Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

level designers, where do you get your music from?

...because at least half of it as always awesome. I downloaded a pack of about 50,000 midis, but they're too random. Also, I don't think midifarm is around anymore. How do you pick them?

I go to vgmusic.com to get mine.

Basically, I just listen to a bunch of MIDIs from the "Playstation 1" section, unless there's a particular soundtrack that I think would be suitable (such as the Guilty Gear games, although most of the MIDI versions of those songs are awful).

man up, sift through the mountains of shit (see: vgmusic, world of game midis, etc), you'll find some gems.

I do tire of the standard midi sources: duke, blood, rott, descent, heretic, hexen, etc. so bonus points for deviating outside those.

Mostly just from other wads (without permission). I've played so many I know hundreds of midis I really like. Sometimes I try out random stuff from vgmusic and very rarely I might search for a midi of a specific song.

Yeah, I usually just half-inch mine from other wads. I've been trying to make my own, but I never seem to make anything that really pops. :/

vgmusic, knightriderofdoom has quite a few good ones on his site, midimelody.ru has a ton. symphonyx had a band page with a lot of midis of their songs, I think it's gone though. I've gotten a couple from jimmy91, and there are a couple other midi composers on dw.

When and how do you ask for permission?

That's actually something I'd like to know. Because, I'm not sure where is the borderline when it's acceptable (by the community at least) and without a risk to use a music without permission, and when it's not. You know, I'd hardly go contact Apogee for using a RoTT midi. But I'm for example unsure whether I should, for example, contact the creator if I'm taking midi from a 15 years old Doom project. 10 years old. 2 years old. The person is still active in Doom community. The person is not active anymore. You see what I mean?

IMO, original MIDIs are like any other resource in a wad. If the textfile says you can use it, you can; if not, you need permission. Whether it's old, whether the author is easy to contact, or whatever, is entirely irrelevant.

Re: using music from other games, doesn't that disqualify you from idgames since this music is copyrighted?

SteveD said:

Re: using music from other games, doesn't that disqualify you from idgames since this music is copyrighted?

technically yes, in reality nobody cares

SteveD said:

You would think, but if Alien Vendetta can get away with it...

kalinus said:

Edit: These are not midi files but the top two have files that can be converted

http://www.zophar.net/music.html

Great place for actual classic game files also has tools to convert files to midi like nsf (nintendo sound file)

Converted emulated files tend so sound like utter shit, though.

scifista42 said:

When and how do you ask for permission?

That's actually something I'd like to know. Because, I'm not sure where is the borderline when it's acceptable (by the community at least) and without a risk to use a music without permission, and when it's not. You know, I'd hardly go contact Apogee for using a RoTT midi. But I'm for example unsure whether I should, for example, contact the creator if I'm taking midi from a 15 years old Doom project. 10 years old. 2 years old. The person is still active in Doom community. The person is not active anymore. You see what I mean?

That's like the Odessa wads, the author didn't allow anyone to distribute them outside of Compuserve, so now the people that do still have them, can't hand them out. Are we okay to disregard author permissions after their death or something?

invictius said:

Are we okay to disregard author permissions after their death or something?

70 years after author's death.

Yeah, you'll probably be dead too by then.

Alternate solution: is the name "Compuserve" free?... :p

I've been itching to make use of some of the non-piano MIDIs here, though I hadn't had an opportunity yet.
However, if you don't take music directly from other shooter games, it tends to be a bit hard to find tunes which fit Doom (though surprises do happen; like who knew The Cranberries' "Zombie" would work so well on 1monster map05?)

Memento Mori II, some Pcorf projects or composing something that isn't a pain listening to.

pcorf said:

If its not my own compositions I'd pick songs from Doom and Doom 2.

How ironic that you've commented right after me saying that I'm fond of picking your compositions. :D
Well, I've heard the Pcorf Reject's MAP09 music in 1994TU MAP03 and MAP15, so I'm not the only one. :P

Guys, if you are in need of some midis, I can provide some. I compose badass melodic death metal. PM me and I might come up with something, tailored uniquely to fit the level.

I like to use my own compositions when I can, although I don't have many good ones that are finished. I generally stick to music from Doom and other computer/video games, since they're designed to loop and are often quite cool, although occasionally I'll track down a MIDI version of an "actual" song that I think would work.

Shadow Hog said:

Converted emulated files tend so sound like utter shit, though.

Umm actually they sound just fine i didn't customize the insturments so its generic but here is a song from a nsf file converted to midi by me in about 30 seconds here is the link

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r9qb38999iowbzm/flying%2520warriors.mid

Edit: why not heres another http://www.mediafire.com/download/23fnu7x29r5wtka/Time%2520Lord.mid

They could use some small tweaking but its a very easy way to introduce new midi music to the doom community