Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

3DGE: Star Wars/Dark Forces mod

A mod that began it's life as a part of a bigger project (a Dark Forces TC) but alas it eventually faded out of existence. I did put a lot of work into it though and have since then updated and polished it time and time again. I figure it is in a state where it can be released now. All weapons, enemies and items have been replaced (say for the backpack) and it introduces a lot of gameplay differences, these are

Armour functions differently, it is more frequent and saves more damage but enemies do more harm and will not infight.

Radiation Suit and Lite Amp Visor have been replaced with Gas Mask and Night-Vision Goggles, respectively. Once found, these are activated manually with the [Action1] and [Action2] keys. They both require batteries which replace the health bonuses.

Weapons have a more focus on strategy, some weapons are ideal for certain situations while others for other situations and just about every weapon has an alternate attack.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bgw1jfttszwj4wg/Forces.wad

Good mod actually.

CeeJay, I'm kind of sorry that these your mods aren't getting attention, which I guess is your aim, to make people interested in EDGE. I probably know why it doesn't seem to work - gameplay mods just aren't going to thrill people as much as maps do, for example I personally don't regularly play PWADs with any gameplay mods. Once I try a mod and (through cheating) get familiar with everything it offers, I don't launch it anymore.

You are the expert on your own field, but wouldn't it be better try to push through with some maps too? If your mod arrived with at least one map designed specially for it, using EDGE features... It'd lose its status of a pure gameplay mod, but if the map was good, if the map was good... I'd be excited and many people too as I believe. Take it into consideration.

If I'm missing something because I don't know much about the EDGE port and about you, I apologize.

This seems like a very nice implementation of the Dark Forces stuff into Doom. Good job.

I've played both of CeeJay's other mods, and enjoyed them. Would be more interested in this if it had the maps (i.e. was more a TC than a mod).

Doom 4ever was fun though.

I'm not a mapper i'm afraid, I know the basics but that's about it. Too lazy I guess, or it's like the old saying: "You can't teach an old dog tricks." Besides, poking around with code and changing the behavior of stuff has always been the first and foremost attraction for me. And that's what I am good at. So, in a nutshell, you can either get well-made gameplay mods from me or shitty to half-decent maps.

And hey, you can play this with any maps you'll like. I did design it with vanilla maps in mind.

EDGE in itself is a remarkable contraption, I can't recall the direct things which make it distinct compared to other engines but modding wise their are a lot of variables and additions that can be crafted thanks to the diverse DDF system making it a fine choice for tweaking and customizing content.

The engine itself though is sub-par from my experiences, it has problems using/detecting Timidity+ unless you know how to mess around with the configuration to an extent, and the lighting options and gamma settings seem pretty awkward in contrast to PRBoom or ZDoom but concerning how it plays, pretty damn good.

I have a lot of experience using EDGE mainly from the classic Immoral Conduct but it's great to see other potential mods making their show on EDGE :)

I myself only played around 1/4 through Dark Forces about 2/3 years ago as I never knew of it in my childhood and since it was on an old PC, DOSBox was chugging but now having redeemed this issue no excuses!

All I can say is perhaps it would go nicely with the maps in this but you'd have to rip out all the custom content.

http://www.doomwadstation.com/main/starwars.html

Is it possible to have laser projectiles which have all directions like the rocket projectiles?

They already do. They have rotations. At least the standard blaster projectiles (red and green). You might not be able to see it as they move very fast.

Bloodite Krypto said:

You can pretty much play this with any vanilla/boom level set you wish. As for that conversion, those levels are OLD. '94 or '95, and while they are impressive for the time they still do show their age in places. Fun fact: They are apparently based on actual blueprints used for the movies.