Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Thoughts on the new Doctor? [Doctor Who]

I thought the stupidest one was love preventing the guy from exploding in Victory of the Daleks. Only Care Bears should have endings like that.

Average said:

The Doctor Donna was foretold quite a while before that by the Ood. It wasn't a 'quick' bit of writing. Anyway, even if it was I think it was quite a good way to get out of a very tight spot. I mean, how would you have written it if it's so "fucking, fucking stupid"?

EDIT: Spelling and took out an ill chosen comment.

More to the point, it was something that was foretold only to be a quick fix to a problem. Five minutes later she wasn't a time lord (because her brain would melt or whatever). The show is ripping through plot points like a kid with ADHD, tossing in whatever sounds cool. Shows like Adventure Time and Axe Cop do that, and they do it better.

To me, the most "fucking, fucking stupid" thing was letting Catherine Tate near the show in the first place.

Donna was, in my opinion, an awful, jarring, grating, chavvy, hugely frustrating, massively annoying character who always looked and behaved like she was in one of Tate's comedy sketches (unless she was doing her compulsory weekly crying scene to prove that Tate can act). Seriously, she makes that season (which otherwise had some very good episodes) almost unwatchable for me.

And its ridiculous resolution where it turns out he could have just let go and been fine!

EDIT: Damnit. Won't let me link the exact time. The relevant part is at 3:42.

The Doctor Donna was foretold quite a while before that by the Ood. It wasn't a 'quick' bit of writing. Anyway, even if it was I think it was quite a good way to get out of a very tight spot. I mean, how would you have written it if it's so "fucking, fucking stupid"?

i didnt say the doctor/donna thing was stupid, i was talking about that instance how she says some sciencey sounding mumbo jumbo and made the dalek ships all suddenly explode. i dont know how good of a writer i'd be, but you know, they had that 'reality bomb' thing right there they could've used. like she explodes it around the dalek ships perhaps.

but maybe the point was that she knew a way to stop them that the doctor didn't know. maybe thats all they were trying to convey.

Donna was, in my opinion, an awful, jarring, grating, chavvy, hugely frustrating, massively annoying character who always looked and behaved like she was in one of Tate's comedy sketches

i quite liked her actually. i really liked her relationship with tennant's doctor. imagine if it was another romantic thing like with Rose and Martha (*pukes*).

Bumpafuckingnory! New Doctor Who series is starting tonight. Will probably post thoughts on the new Doctor's performance tonight if I can be bothered anyway, have an official trailer.

Average said:

The Doctor Donna was foretold quite a while before that by the Ood. It wasn't a 'quick' bit of writing.

I hated how they hyped that shit up like it was a big world changer. "Oh, what are you.. What will you become?" and all that jazz. And then the DoctorDonna thing only shows up for not even five minutes until the Doctor has to turn it off because drama(?).

It'd be like foreshadowing some great task the Doctor must do to save himself and the universe, and then a season later it comes down to him just having to remember to breath occasionally.

It's like how in Resident Evil, Tyrant was hyped up as some super badass killing machine, and then when you get to him he's just a stupid retard that walks around until you shoot him in the crotch enough times. And yet the giant snake that could easily kill his ass isn't even mentioned anywhere at all.

It's a shame, Moffat wrote some of the best episodes when Davies was in charge: The first angels episode, Versailles, the library, and those fucking creepy gas-mask assholes in WW2.

Bizarrely though, Sherlock is really good.

geo said:

The new doctor is black right? Shocked these modern times haven't made him a woman like Watson. I've never watched any episode of Dr. Who?

Or how James Bond turned blond and how M got a sex change?

Thoughts on the Doctor (judging by the first episode) a detailed analysis of what I think of Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor.

Spoiler

He was good.

Though I was disappointed with the lack of swearing and by the lack of trying to help Govern a country. I do feel that in order to make a good doctor, it mostly boils down to the writing which let's be honest, was lacking last season. Hopefully, it improves.

I lost interest in this show when Matt Smith showed up and started acting like a retarded know it all child in every episode. David Tennant and David Ecclestan (or however you spell his name) are very good and serious actors and had both had very good seasons of the show (the episode with the WW2 gas mask kid was brilliant imo), and then here comes this doughy faced moron made to simply please the younger fans who lacks any sophistication whatsoever, has no mysterious nature about him and sucks out any desire I had to continue watching. DW is a good show...but yeah, I've kinda had my fill of it and I don't really care for it anymore.

And for whatever reason, this song always reminds me of the older incarnation of the show from way old BBC:

Springy said:

Though I was disappointed with the lack of swearing and by the lack of trying to help Govern a country. I do feel that in order to make a good doctor, it mostly boils down to the writing which let's be honest, was lacking last season. Hopefully, it improves.

Yes. The writing makes the Doctor. For an excellent example see Colin Baker. Most people who sat through his run in the 80s hated him. People talked about him being the worst Doctor ever, but when Big Finish put him audio plays he became very popular. He's really very good.

Foofoo said:

and i hated they even pulled some of that stuff in the 50th special. with all that crap about how they're going to forget it all at the end of the ep. i dont understand people.

Well the Moment was really fucking with space/time then almost as powerful as Bad Wolf. Maybe they're the same entity?

Bucket said:

I'd had enough of the show two years ago. The reboot was great and Eccleston was brilliant, one of the best Doctors if not the best. (And yes, I've watched them all since the 1980s.) Tennant was too emo and Smith is too clever for his own good. It started to feel like every episode was a straight march to the end, waiting for Smith to pull a solution from his ass (that he could've done at any time, sucking all the suspense and urgency from the plot). I'm just really tired of the show writing itself into a corner every week and Deus Ex-ing its way out in the last five minutes.

I kind of watched the 50th in the background.

Spoiler

The whole hand-waving of the Time War was stupidly contrived, and seemed to be a left turn for its own sake.

John Hurt was clearly shoehorned in after whatever stubborn asshole (probably Moffat) ruined the possibility of other Doctor appearances. I really do think he considers some the Doctors to be "not real Doctors" and paid them as little tribute as possible. If you read his old message board threads you get a sense that he looks down on people who take something different from the show than he does.

I could go on about Moffat. The show may improve now that the fangirls will be leaving, but it won't truly go back to normal until Moffat leaves.

Seeing Tom Baker in that episode was very good. I am surprised he is still alive.

As I expected, Capaldi was the best part of the episode. The story was a bit trite, but maybe things will get moving along soon.