He doesn't want to go in the cart! He thinks he'll go for a walk. He feels happy...

No but seriously, can you stop it with the farewells?

Let's make a bet how long before Id begins its slow descent to destruction. Let me bet 12 to 18 months before things get real bad.

Gez said:

He's getting better! He's feeling fine! He doesn't want to go in the cart! He thinks he'll go for a walk. He feels happy...

No but seriously, can you stop it with the farewells?

What a story Mark.

Mr. Chris said:

Let's make a bet how long before Id begins its slow descent to destruction. Let me bet 12 to 18 months before things get real bad.

Or maybe they'll get better? You never know. Maybe fresh blood is what id needs.

Of course, Call of Doom 4 doesn't give me much comport.

I say they'll get better.

So even though he leaves ID will he still support ID tech? Will he make a company that just makes 'his engine' and license it to Bethesda / Zenimax? I know about him being Oculous Rift's front man and I think Oculous Rift will be on the next episode of Shark Tank.

I have mixed feelings about this. Id haven't made a game I've given a hoot about since Quake 3, and sure, it might be a cloud with a silver lining. But it's a little saddening all the same. His name is synonymous with the company as far as I'm concerned.

Netherstorm said:

You hate the word 'farewell' eh?

It is kinda annoying, the guy's doing what he wants to do. Carmack was talking about doing VR back in the 90s, working with Oculus is probably close to his dream job right now.

Shaviro said:

Yeah. Sacrificing all sorts of dynamics in the world as well as textures that still make sense at 3 feet in order to fix a non-issue like tiling textures and nice-to-have's like 60fps tells me your focus is way off.

Megatextures aside, if you degrade an important target like 60 FPS and equal refresh rate in an FPS to a "nice to have" then I'd say it's you who need to check your priorities. It's just a crying shame that they didn't do the same for Doom3 and ETQW.

At this stage I don't think Doom 4 is going to be the Doom we know and love, it's probably going to distance itself further from the original Doom even moreso than Doom 3 did.

kristus said:

Megatextures aside, if you degrade an important target like 60 FPS and equal refresh rate in an FPS to a "nice to have" then I'd say it's you who need to check your priorities. It's just a crying shame that they didn't do the same for Doom3 and ETQW.

60 FPS in a single player shooter is a nice to have if I ever saw one.