Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-13: A THANKSGIVING WITH NO BURGERS

Well, here is the first alpha release of 32in24-13: A Thanksgiving With No Burgers!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6650582/32in24-13/32in24-13_alpha1.zip

This just contains all the maps submitted here except for essel's unfinished bonus map and the superjamie map that was "Disqualified for being shit," ordered based on when they were posted in this thread. That makes 47 maps in all. It uses the picture at the beginning of the thread as the TITLEPIC (downsized from 640×400 to 320×200) and it currently has a temporary INTERPIC.

Some notes for this alpha: All levels in MAP01-32 that don't have music determined use the default music for the map slots they're currently in, and all levels in MAP33-47 that are the same way currently use D_RUNNIN. Nodes were rebuilt on some maps for various reasons: I had to insert Player 1 Starts into "The Tragic Burger King," "Marbled Blue Cheese" and "The Aftermath of Taco Bell" because the authors forgot to include them; "Chicken Bites Arena 9k" has a REJECT lump built because some source ports crap themselves if they try loading a map with a zero-byte REJECT; and Mechadon's maps have their nodes rebuilt because they had extended nodes for no reason whatsoever.

Oh, yes, and pcorf's update to "Super Sweet Candy" is not included in this version because the WAD file he linked to cannot be opened after it's downloaded. How did that happen?

Either way, enjoy!

The Green Herring said:

Oh, yes, and pcorf's update to "Super Sweet Candy" is not included in this version because the WAD file he linked to cannot be opened after it's downloaded. How did that happen?

A bit of snooping with a Hex editor suggests it's an incomplete upload, should be around 128k in size.

GreyGhost said:

A bit of snooping with a Hex editor suggests it's an incomplete upload, should be around 128k in size.

I did have some trouble uploading it before, no response so I stopped it. Deleted, reuploaded it. Oh will reupload it again.

HERE IS THE REUPLOAD: http://www.paulcorfiatis.com/pc_cand.wad

I tried it and it works.

I noticed that only 60kb of the file had uploaded before.

I have a map I might be able to submit tonight that I made independetly from this yesterday, but then abandoned cause it didn't work out as planned. I'll have to convert it to Doom 2 tho.

If this is Ok, I'd be more than happy to submit.

Alright, I didn't have enough time to cover all maps. Sleep and job and whatnot, sorry! I'll cycle through the alpha TGH kindly slapped together.

map01 & map02: sgt_dopey
Covered here, no changes since.

map03: joe-ilya - Chips & Turkey Frenzy

This map is destined for brit10/exec-style carnage, so be it. The layout is purposeful chaotic mess, but navigation seems decent and easy enough. SSGs on spawn are a good choice. The BFG lift will, of course, get super-busy with every time it goes down, but that's the point of brit10esque monstrosities. The plasma side of the map is pretty good for its purpose, the RL side is terrible, heh. It seriously needs an easy, fast staircase to have a chance to grab the gun and get out in one piece. Waiting for that slow-ass lift is sure death. That would definitely tie the map together and create more balanced "opposing sides".

Destroy some DMspawns/SSGs, it looks almost comical in a map this size. Go with 8-10, imo. And if you want to add a bit of spice, I think a green armor could look good sitting on the edge of sector 28. Also the SG on the crate is hilariously useless. You can do something more interesting by adding several rocket boxes (stacked in one place at the center of the crate so they can't be jump-bumped) on it for the rocket guy to get more spam ammo to counter the BFG/plasma combo.

map04: gothic - Kentuky Fried Cacodemon

map05: pcorf - Super Sweet Candy

I've seen the revised version and I like where this is going. This map really caught my attention, it could work for larger DM, but also OS or NS 1on1, I think. Therefore I'm going to torture you a bit more to polish it further. :) They're just minor details anyways.

