Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Duke Nukem-esque gameplay mod

Hail to the king, baby

A simple but very fun gameplay mod for EDGE 1.36 that puts you in the boots of Duke Nukem, complete with an ass-kicking arsenal, colorful power-ups and a butt-load of witty one-liners. Designed with stock DOOM levels in mind, no new levels and no new enemies.

Come get some:http://www.mediafire.com/download/dv8tfec85jd0ys9/Duke4Doom.wad

Credits to id Software, 3D Realms and the awesome Jon St. John

The link says:

This file is currently set to private.

When a resource is set to private by its owner, only the owner can access it. If you would like to request access to the file, please log in to your account.

Couldn't you please allow it for a free access?

I approve of this :D

Played through something a few days ago, seems pretty damn authentic! I love how the Pistol is actually quite useful now, it has a sleek accuracy and can be effective on not only Zombies.

You mention the mod is simple, are Duke's health/armor variables altered in comparison to Doomguy? He seems to be a lot more vulnerable to hitscanners hence just like Duke3D, any reason why the Pipebomb has no detonator? Aside from the assumption that their was difficulty programming it, pretty tricky to land it just at the right spot in the heat of combat but it suffices nonetheless.

One key criticism I have however is why does the RPG and Devastator use a cliche party cracker sound? It's pretty damn out of place and annoying, I'd much rather it use their respective counter parts from Duke Nukem 3D, I have to complement with on randomizing all the one-liners though so you often get a completely new one out of the blue.

I see you dashed the Chaingun Cannon but I'm sure the dual Sub-Machine guns are more useful in this regard, well they seemed pretty damn overpowered in Duke Nukem 64 anyhow! I haven't checked if the Freezethrower bounces off walls but the animation seems somewhat slower and sluggish.

Bloodite Krypto said:

One key criticism I have however is why does the RPG and Devastator use a cliche party cracker sound? It's pretty damn out of place and annoying, I'd much rather it use their respective counter parts from Duke Nukem 3D

The original DN3D sounds are probably absent because of the shit bitrate compared to the other sounds in this mod. They sound fine when combined with all the other low-quality sounds of DN3D, but here... not so much. They'd sound positively awful and (laughably enough) out of place.

Bloodite Krypto said: Played through something a few days ago, seems pretty damn authentic! I love how the Pistol is actually quite useful now, it has a sleek accuracy and can be effective on not only Zombies.

Yes, I made it more like the Duke pistol. It is the most accurate weapon and ammo for it is plentiful so it is a useful weapon.

Bloodite Krypto said:You mention the mod is simple, are Duke's health/armor variables altered in comparison to Doomguy? He seems to be a lot more vulnerable to hitscanners hence just like Duke3D

I made changes to the way armor works, but I think that's it.

Bloodite Krypto said:any reason why the Pipebomb has no detonator? Aside from the assumption that their was difficulty programming it, pretty tricky to land it just at the right spot in the heat of combat but it suffices nonetheless.

The pipe bombs are tricky as all hell to code, and while I can get it to (partially) function like in Duke 3D it would be nowhere near as smooth and comfortable to use.

Bloodite Krypto said:One key criticism I have however is why does the RPG and Devastator use a cliche party cracker sound?
It's pretty damn out of place and annoying, I'd much rather it use their respective counter parts from Duke Nukem 3D, I have to complement with on randomizing all the one-liners though so you often get a completely new one out of the blue.

Maybe, but it's the best HQ replacement I could find. As for the voices, there's 30+ one-liners for normal deaths, 30+ for gibbing and and lot of other specific ones for different actions and deaths. EDIT: What BaronofStuff said.

Bloodite Krypto said:I see you dashed the Chaingun Cannon but I'm sure the dual Sub-Machine guns are more useful in this regard, well they seemed pretty damn overpowered in Duke Nukem 64 anyhow! I haven't checked if the Freezethrower bounces off walls but the animation seems somewhat slower and sluggish.

The Chaingun Cannon was replaced with the SMG because I like it better. The freezethrower is pretty accurate by my count and the projectiles do bounce off walls.