Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Destroylio

New Map needs testing.

So I posted the first two levels of my Mega Wad in progress and I was asked to keep posting levels as they were completed. I've been touching up the first two levels I posted before and have, as well, been working on levels 3 and 4 respectively.

I am pretty sure I have level 4 pretty squarely nailed down as far as game play, ammo and game mechanics... Some minor texture offsets need to be fixed but I really wanted to drop this demo so I can see what you folks think.

I made it a lot shorter, less repetitive and I play tested it for UV/N and there is no doubt enough ammo and health to get through. I think with a little polishing off this wad will make a nice, new addition. Hope to hear what you guys think and as usual any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Map:

.WAD File:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35tkPob3f1WNlNEZk5XdGc1XzA/edit?usp=sharing

The switch below the crusher which I guess it's meant to open the door at its right seems not to work, maybe I'm doing something wrong, anyway good start room, I died twice :)
EDIT: btw where can I get the previous maps?

nicolas monti said:

The switch below the crusher which I guess it's meant to open the door at its right seems not to work, maybe I'm doing something wrong, anyway good start room, I died twice :)
EDIT: btw where can I get the previous maps?

*spoiler alert
Those two switches under the crusher in the first room are just bait to get you to go take a run under there. Along with the health potions on the far wall.

Also the unupdated versions of level 1 and 2 can be found here:

Level 1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35tkPob3f1WRDJ6UXIxRjFZcXc/edit?usp=sharing

Level 2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35tkPob3f1WQ1pDOTM5cVBmQ28/edit?usp=sharing

Ok, That door won't open because you have 2 parallel action lines too close one from each other, I dealed with this problem in my maps before. Try to move that door back, let's say 8 or 16 units to make it work.

Hello there, its me again.

I'd like to say that i did enjoy this level despite its difficulty.
The map itself wasn't much a problem to navigate through, and again looks rather good.

I tested it in UV and that was probably a mistake, after numerous attempts i barely got far.
I had to just keep using resurrect for the rest.

Now to point out some 'flaws'.

- The first room is fairly hard on a pistol start.
Most times you'll be eating a mouthfull of bullets and already
out looking for health.

- I think there could have been more health and possibly armor.
At one point all i could find was the megasphere secret, which
was alot more trouble than it was worth. And except armor bonuses
and secrets, the only armor you get is near the exit anyway.

- Weapons. Ammo was fine and plentiful, but the weapons themselves
were not. The Plasma Rifle, Rocket Launcher and Super Shotgun are
obtainable only by secret areas.

- Those monster traps. The one after the megasphere secret and the
two at the lava being the main ones. The first is rather
unavoidable, the only hope is to escape and lure them out.
The second has hell knights and chaingunners in a small space, and
nowhere to run if you didn't take out the demons that teleport in.

The third trap however seems to be avoidable. If my doom builder skillz are correct, a switch there opens two small rooms of imps. Walking into one of these rooms is enough to move on with the level. The switch inside reveals more monsters but doesn't need to be pressed.

Also demons after the red key can also be avoided if you grab it then head the long way around, and you can be trapped in a small section of the lava room if you fall in on the west wall.

Yay wall of gibberish.

Thank you very much for the review. I have found these quite helpful thusfar and it's giving me great insight as to where I could improve my work. I still feel as though parts are very amateurish but I feel every level I successfully complete gets closer to being a more solid, well packed level.

I'd like to experiment as well with adding new music/textures and whatnot but I have never quite figured out how to add midi's or texture maps effectively. As in, I figure out how to add the PWAD to the WAD but not how to actually change the music or implement a texture.

I use the last release (full version) of DEEPSEA. Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Destroylio said:

I'd like to experiment as well with adding new music/textures and whatnot but I have never quite figured out how to add midi's or texture maps effectively. As in, I figure out how to add the PWAD to the WAD but not how to actually change the music or implement a texture.

I use the last release (full version) of DEEPSEA. Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Download XWE http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/

XWE edits the WAD lumps. The easy way to add music is to open your WAD file (not the IWAD, because you don't want to change that), click on the "Patches" button at the bottom, and once in that window, go to the "Entry" menu, choose "New," which opens a dialog box, and write the name of the music track you want to replace. If it's for Map01, you'll write D_RUNNIN, then go to the Entry menu again and choose "Replace." You then navigate to wherever your new music track is -- which has to be renamed, ahead of time, D_RUNNIN, select that, click OK, and exit XWE. Natch, your music should be in MIDI, MOD, MP3, OGG or whatever format your port or vanilla Doom will play. The same technique works for sky textures and probably regular textures, too.

Here's a YouTube video by Chubz, who's an expert with XWE, showing how to change the sky texture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9aWU5g7ynM

Other people like Slade or SlumpED. Have fun!