Delete rocket box thing 50. It doesn't fit with the symmetry and DM is all about dramatic item placement (the other boxes), heh. I'd also add either a blue armor or a soulsphere to the entrance to the exit room. This would serve as a counterbalance to the stronger, rather weapon-stacked BFG side. It would also look dramatic. :) I'd probably go with a BA, it's a stronger item and the BFG side has a GA within reach. Finally, make linedefs 616 and 619 passible - jumping there is harmless and blocking it feels fake (and you can jump into the candle alcoves).

map06: Springy - This Turkey Needs More Cocain Nigella

Alright, definitely an improvement. The 3d bridge is still FUBAR though, heh. I think there's more that could be done for fairer spawn placement. I drew a picture! If a spawn and a weapon is in the circle, it means move both. The straight short arrow on the left means flip the spawn's direction, heh.

map07: nub_hat - Discount Salughterhouse

Yay, improvement. Nice idea with the teleporter setup. The southern side suddenly seems more fun, even though I didn't expect that RL closet, heh. I thought the RL should be on a lift in the wall that comes down and then goes up again, hehe. Keep the closet, it adds some cover/irregularity to the hallway... but you can easily put the RL lift in it, heh. Also re: north area, I had something like this in mind, pardon the sloppiness. A bit of a gimmick for the part of the map, you know. Implement at will!

Re: spawns. Better, but looking at it, I'd nix spawn t. 31 - the BFG guy can look north and go full spam and he'll have four spawns going head on into the killzone from a tiny area. That's overkill, imo, one less spawn in that whole section won't be missed. I'd also move spawn t. 30 slightly south, so he doesn't share that hallway with the spawn next to him so intimately, heh. Finally, move spawn t. 41 sliiightly more behind the wall so there's less chance it's caught in some BFG rape bonanza.

map08: gothic - Chocolate Factory

Holy balls, this is massive. This is so humongous it puts the ginormous map04 to shame. This is most certainly not the scale DM usually operates with. :p It's next to impossible to balance this in an interesting way without gross scale down, UNLESS... chainguns. On all spawns. It is a chaingun map and people tap at each other from distance. Keep some SGs here and there for slight change of pace, but chaingun is definitely the only weapon that will work here (because we don't get to work with rails or lighting guns).

Remove all the other fluff - cells, rockets, most of the shell ammo. Provide just bullets. Keep those green armors, change the blue armor into a soulsphere and put it in the middle of that big area, not in the corner. REMOVE ALL HEALTH and start again - only put it in neat "patches" of, say, 3 stimpaks in one place and be skimpy, it's not fun if your target can heal all the time. Put them around corners, along walls, in significant places, not directly next/under the armors.

That's the only way I can think of this map can be turned into an unusual and hopefully working gimmick... the size slays it oterhwise.

map09: Hurricyclone - Ruptured Raspberries

Alright, let's see how it works. I thought the powerups would be at the axes of the edges instead at the tips, but maybe this'll work better. It's hard to predict with this sort of crazy gimmick. Can't wait to try it out.

map10: Cacowad - BWT This is Definitely Tomato Sausage

One thing I forgot to mention: you can climb or rocket jump on all the edges. That is often considered charming and DM players enjoy these slight abuses of map design (they rrrrreally don't give a crap about immersion), but looking into void looks a bit like ass here, plus rocket jumping into those blood "chutes" (?) just gets you stuck there. How to fix without adding unnatural blocking lines (something quite unpopular): make the blood chutes corrosive, add fences to the borders of the map.

dew said:

map06: Springy - This Turkey Needs More Cocain Nigella

Alright, definitely an improvement. The 3d bridge is still FUBAR though, heh. I think there's more that could be done for fairer spawn placement. I drew a picture! If a spawn and a weapon is in the circle, it means move both. The straight short arrow on the left means flip the spawn's direction, heh.

Oh I see, I'll do that next time. I didn't realise you wanted people on actual weapons (I haven't done that with my duel maps) but I can see how that will improve game play (I've noticed this used before back in the day). Alright, cheers sunshine, I'll put those changes in next time and make sure that fucking bridge works. I was originally going to have all the ledges have 3D bridges but thought against it.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading feedback on my map, heh. I can think of at least a few things that could use improvement, so...

Also looking forward to checking out the compiled WAD when I get home, for the helluvit. Listening to the selected music while at work, at least. (Where's Chips & Turkey Frenzy's from?)

Well sadly I wont be able to tune up my first map(second one was a joke map) due to having a recent hard drive crash on my computer so anyone is welcome to make certain tuning up if necessary.

Alright, I guess I'll split into a new post, heh.

map11: Marcaek - Tongue Deep in Stromboli

Hmmm... interesting. The map looks bigger than it really is, that's probably caused by the semi-closed looping design. It's definitely a competent layout. Could've even worked as a OS/NS duel map, but that's hamstrung by the patently FFAish powerup generosity. And yes, it should be FFA fun, resembling GW2 or, uhm, maybe mancerx in style.

