Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxbio Warfare11

Greenday (1991-1994)

They seemed awesome as a teenager but nowadays I can't really stand to listen to much of it. Particularly with their early stuff, every song sounds the same. When you can only play 3-4 chords there's only so much variety to be had, I guess.

American Idiot is the exact moment when they became a pop act. I'm not saying they were particularity punk rocker at the time of their youth, but their first couple of albums were genuinely listenable. If given the option, I'd love to be in Billie's position as a guitar player.

I find Blink 182 to be quite good in their youths, too.

fraggle said:

When you can only play 3-4 chords there's only so much variety to be had, I guess.

Stay away from blues, pop, and anything other than prog and free Jazz.

Marnetmar said:

1,000 hours and Kerplunk are okay but I think Dookie through Nimrod were their prime.

I too really liked dookie -nimrod, it was a little more angry and energetic.

It's shit. All punk rock is shit. Except Punky Brüster, that's beyond ingenious, of course.

Green Day was always one of my favorite bands growing up and to an extent still is. Not too keen on their stuff from Warning onwards, but I'll always have a spot for their older stuff in my heart.

It's shit. All punk rock is shit.

WOT?!?! grrr

Greenday strikes me as a band for people who found the original punk rock sound to be too grimy, diverse, rule-breaking, naive and extreme, and instead want to settle for something safe, family friendly and non-threatening.

I listened to Kerplunk and Dookie back in the day, but I've been done with Green Day for years. I remember getting their best of album and being bored of it pretty quickly. I think that's when I realized albums need highs and lows and if its full of hits.... you find your own lows.

Personally, I thought Dookie was probably their best album. I bought their Woodstock 94 performance live on pay per view. All I remember from it was he ate mud and had some 10 minute rendition of Paper Lanterns then argued with my neighbor that Paper Lanterns is a song that doesn't exist let alone by Green Day. Oh teens.

as far as punk rock goes... eh. never really liked them that much. the albums i found in thrift stores weren't all that good to listen to, really, and Billie's vocals don't really lift the songs forward as much as it should. i prefer The Offspring and blink-182 over them, personally.

GoatLord said:

Greenday strikes me as a band for people who found the original punk rock sound to be too grimy, diverse, rule-breaking, naive and extreme, and instead want to settle for something safe, family friendly and non-threatening.

One of my favorite stories from DEVO's early days was how the New York Dolls and the other CBGB regulars looked down on them because they didn't wear a shirt and tie like regular punks, and their music had weird time signatures.

In other words, DEVO wasn't punk because they didn't conform to the style and write music you could dance to.

Dookie was pretty much the first album I ever owned thanks to older siblings so it'll always have a pretty special spot in my life. That being said, I can now acknowledge it as a listenable albeit watered-down album that is, at least in part, responsible for pushing rock music into the proverbial toilet hole that it is today.

There's better bands in the genre, personally I like The Offspring and Sum41. But I like some of Greenday's songs, namely the ever over-popularized Blvd of Broken Dreams, and that shoplifting song. I think it was just called "Kleptomaniac", but I don't remember.

Been listening to Kerplunk a lot lately. It's a great album.

On a note outside of the first 3 albums, I first heard Brain Stew as a MIDI on the Invasion UAC co-op wad and loved it. Then I heard the original and loved that too.

Dookie was pretty good, but never listened to the first two. I liked Nimrod quite a bit too. Not much after that, though.

dew said:

It's shit. All punk rock is shit. Except Punky Brüster, that's beyond ingenious, of course.

You're letting your inner Faggot Kid out again. Music is subjective, even when I'm with you on disliking Punk rock.

Platinum Shell said:

You're letting your inner Faggot Kid out again. Music is subjective, even when I'm with you on disliking Punk rock.

It's a joke, you fucking nitwit. Punky Brüster is Devin Townsend's parody album mocking punk rock. Don't comment if you're over your head.

dew said:

It's a joke, you fucking nitwit. Punky Brüster is Devin Townsend's parody album mocking punk rock. Don't comment if you're over your head.

Shitty humor that goes unnoticed is no skin off my back man.

Anyway, on topic, the only album I've listened to by them is Dookie. Not my favorite stuff, but I did enjoy it.

Not getting the joke doesn't equal being the center of calmness, iceman. If this was about you and your scope, the site would be called Assburgerworld. Townsend directly targets Green Day with Punky Brüster and mocks their sellout, fake punk style. In the process he also managed to created a great, funny punk rock album. I recommend you give it a try, which is what you should've done in the first place instead of instigating a fight with me.

Greenday? Some over marketed band I suppose? I could listen if it was green marine and music close to its name

I've never been a fan. I can't say I've listened to their early stuff any more than all the pop stuff that got way too much airplay back in the day, but I've never had much motivation to try either. It's a narrow range of punk, especially contemporary punk, that I like.

Have great memories of covering Bascet Case & When I come Aorund with friends at school when I was a teen. The great thing with punk is that everyone can learn how to play it... but mastering it takes more than three chords, ripped jeans & a snotty attitude.

Even if you dont like Greenday, you cant deny the energy & incredible live presence they have, even now in their arena rock era. Too generic & samey for my tastes, but they have their place. But The Offsprings first three records... oh god. Especially Ignition (1992), perhaps their most original and diverse album. They went downhill after Smash, but Ignition was their creative peak & where they found their real sound. Go listen to it now from start to finish!

I could never discern any musical disparity between Green Day, Blink 182, The Offspring, Good Charlotte or any other pop punk band. They all make the same music as far as I'm concerned.

Come to think of it, all punk music blurs together for me. Hardcore punk is where things start to get interesting, as I can earnestly distinguish one band's sound from another's.

Good Charlotte & later Blink 182 are def. more power pop\pop-rock oriented than early Offspring & Greenday. There's a huge difference between modern radio friendly pop-punk/dance punk & early 90s Skate punk/melodic hardcore. In fact, "pop punk" is an oxymoron nowadays. The Ramones were the only real "pop punk" band as far as I am concerned. The rest is alternative rock with pop & punk influences.

http://francisnegelprado.blogspot.no/2012/05/top-10-mind-blowing-ramonescore-bands.html

Bucket said:

One of my favorite stories from DEVO's early days was how the New York Dolls and the other CBGB regulars looked down on them because they didn't wear a shirt and tie like regular punks, and their music had weird time signatures.

In other words, DEVO wasn't punk because they didn't conform to the style and write music you could dance to.

Yes, and I'm pretty much saying that Green Day decided to conform to a very pop-friendly, "safe as milk" (to quote Captain Beefheart) style. There were punk bands that were cleaned up and had a softer sound, like the Stranglers or Dead Milkmen, but they're fun. Greenday just depresses me.

Platinum Shell said:

Shitty humor that goes unnoticed is no skin off my back man.

Anyway, on topic, the only album I've listened to by them is Dookie. Not my favorite stuff, but I did enjoy it.

quick heads up; you, sir, are a bit of a turd.

DoomUK said:

Hardcore punk is where things start to get interesting, as I can earnestly distinguish one band's sound from another's.

Especially when you start going even deeper in the different types of regional hardcore; 88' NYHC, West Coast Hardcore, UK bands, Italian Hardcore, etc.

However, I find anything that focuses predominately on breakdowns to be boring. Furthermore, the breakdown oriented bands sound like a parody of metal IMHO. I prefer hardcore to sound aggressive and fast; closer to original punk sound and attitude of the 70s and 80s.

I think that a lot of bands that call themselves "Hardcore" today, are really just ripping off of At the Gates, and E-town concrete, with shades of Emo; combining to make music that I personally reject.