Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Ramblings of a possible closeted misanthrope

A sad fact of life is that most people aren't talented, interesting, funny, or especially intelligent. I can say with unequivocal certainty that I'm none of these things. But I know I'm not alone. Most people range from useless to mediocre in all aspects of life, and we play with the cards we've been dealt. The best that we can strive for is being a good all-rounder. Exceptionalism is reserved for the exceptional, and all that.

But I've come to this realisation that the internet gives a voice to people with nothing to say, wherein they're celebrated by the easily-amused. Certainly, there's some genuinely gifted people out there with something meaningful or impressive to share with the world, who would perhaps go unnoticed without this technology, but they're vastly outnumbered by the number of people who aren't remotely gifted. Spend some time looking at YouTube videos, blogs, Twitter, forums etc., and the proportion of vapid, pointless shit compared to memorable, inspiring or stimulating stuff is disparate to say the least. In a hundred years' time, no one is going to give a hoot about what some nerd thought about the most esoteric feature of a video game, or someone's Miley Cyrus parody video, or the cerebral diarrhea that some nobody Tweeted. I give whoever happens to be reading this at the time permission to violate my grave in whatever way they wish, if my soothsaying blooms erroneously.

inb4 someone addresses the irony of this post. You know what I'm saying has at least a shred of truth to it. Personally, what I find most worrying about this is how the novelty hasn't worn off. Why do people have such a bloated sense of self-importance, and why hasn't there been some kind of social enlightenment to dispel this scourge of narcissism?

Funny is dime a dozen. In the words of Slipknot. Ppl = Sht

I think you've just hung around the wrong people. Everyone I know outside of the Internet is really productive, talented, plenty of college degrees and intelligence, some are creative, everyone seems to be funny (even my gf at times). The people with the higher degrees seem to be the dumbest though. My nurse practitioner cousin and her doctor and nurse friends are idiots and always question themselves even in their job. They have no clue sometimes except for one of their nurse friends is really smart and is far more knowledgeable.

When people are stricken with problems such as stress, depression and anxiety it can sometimes be quite hard to be creative and talented or even think straight.

DoomUK said:

I give whoever happens to be reading this at the time permission to violate my grave in whatever way they wish, if my soothsaying blooms erroneously.

I predict there'll still be a handful of geriatrics on these forums arguing over whether or not wallrunning is cheating. I'm also considering a space burial, which would make my grave difficult to violate.

I've been on a forum outside of this one that said Doom / Quake player speed was cheating vs modern sluggish "realistic" player running. Its all just Mario vs Castlevania. Mario runs fast and dodges everything, its part of what makes the game fun vs Castlevania that makes you tackle foes, because you can't outrun them.

DoomUK said:
...Why do people have such a bloated sense of self-importance, and why hasn't there been some kind of social enlightenment to dispel this scourge of narcissism?

Well. You know there's id? Sadly, there's also ego...

Avoozl said:

When people are stricken with problems such as stress, depression and anxiety it can sometimes be quite hard to be creative and talented or even think straight.

Ha, and you think you're being original by calling yourself a possible closeted misanthrope on Doomworld? We've got plenty of the real deal already, you wannabe.

geo said:

Funny is dime a dozen. In the words of Slipknot. Ppl = Sht

I love how you quoted Slipknot in your statement. No sarcasm.

Its true. Rawr PPl = Sht. Rawr.

It seemed appropriate.

Original post is more intelligently-written (not to mention, grammatically-correct) than 99% of mine and 99% of people's Facebook feeds. For unexceptional, that's at least something.

But I'm feelin' ya, bro.

Jayextee said:

Original post is more intelligently-written (not to mention, grammatically-correct) than 99% of mine and 99% of people's Facebook feeds. For unexceptional, that's at least something.

But I'm feelin' ya, bro.

Yes I guess if we're judging Facebook and how little people have to read things and comment on them the world is full of idiots. You can spend an hour explaining something and have no one read it, or you can write 'goen 2 sleep' and get 150 likes when you have 25 friends.

Thanks for saying what a great deal of people are too chicken to, myself included. It's difficult to have faith in the human race nowdays, isn't it?

Obsidian said:

It's difficult to have faith in the human race nowdays, isn't it?

and this is pretty much exactly why I love my imagination, and the influence that many things, Doom included, has had on it.
It's a far more pleasant place to be, cyberdemons included. None of this reality bullshit.

Yeah. I think most people have at least some need to callously insult and injure others without reason, regardless of how well they've learned to hide it with kind words and smiles. Am I really expected to believe that the average person has transcended their animal roots to become an ethical, compassionate adult? I think it really says something when everyone is willing to work an endless, meaningless grind every day, with a few breaks to make it look like a facet of an advanced, civilized culture instead of enslavement. People have a need to enslave and be "boss". Modern society has sanitation, floss and toothbrushes, plumbing, anesthetic, and temperature control, and while these advances are good things, I think the old habits of racism, misogyny, and a complete ethical vacuum, things which reigned supreme for thousands of years, are still there.

I have really horrible dreams, the kind of thing I feel like I would have if I was locked up in solitary confinement. Again and again, it's always images of humans acting unthinkably cruel, acting mechanically and exhibiting an utter indifference for the value of beauty and innocence. I'm inclined to think that this is the stuff that most people are really made up of, with a few good people unknowingly surrounded by it.

Obsidian said:

It's difficult to have faith in the human race nowdays, isn't it?

No. It's not. As a species, we're probably doing our best ever. I'd take living now over any other period in history.

To be impressed by anyone's -supposed- misanthropist/misogynist rantings here on DW, they must more or less post a story of how someone's hot neighbor girl-next-door knocked on their door, offered them cake and wine, and then stripped naked and pretty much spread-eagled/assumed the position for them on the couch/on the floor, begging them to take them hard right there and then....and they turned her down/sent her away. Maybe. That's how high the threshold has gone around here.

Avoozl said:

I find that this is generally how people feel in real-life. Perhaps most of what we see on the Internet is thoughtless because people are too mentally taxed in reality. Maybe the mask of being anonymous encourages them to behave foolishly, so they can escape from being serious in their daily lives.