Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scripten

Video Games with Worlds

Recently I've been in a nostalgic mood and have been looking for games that have the old "world" layout, like Donkey Kong 64 and a number of other games. I know there's a lot of them out there, and I'm curious to see which ones have the most fans around here.

In my own experience, for example, I found Mario 3's worlds to be far more compelling than any later titles, but I'd love to see everyone else's take on this idea that seems a bit lost this day and age.

[edit]Oops, I misunderstood the post.

I'm gonna go with Warframe. :P

geo said:

Zelda 2.

Very much this. Zelda 2 is, in general, probably the most underrated Zelda game and I'd love to see a more modern take on the game. We are, after all, talking about a game that's essentially a metroidvania with multiple towns and an overworld which is pretty rare.

Jodwin said:

Very much this. Zelda 2 is, in general, probably the most underrated Zelda game and I'd love to see a more modern take on the game. We are, after all, talking about a game that's essentially a metroidvania with multiple towns and an overworld which is pretty rare.

Zelda 2 is awesome. I specifically chose Zelda 2 because it has an overhead world map, but the game isn't like that map. If you like Zelda 2, give Battle of Olympus a try. Its less fun and more dangerous, but its still worth your time to give it a try. That game was Metroidvania.

Anyway, a 2D Zelda game would be awesome. I remember the first time I got into ROM hacking, I made my own little Zelda 2 game. Then Super Mario Bros X came out and you can literally make a Zelda 2 game with Link and the same play mechanics, complete with turning into a fairy.

Maybe Zelda Oracle of Seasons because it has two different worlds you transistion between at times, the main one and Subrosia.

Super Panda Adventures. It's not free, but demo is available.

SNES oldies I remember: Demon's Crest - very short, but atmospheric; Dragon View - has a gimmicky pseudo-3D first person world exploration mode and a nice storyline.

DooMAD said:

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World game.

Yep I remember that one. Good game.

geo said:

Yep I remember that one. Good game.

Oh man, that was a particularly good one.

Actually, now that I think of it, I've heard the Rayman series has various themed worlds, though I haven't yet played them. Anyone ever play the Croc games? They were for playstation, which I only rented, but I recall them being rather fun.

Every game has a world. In microsoft hearts the stupid green table is the world. In a text only game, what is being described is the world. Ok, maybe a text only game where the text starts like "you don't exist and don't wake up nowhere one daylessness. You're definitely not in a world or anything. There is no mass or place to go. You can't die because you don't exist. Do you A) Quit game or B) Quit game?"

We should limit perameters here. What are we talking about? How Dragon Quest is a world with maps that have the same design as the world? Or are we talking about games with a world map, but the actual gameplay is nothing like the map such as Actraser, Mario World, Zelda 2. Are we talking about Metroidvania worlds like Battle of Olympus, Metroid, Symphony of the Night. Maybe we're talking about open worlds like Arkam City or GTA V?

Yeah, that was my bad. I wasn't very specific when I made the OP. Basically, I've been looking for games with the whole "Ice World", "Sky World", etc. where you have distinctly themed levels, or sets of levels. Stuff like certain Mario games, Donkey Kong Country/64, and Spyro. (I suppose Sonic works here, too.)

Suppose we could say kiddie adventure games, but then Conker comes along and pisses all over that. :P

Hmmm.... Mario games of course, Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy games, Dragon Warrior games. Not all that much is coming to mind really. Zelda games.

They're less 'worlds' and more of 'lands.' Other than that, I really can't think of anything. Uh Tony Hawk games? There was one that went to Canada.

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures
Hocus Pocus
Jazz Jackrabbit

Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds :p

Comedy answer: Doom. World 1: Phobos; World 2: Deimos; World 3: Hell, World 4: Earth

Gez said:

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures
Hocus Pocus
Jazz Jackrabbit

Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds :p

Comedy answer: Doom. World 1: Phobos; World 2: Deimos; World 3: Hell, World 4: Earth

Moons != worlds :-)

Earthbound.
It may be old, but the way it works is pretty swell.

The cities act like 'worlds' or 'zones' or whatever.
And you can go back and forth to each one once you've found a way to get through the road blocks...

Membrain said:

Yeah, that was my bad. I wasn't very specific when I made the OP. Basically, I've been looking for games with the whole "Ice World", "Sky World", etc. where you have distinctly themed levels, or sets of levels.

Oh, in that case, I go back with my original suggestion: Jazz Jackrabbit! I thought you meant something more along the lines of having a Mario style level select with "worlds" and/or old school RPG world maps.

Membrain said:

Yeah, that was my bad. I wasn't very specific when I made the OP. Basically, I've been looking for games with the whole "Ice World", "Sky World", etc. where you have distinctly themed levels, or sets of levels.

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure? :P

Probably stretching it, but I'd almost say Episode I Racer for the N64, with "Sky World" (the maps that all took place in the sky and were fuck all Nintendo-Hard), "Desert World" (Tatooine, sorta like a boss world), "Jungle World" (Complete with volcano courses!), "Asteroid Prison World" (Zero Grav tubes), "Ice World" (Slip n Slide!), and "Spice Mine Slavers World" (Complete with ass loads of moving tractors as obstacles).

And Frogger to an extent, with variations on Road World, Urban World, Dark Cave World, Forest World, Dirty Pipes world (A favorite), and some others.

Gauntlet Legends all day. DK 64 is one of my favorite N64 games.

In that same realm, Kirby 64 and Bomberman Hero all had different worlds to visit. Those are definitely worth a look if you can get a hold of them.

Megaman II for the Gameboy as well. Spent more hours on that one than I can count.

I almost think I remember reading the instruction manual for Gauntlet legends online when I was much younger. I recall reading about differently colored portals and having to complete a number of worlds before progressing.

Also, 3D Frogger was amazing. I need to get that game again. Seems like nostalgia has given me this idea that there were a lot more games with those unique themed levels. Weird that there are so few even from the N64 era.

Mayhem in Monsterland.

Kudos if you ever played that game, it was one of the very best C64 games.

Definitely classic Sonic as well though.

Clonehunter said:

Probably stretching it, but I'd almost say Episode I Racer for the N64, with "Sky World" (the maps that all took place in the sky and were fuck all Nintendo-Hard), "Desert World" (Tatooine, sorta like a boss world), "Jungle World" (Complete with volcano courses!), "Asteroid Prison World" (Zero Grav tubes), "Ice World" (Slip n Slide!), and "Spice Mine Slavers World" (Complete with ass loads of moving tractors as obstacles).

Is that as good as Pod Racer was? Fuckin' loved that game. Wish Episode I didn't suck so much that no one would bother making any new games out of it. Would love to see Episode I Pod Racer Episode II: Revenge of the Pods