I see potential worries like the guy going for plasma jumping into tele, sweeping SSG and soulsphere, etc... but I think that's duel thinking, it's gonna get spread around more evenly in FFA, so maybe get a test game, see if someone finds something abusive, heh. Definitely remove cellpack t.75 tho. I'd probably remove spawns 36 (along with the SSG) and 38, the former is needlessly close to a bunch of other spawns, the latter is kinda helpless and not entirely necessary, imo. Give the guy on top of the ledge just a SG and stick the SSG into the now spawnless alcove. :) Maybe even put a switch that'd lower the soulsphere platform there as well, so there are two ways to grab it, like the blue armor.

Here's a bonus task: put a BFG on top of the bigger central "mountain", but make it hard/awkward to get (bump?) even with jumping. :)

map12: 40oz - Late Night Porking

The map's just too tiny to fit the assignment, so I don't blame you for not knowing where to put more spawns. I'm afraid those triplets are... not a solution that'd go into the books as groundbreaking, heh. It's a silly safeguard against telefrags at best, but I'm wondering about the counter-effects like player stacking at lower player numbers, heh.

If it was a 4-spawn map, it'd probably be pretty fun for 2 to 4 players. I'm wondering if switching blue armor and plasma gun would work better, I just don't feel like going up for the PG is worth it when you can rake in frags with the SSG/RL. It'd also kinda empower that guy with no SSG at hand instead of allowing him to get a blue armor but no weapons, heh.

Are the two shotgunners present in DM on purpose? It is a bit of an underused feature...

map13: ClonedPickle - Apocalypse Aftermath and Frank's Factory for Spicy Sauce

Ugh, my eyes will hate you for eternity now, those are truly spectacularly bad visuals, heh. Gameplay-wise this should be an interesting experiment. Basic spawn weapons with the bigger ones being farther from the action and in slightly disadvantaged positions, plus that risky edge (and clever BFG placement). Could work, could be way too messy, heh. However I'd probably kick out like 4 spawns. My hottest adepts would be t. 9, t. 45, t. 21 & 29 (along with their SGs). Even t. 66 if I felt particularly puristic. Oh and when I rode up that green armor platform outside, I was kinda disappointed there wasn't a window to jump through into the building (to the SSG pillar).

map14: TheMionicDonut - The Guacamole Shuffle!

That's a pretty solid layout and already a nice looking map. Upon closer inspection I find the heavy weapons to be placed fairly in spots of interest, Cool. I'd probably put the central arena SSG from the trench behind the fence so it's a visible tease... and put the backpack down in the sludge. And, of course, remove the cell pack entirely, heh. Speaking of removing - excessive spawns ahoy! Definitely one of the two CG spawns at the outside SSG, also spawn t.17 and definitely t.29. That should suffice, hopefully. Everything else seems reasonable and justifiable, so just fingers crossed it plays well.

map15: 40oz - Slow Dance Chubby

Okay, there might have been a reason for those ridiculous spawn triplets in your tiny map, but you have the space here, so there's no excuse. You don't need to use all 16, go with 8-10 and throw in some SGs or CGs for them... just mark them multiplayer + not cooperative if you don't want them there because... uh, single player. This is a pretty cool E4-style map with good layout, the power items are nicely spread and access to them is evened out, so it'd be a shame to break it with such a flawed mechanism (imagine bombarding that triplet destination with RL or BFG while many people spawn quickly). There's room for a spawn at the RL, at the lower SSG, in the southwestern corner (+ a CG?), somewhere southeast (possibly no weapon or just SG, what with the PG around the corner)... etc.

Alright. NEW revision of "Tap Water and Mayo Sandwiches."

I redesigned the map to more APTLY fit the title.

The new description? Here it is:

Not everyone gets to see a turkey on the table for Thanksgiving. In fact, some people don't even have soda or juice boxes; they have to drink out of the tap and eat slices of Wonderbread slathered in mayonnaise to celebrate this all-American holiday. Come visit the welfare office to help yourself to a free meal. Too bad all the unhappy welfare recipients brought their guns with them, though, so it's gonna cost you a fight or two to get YOUR fill.... Good fucking luck.

The new music is: Gary Moore - A Cold Day In Hell

http://speedy.sh/hcKrP/tapwatercrackhouseedition.wad

EvilNed said:

If anyones interested, I did a bit of mapping yesterday for an idea I had for a SP level. I wasn't to happy with it, but when I saw this thread I just converted it into a DM wad instead.

