Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Hog

End of an era: John Carmack leaves id

Gez said:

He's getting better! He's feeling fine! He doesn't want to go in the cart! He thinks he'll go for a walk. He feels happy...

Whack him when nobody's looking - problem solved.

Piper Maru said in about a dozen different threads:

What a story Mark.

I defarnately see what you're trying to do here, ixday ixday ixday.

Phml said:

I defarnately see what you're trying to do here, ixday ixday ixday.

Oh good, someone else noticed.

I can only find two, maybe the others have been quietly deleted.

EDIT - make that four, found a couple more in Post Hell.

Sucks he left id, but well, hopefully he's happy working on Oculus Rift or whatever he's working on now.

Still looking forward to Doom 4 getting delayed over and over then sold to Gearbox and renamed to DoomGuy Forever

I know this thread is somewhat old. But this asshole needs to make a game engine for Metroid Prime. How bout'; Metroid Prime 4 with something like Oculus Rift VR headset and wiimote.

Sorry for being a necromancer but today i read an article about the reason of why John Carmack left Id, sadly (for you) it's not in English, it's in Spanish, I'll leave the link here:

http://www.realovirtual.com/es/noticias/zenimax-no-permitio-a-john-carmack-hacer-doom-4-para-oculus-rift

It's says that basically Carmack was forced to choose, between working at Id or working in the Oculus Rift, Carmack choose to not renewing his contract at Id.

Piper Maru said:

John Carmack abandoning id software is tearing me apart!

What a story Mark.

129thVisplane said:

Still looking forward to Doom 4 getting delayed over and over then sold to Gearbox and renamed to DoomGuy Forever

I hope that does happen.

Touchdown said:

I don't understand why Zenimax didn't want anything to do with Oculus.

Maybe because ZeniMax doesn't consider it profittable enough for'em. Or maybe because they don't want to do anything with VR tech at all. Who knows, since ZeniMax did not comment on what Carmack said?

Probably not wanting to get their brands entangled in co-development with third-party companies and the legal issues that it might cause with regards to ownership and rights.