Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FTuma

Other FPS games you play frequently

What are some other FPS games (not Doom-engine games) that you play fairly often?

For me: Wolfenstein 3D/Spear, Quake I/II, Duke Nukem 3D. All oldschool style and all with plenty of usermade content to expand the experience. Runner up also for the first two Serious Sam games (FE and SE - the original 2001/02 releases, not the HD versions).

The only two that I play more or less frequently are Doom and Unreal Tournament. I also have Wolf3D/SoD, Quake I & II and Halo CE, but I almost never touch them.

I got into playing Blood for a while, but partway through the second episode the semester began and I had to move onto other things. I love that game, though, and kinda wish I had the CD with the cutscenes and stuff.

Duke3D is also awesome, and...I think I stopped partway through episode 2 on that as well, for similar reasons.

Beyond those and of course Doom, I don't play many FPS games. I guess I like to pick up Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Wolf3D for the nostalgia factor from time to time, and when we have friends over I like a good game of Halo, too.

I recently went through a phase where I played a lot of Wolf3d, and before that Serious Sam 3, but those have sort of faded. The only other FPSes I play with any frequency are Quake 1 and Doom 3.

StupidBunny said:

I got into playing Blood for a while, but partway through the second episode the semester began and I had to move onto other things. I love that game, though, and kinda wish I had the CD with the cutscenes and stuff.

Duke3D is also awesome, and...I think I stopped partway through episode 2 on that as well, for similar reasons.

Beyond those and of course Doom, I don't play many FPS games. I guess I like to pick up Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Wolf3D for the nostalgia factor from time to time, and when we have friends over I like a good game of Halo, too.

Do you know of any port that will run Blood without DosBOX?

Goldeneye: Source has been one of my main ones since 2009 - LOT of fun I've had in that game. Killing Floor has been another one since 2010, and I've been playing that one quite a bit recently. Otherwise I've mainly still been playing Doom for the most part. I did play Deus Ex: Human Revolution this year and really enjoyed that game too.

Team Fortress 2 and the past few months Duke 3D.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and occasionally TF2 with friends are the shooters I play the most besides Doom.

StupidBunny said:

Allow me to save you some trouble. The cutscenes are utter dogshit. Yes, it was the late 90s, so I can forgive the VGA palette and low resolution. The problem is that they're just really ugly and haphazardly tacked on. It would have been far more entertaining to present it like a comic book with slight animated nuances, like the Twisted Metal 2 cutscenes.

Oh, and one more thing, if you get the full version of Blood (which is on Good old Games for super cheap), you get a lot of really interesting content, even though some of the maps are kinda boring. There is unfortunately not much user made Blood content, but if you check the Wiki, there are some really promising looking ones that look to be of high quality.

Half-Life 2, Black Mesa, Shadow warrior, Quake Pretty much pc fps
Although Im getting back into Halo CE for xbox and Goldeneye007 on N64

I guess CS:GO is the only one I play with any regularity anymore. Even that, I play a lot less than I used to and have taken some long breaks from it. I want the old competitive drop in, drop out matchmaking back. Playing on 24/32 man "competitive" servers sucks, but so does getting roped into a team of random players and punished for leaving if I'm not having fun, or playing casual mode.

Finally broke the TF2 addiction, the game just stopped being fun after most of the servers I used to play on died. If I join a random server in that game, there's a good chance I'll be at the top of the scoreboard by the end of the round. Where's the fun in that? Decided to finally uninstall earlier this month rather than downloading gigs of updates I couldn't care less about.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I want the old competitive drop in, drop out matchmaking back. Playing on 24/32 man "competitive" servers sucks, but so does getting roped into a team of random players and punished for leaving if I'm not having fun, or playing casual mode.

Yeah, the current competitive system is way to strict for me. Plus, people are the biggest pricks and like to kick other players for no reason or an otherwise insignificant reason.

If I am playing story driven games, I can't play same game over again too often, because all the details are still etched on my retina. Mindless multiplayer are completely diffrent chapter, I haven't played fps games online for few months but earlier played tf2, l4d2 and some other games quite often. I got very fond memories of medal of honor allied assault multiplayer. Still remember all the maps quite clearly, I wonder if there still are active servers

Zero Tolerance on Megadrive. I'm patiently waiting for someone to rip the sprites so I can convert that shit to EDGE.

Far Cry 3 on PC. That game is massive. The missions are frustrating though. The only saving grace is the free and open game world. The patch that unlocks the Wingsuit and the South Island is very cool. Flying for a kilometer through the air with the Wingsuit is awesome.

I play the odd bit of Mechwarrior Online (although technically it's Third-Person too if you prefer to play it that way). It's a good example of how a free-to-play model doesn't have to be unbalanced by paid users getting extra kit to play with, since teamwork wins above all else. I mostly use this sexy beast, the Jagermech JM6A. I like the fact that it's quite technical and each mech spec you come up with has to be a balanced compromise, factoring in things like cooling, speed, armour and firepower.

I'm not playing any FPSs regularly these days. I'm trying to get into STALKER and a HL2 mod called Synergy. The rest of my time is used up by Star Trek Online.

Jayextee said:

Zero Tolerance on Megadrive. I'm patiently waiting for someone to rip the sprites so I can convert that shit to EDGE.

Well... Good luck assembling everything from tiny patches. :) I saw some tools capable of properly viewing enemies, but I don't remember them being able to export complete images.

I'm not the one who ripped those resources; I just did some quick cleanup.

Recently, not a whole lot. I can name the shooters I spent a lot of time in to but I rarely dovetail them in with Doom and certainly not to the same extent.

Not regularly, but just lately I've been playing Shadow Warrior + expansions like it's my freaking job or something. I always found it too hard when I was a kid, but now I don't have much trouble even on the hardest difficulty. Really enjoying all the fun secrets, and also how the levels are designed to be played from pistol Shuriken-start.

Currently on Wonton Destruction expansion, and loving it; not really digging how each level [of the expansion so far] places a Riot Gun pretty much right out of the gate, because I LOVE using the Katana/Shuriken, but whatever, they're still viable.

I've always loved playing Duke3D and Blood, but I think I may actually prefer Shadow Warrior to both of them! (Despite the fact that, objectively speaking, the levels aren't nearly as well designed.)

I'm a bit upset that I still can't get the software mode 'classic' version to work smoothly enough, but the OpenGL version isn't too shabby.

The latest games I've played recently were Doom 2 wads, Crysis 2, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and Quake 2 with the Berserker graphics mod.

I got the original Shadow Warrior off of steam with it's revamped menus and things and I have to say that that's taken my attention away from Doom for the most part. That and Eldritch. If you haven't played Eldritch, do so now!

Up until recently I used to play the "Quake" series regularly, mostly in multiplayer mode. However, I noticed that the community of "Quake Live" has diminished in number leaving only high-skilled players behind. I must say it left me frustrated - having to play long hours only "not to get owned 20:0", any chance of winning not even in the equation. That's why I left and decided to play more Doom which has a vastly superior single player mode to any Quake game ("Quake 2" being the closest, but still far behind). Since the levels don't "improve" with time, now I can actually feel my skill progress. Something hard to achieve when playing online, because other players also improve constantly.

If we're also talking about non-frequent playing, then I play lots of FPS, but I usually finish them once and uninstall from my hard drive. I recently finished the very first "Unreal Tournament" and decided to finish other games of the Unreal series so now I'm playing "Unreal Gold". I've also bought "Rage" since it's finally available on Steam in Europe, but I will play it once I finish "Unreal".

I've been playing half life and its expansions for a couple of days now, Other than that I've been playing battlefield 4 or Ghost Recon Future soldier