Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Some Guy Beat E1M1 in 9 seconds!?

Disclaimer: I did not do this speed run and therefore take no credit in doing this demo.

Anyways some guy beat E1M1 in 9 seconds the best I got was about 12 seconds, so whats your best time.

http://doomedsda.us/wad947m111.html
9 seconders include Light_Speed (UV Speed, TAS), Adam Hegyi (NM Speed), Vincent Catalaa & Selim Benabdelkhalek (Pacifist), and Relic (No Monsters).

But the fastest runs are in 8 seconds. They include Kimo Xvirus, Jonathan Rimmer, and Looper (all three: UV Speed, TAS), and HexTheRex (No Monsters).

You may wish to note that Do0minat0r was one of the many aliases used by our multi-repeat troll Brandon/Joe Todd/Megadoomer, etc.

Eris: try with just strafe-40. It's a run where good fluid movement is very important.

I've just tried it and got 13 seconds, which I presume is snail pace by the local standards. I played on Ultra-violence.

Also, I used PrBoom+ so it's not "legit".

Grazza said:

You may wish to note that Do0minat0r was one of the many aliases used by our multi-repeat troll Brandon/Joe Todd/Megadoomer, etc.

Eris: try with just strafe-40. It's a run where good fluid movement is very important.

Huh?

Off topic: I thought Megadoomer was only put in the losers section not banned?

On topic: The best time I got was 11, I think I can't remember.

Spoiler

Minutes.

In all seriousness though, you have to put into consideration how many recording attempts it takes to get these kind of times on the demos. The more times you practice in recording the better the demo will be in terms of time. Unfortunately I'm rather impatient when it comes to stuff like this but recently I've been putting a lot more effort in.

Was the purpose of par time originally meant only for a race like game type with no monsters against other players?

I once beat it in like 12-13 seconds. It took me like two weeks.

Grazza said:

Do you remember this?

Grazza remembers EVERYTHING! In time you'll realize that is true, and probably be wishing it wasn't. ;-)

Springy said:

Off topic: I thought Megadoomer was only put in the losers section not banned?

Off topic: I don't think there's all that much difference between a ban and being more-or-less permanently losered.

On topic: Straferunning still requires conscious effort on my part and getting old isn't helping either. I don't expect to be threatening any existing records.

9 seconds... lol I guess it sounds believable because E1M1 is easy as fuck :P

Avoozl said:

Either he's taking notes or he has a very good memory, most likely the latter.

He's a chess player. He has memorized every possible opening (post).

My best time's 10 seconds, after 5 or so attempts at beating 11 seconds. Then I thought "what the fuck am I doing wasting several minutes trying to match/break/set meaningless records?" and just carried on playing casually as usual.

GreyGhost said:

Grazza remembers EVERYTHING! In time you'll realize that is true, and probably be wishing it wasn't. ;-)

Off topic: I don't think there's all that much difference between a ban and being more-or-less permanently losered.

On topic: Straferunning still requires conscious effort on my part and getting old isn't helping either. I don't expect to be threatening any existing records.

Just to clear things up, are people confusing me with "Do0minat0r" or am I just misunderstanding these posts?

I've never been able to do better than 10 seconds, and even at that I only get one 10 second run for every 15 or so 11-12 second ones.

Was able to get 9 (with strafe50, without it must be a nightmare). Funny because I was using PrBoom+ with default -complevel, and it seemed much harder (-complevel 3 took me only a few tries, though it may have been luck).

I also did Map 01 of Doom 2 in 5 seconds, though that seemed a little harder (took me 25-30 minutes, maybe more, not too sure).

There's certainly much more impressive feats in Doom speedrunning (though both E1M1 in 9 or Map 01 in 5 without strafe50 is still very, very difficult in my opinion).

I thought I would never beat it in 10 seconds, because I had lots of "nearly perfect" 0:11 and 0:12 runs in the past, but I recently got 0:10 with a very improvable run. So... erm, maybe I'll beat it in 9 seconds one day. I'm still not good at speedrunning.

Perhaps my favourite E1M1 run is the one from Doom Done Quicker.

Aside from my TAS 0:08, I think I did a regular 0:09, long ago, just to see if I could. Adam H's 0:09 with shotgun for ddqr was just something else though. Absolutely amazing.

My proudest achievement on e1m1 was actually getting 0:11 in an episode run, going the blue armour route, which I think I was the first person to do. I was never able to match Adam W's ability over the rest of the episode, but at least I had that.

Strangely, my most longstanding achievement on e1m1, my 0:29 max, is the one I'm least proud of. Such an ugly, error strewn performance, but somehow it ended up being a record time. The gods of speedrunning love to mock us.

You're THAT Jonathan? O_O
Have you ever considered trying to improve the time? Something as fast as 26 seconds might be possible, though managing to get the same perfect conditions as the 29 must be very difficult

I spent some considerable time in the early 2000s trying to improve on it, partly because I was somewhat embarrassed by how bad that 0:29 looked, but I was never able to. It's a frustrating run, there's little real skill involved: You just roll the die on several long distance shots, monster movements and infights and hope they all come off. I was never able to manage the randomness like the best pacifist and tyson players could.

I've occasionally tried again since, but I don't usually have the time or patience for speedrunning anymore. Ten years hasn't done my reaction time any favours either, and having to play through DosBox is a pain. Still, maybe, one day...