Here it is. Donut.

http://www.filmklubben.eu/wads/DONUT.wad

:I

map16: Tango - The Tragic Burger King

This is a pretty classic greenwar-style map. Very open layout, roam where you want, SSG in hand... and the design has a clean feel to it. It'll probably need more players to properly fill in, but hey, that was the goal. So yeah, this map doesn't need to cut spawns, they're fairly spaced out and hopefully their amount won't confuse players.

One thing though, I'd probably mix up the special ingredients. The RL and plasma are both in one place, so I'd put RL where GA is, it's such a nice spot for it. GA would go where the two cell charges are... and those would go into the slime right under the GA (now RL) pedestal. That should hopefully produce some extra movement around the map beyond "go kill that guy".

More from me tomorrow. I'm sorry it's taking so long, but last time I took a day off for the sesh and I used up most of it on checking maps. So yeah, this is pretty time consuming and I didn't get a day off, heh.

Hm... looks like you missed my update, TGH. Link! to the newer version of the map. This one had a player 1 start as well as a couple of minor fixes to details and one major bug.

Looking like some high-quality layouts as well as some ridiculously humorous concepts. Look forward to actually playing this (hopefully for Nitro?)

Snakes said:

Hm... looks like you missed my update, TGH.

Shaikoten said:

To everyone making revisions, please post the new wad in a new post in this thread. DON'T EDIT OLD LINKS. New posts let us know what is most recent.

dew said:

map13: ClonedPickle - Apocalypse Aftermath at Frank's Factory for Spicy Sauce
Ugh, my eyes will hate you for eternity now, those are truly spectacularly bad visuals, heh. Gameplay-wise this should be an interesting experiment. Basic spawn weapons with the bigger ones being farther from the action and in slightly disadvantaged positions, plus that risky edge (and clever BFG placement). Could work, could be way too messy, heh. However I'd probably kick out like 4 spawns. My hottest adepts would be t. 9, t. 45, t. 21 & 29 (along with their SGs). Even t. 66 if I felt particularly puristic. Oh and when I rode up that green armor platform outside, I was kinda disappointed there wasn't a window to jump through into the building (to the SSG pillar).

I couldn't find thing 66, but otherwise I've implemented most of this feedback. Except for the visuals because that's a lot more work to fix (and hoo boy do they suck, ha ha). But yeah, I was definitely cramming the hell out of player starts trying to reach 16 (which is dumb of me) and I didn't think of that SSG window idea. I like it.

linku: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84200934/aaffss-2.wad

I only learned how to properly use them for this compilation/contest/whatever, myself. Pretty pleased with the outcome.

dew said:

map05: pcorf - Super Sweet Candy[/b]

I've seen the revised version and I like where this is going. This map really caught my attention, it could work for larger DM, but also OS or NS 1on1, I think. Therefore I'm going to torture you a bit more to polish it further. :) They're just minor details anyways.

Delete rocket box thing 50. It doesn't fit with the symmetry and DM is all about dramatic item placement (the other boxes), heh. I'd also add either a blue armor or a soulsphere to the entrance to the exit room. This would serve as a counterbalance to the stronger, rather weapon-stacked BFG side. It would also look dramatic. :) I'd probably go with a BA, it's a stronger item and the BFG side has a GA within reach. Finally, make linedefs 616 and 619 passible - jumping there is harmless and blocking it feels fake (and you can jump into the candle alcoves).

Symmetrical? ... did you mean 100% symmetrical?

Fixed all the above and submitting it. So be happy with your candy treat and don't come complaining to me if your dental bill empties your bank hehe.

paulcorfiatis.com/pc_cand.wad

yo i forgot to put exits in my maps here they are
first map with an exit added, moved some spawns, added a hallway in the north bit and allowed the south rl closet to close itself after a bit
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c1pqp7rbwj0n42k/32in2413nubhat1d.wad
second map with an exit added and a small hom fixed
http://www.mediafire.com/download/okw424be162wgcv/32in2413nubhat2b.wada midi for my second map
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j3bodho17771wz2/32in24132nubhat.mid

Guys I found a huge problem with this 32in24

[01:44] <ClonedPickle> SHIT
[01:44] <ClonedPickle> 32in24-13 was a failure
[01:44] <ClonedPickle> no mentions of lunchables
[01:46] <@Xaser> D:
[01:46] <@Xaser> someone rectificate this